• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised GSL TODAY!

Glyfair

Explorer
But that said, I now view the GSL as an acceptable license and I will be accepting it and using it and supporting 4E.
And that, for me, is exactly what I wanted for this updated GSL.

I will feel even better when I see a 4E Tome of Horrors (or variation thereof) from Necromancer, and a handful of adventures.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
But that said, I now view the GSL as an acceptable license and I will be accepting it and using it and supporting 4E. That doesnt mean I have to like everything about it. I dont. But it is now acceptable to me for use.

Clark

The main reason I hang around GSL threads is to hear news like this.

To The Rouse: Thanks!

To Clark: Get to work! :)

jephlewis

First Post
Clark, i'm glad to hear you're going to be making stuff for both pathfinder and 4E. I think it's a win-win for everybody.

I'm especially looking forward to your 4E products, though ;).

At Scott Rouse:

Thank you!

Most sincerely, I thank you.

From the bottom of my heart.

I know this has been a burden to you, and I am incredibly grateful that it has finally been released. I think you have a huge burden off of your shoulders, and for that I am glad.

I can only hope this version is well received.

Based upon what I've seen on the Necromancer Games main page, I think it is.

Again, thanks.

Thasmodious

First Post
I will borrow an expression from the title of another thread to react to the 3PPs that have stated the new GSL works for them and they will be getting to work on 4e stuff -

SQUEEE!

pawsplay

Hero
This is a much better license. It's still a straightjacketed, one-sided mess, but it's a kinder, gentler one-sided relationship. Mind you, it's still a violation of the license to state in a product, "Elves are outdoorsy." But at least you aren't walking the tightrope without a net any more. Six months is a generous sell-off, and if you can get past the condescension of being treated like a fansite or modder, the clauses about changing and terminating the license look all right.

It is, at least, no longer automatically preferable to not use a license than to use the GSL, which marks a qualitative improvement.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I for one appreciate the fact that it was as open as it was. Thanks to that, we have True20, C&C, Babylon 5 RPG, Conan, and many, many others. On the other hand making the OGL as open as it was allowed for the games I just mentioned, which did not require a person to own any WotC books to play them. If you can make a convincing argument on how that's good for WotC from a business standpoint then I'll agree with you that it wasn't too good.

It keeps players within the "network" of d20-mechanic-based systems, and thus a lot easier for Wizards of the Coast to bring them into the fold with a cool sourcebook, a new edition, or some sort of online subscription service or what have you than they would if they had completely abandoned D&D.

Take a look at some of Ryan Dancey's early posts about the purpose of the OGL and its benefits to Wizards of the Coast. You might find them enlightening.

--Erik

JoeGKushner

First Post
It keeps players within the "network" of d20-mechanic-based systems, and thus a lot easier for Wizards of the Coast to bring them into the fold with a cool sourcebook, a new edition, or some sort of online subscription service or what have you than they would if they had completely abandoned D&D.

Take a look at some of Ryan Dancey's early posts about the purpose of the OGL and its benefits to Wizards of the Coast. You might find them enlightening.

--Erik

And while youre posting here Erik, will Paizo be doing any 4e material at this point? Some of the books Paizo does are almost stat free now and others might take some work but things like Rise of the Runelords which are OOP might be good books to experiement with for 4e.

Kunimatyu

First Post
4e Pathfinder would be interesting -- my suggestion would be for Paizo to create a 4e-compatible Adventure Path by revising their very first one ("rise of the runelords"?). The content's basically there already, expands Pathfinder's reach, and keeps Pathfinder as Paizo's preferred system for the time being, since the most current Adventure Paths are going to come out for Pathfinder well before anything else.

Remove ads