• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rich Baker: Bladesinger & Battlerager - Paragon paths in 4E!

Traycor

Explorer
Source

Rich Baker said:
Yes, we'll definitely pick up bladesingers quick. Paragon paths seem like the right way to go there. I don't think anyone's earmarked the battlerager yet, but I imagine you'll see it down the road.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I wouldn't be overly surprised if Battlerager took a backseat until the PHB2 comes out with the Barbarian, to make sure that they compliment each other well (rather than being redundant).

Irda Ranger

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I wouldn't be overly surprised if Battlerager took a backseat until the PHB2 comes out with the Barbarian, to make sure that they compliment each other well (rather than being redundant).
A Paragon Path cannot make a Heroic Class redundant. They're too different things.

Also, you may not know this (depending on how long you've played D&D), but the Battlerager was a AD&D 2E kit for Dwarven Fighters. I suspect it's still a good fit for Dwarven Fighters and ... um, Rangers? The Paths are broad though, so I suspect that once Barbarians do come out, it'll be a good fit for them too.

Traycor

Explorer
Personally I think the Bladesinger will be introduced as a Paragon Path in the Arcane book (at the same time the Swordmage class is released.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Irda Ranger said:
A Paragon Path cannot make a Heroic Class redundant. They're too different things.

Also, you may not know this (depending on how long you've played D&D), but the Battlerager was a AD&D 2E kit for Dwarven Fighters. I suspect it's still a good fit for Dwarven Fighters and ... um, Rangers? The Paths are broad though, so I suspect that once Barbarians do come out, it'll be a good fit for them too.
All very true, but being aware of what barbarians will look like will help them create a better battlerager, creating something that synergizes well as well as offering something meaningful to non-barbarians.

Stoat

Adventurer
I know they can't, but I wish they'd just come out and change "Battlerager" to "Trollslayer."

'cause punk rock dwarf suicide squads are teh awexome.

BadMojo

First Post
Traycor said:
Personally I think the Bladesinger will be introduced as a Paragon Path in the Arcane book (at the same time the Swordmage class is released.)

That sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't rule out an appearance in the Forgotten Realms book. Bladesingers have been fairly prominent in FR for a while now.

Sounds interesting. I guess we couldn't persuade Mr. Baker to part with some mechanics on this? No. Probably not.

ruleslawyer

TBH, I don't really understand the need for either a bladesinger or battlerager when the swordmage and barbarian are available classes. To me, these two archetypes are just those classes with (very light) race-specific flavor tacked on.

BadMojo

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
TBH, I don't really understand the need for either a bladesinger or battlerager when the swordmage and barbarian are available classes. To me, these two archetypes are just those classes with (very light) race-specific flavor tacked on.

I don't know a lot about the battlerager, but the bladesinger was always supposed to be a mobile, lightly armored fighter. I don't necessarily know if the swordmage will emulate that part. The duskblade certainly didn't.

Traycor

Explorer
ruleslawyer said:
Well, in R&C it mentioned that a swordmage can be a bladesinger, dwarven runic warrior, halfling dervish, or eldrich knight.

So really the answer is... you don't need a paragon path to be a bladesinger. But the paragon path will probably add some unique mid-level flavor to make the bladesinger different from other swordmage types.

Remove ads