Reworking weapons... need some input.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
If you use the CODE tags your formating will be preserved.

Your Greatsword problem would be solved by using a d12 for damage instead of 2d6.

In truth, the actual name of the weapon is just flavor text. Weapons in the game fall into certain slots:

Type {Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing}
Damage {1, d2, d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, xd4, xd6, xd8}
Crit. Range {20x2, 20x3 = 19x2, 20x4 = 18x2}
Use {Light, One, One-half, Two, Double, Thrown (10-50), Projectile (50-120)}

Proficiency is generally determined by weapon attributes and weapon feats.

Weapon Feats are added to the weapons to give them some tricks. Weapon feats are hard to determine the combat value for because they depend upon the type of opponents a character will face over the couse of a campaign. Some of them are:

Charge bonus
Conceal bonus
Disarm bonus (+2, +4)
Double-headed (OR condition)
Entangle
Flurry (i.e. monk weapon)
Multiple damage types (AND condition)
Metal hafted (a metal hafted club would become a mace)
Reach
Reach + Adjacent attack
Set vs. Charge
Sunder bonus
Thrown (added to a melee weapon)
Trip bonus
Weapon Finesse

You could make a matrix of the possible values (720 counting only single die and leaving out 1d20) and fill it out with the weapons you want in it. Personally, I feel that melee weapons (at least for Medium characters) should only use one die for damage and projectile weapons should use two dice.

Cost should be derived from weapons attributes and feats. It should represent the weapon's combat value or at least economic value, but the prices in the PHB are more arbitrary.

Last edited:

Raigon

First Post
Just remember that the 2h weapons deny the wielders the use of a shield. Something to consider when balancing weapons.

I have been in many conversations and read a plethera of post that regard the problems with system. I admit the weapons are not all created equal. If you feel that this is a problem in your games then I wish you luck in balancing the weapons. I have never felt that this has ever been a problem in my games after all bad guys use great swords to.

mirivor

First Post
Raigon: That is true. There are a few problems with the system, however I still admire it at the conceptual level. Most people probably are not bothered at all by the weapons, but I am nearly analretentive about small things and so I must strive to correct what I see as a problem. I also agree with your last statement whole-heartedly.... as long as the bad guys have access to the same stuff, then everyone is on equal footing. I also have logical reasons for altering the weapons, although I do not breach them here because I realize that it is a fantasy game.

WaterRabbit: Although I have no actual matrix written down, I have nearly done what you suggested. Reach, bonuses to certain tactical maneuvers, multiple damage types, and other similar attributes all count against a weapon when determining its category and final stats. The flails, for instance, lose out on critical multiplier compared to other weapons because they grant special abilities for tripping and disarming.

I will post my entire chart later this week, hopefully in the correct format.

Later!

mirivor

First Post
Very nice, Sadrik. I like it.

Something else that I intend to do, for those of you who doubt my system here, is disallow Improved Critical, Monkey Grip, and the Keen enhancement, while using several homebrew feats. These include:

(Names are tentative)
Deadly Critical:
Requires weapon focus, proficiency with selected weapon, BAB +8

This proficiency will increase the selected weapon's critical range by one. This feat may be selected multiple times with a different weapon selected each time. Multiple selections do not stack.

Power Critical:
Requires weapon focus, proficiency with selected weapon, BAB +8

This feat will increase the selected weapon's critical multiplier by one. This feat may be selected multiple times with a different weapon selected each time. Multiple selections do not stack.

Weapon Mastery
Requires Weapon Focus, Proficiency with selected weapon, BAB +5

This feat will increase the selected weapon's damage die by one category. This feat may be selected multiple times with a different weapon selected each time. Multiple selections do not stack.

1D3 to 1D4
1D4 to 1D6
1D6 to 1D8
1D8 to 1D10
1D10 to 1D12

Note that under my system, no Medium-sized weapon has more than 1D10 damage or multiple dice for damage.

More input is welcome.

Later!

Remove ads