• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rifts-Style Campaign Outline, critique please

st33d

First Post
Starting my second homebrew campaign. This time I'm preparing the world in advance.

A little background: I run open table games at a bar via a meetup.com group. Anyone can turn up and play D&D. I would drop people into an episodic plot, smoosh over the issue of how people joined the expedition into this mega-dungeon, and put off people asking to sell all the treasure I'd invented. It worked fairly well, and the last game was a fun romp backwards through all of the places visited in the campaign episodes.

I want to run something more tailor made for the open-table now. Please have a look at my Rifts-Planescape style world and tell me what you'd add to it, take away, or change. I've been sketching this out for a week or so now so I'm not objective about it - I really need an outside opinion.

Thanks in advance. (Cross-posted from /r/unearthedarcana, feedback is a bit slow in coming, don't know if that means I've written total rubbish or not.)

Attachments

• nex(dnd).pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 111

chriton227

Explorer
I'll pull in the PDF to look at when I get home this evening. When you say Rifts, are you talking about the Palladium Games post-apocalyptic game, or the Trion Worlds fantasy MMO?

st33d

First Post
Ah yeah. It was more the portal aspect of Palladium Rifts, and the ease of bringing in any characters from any setting as opposed to crapsack world.

See - I didn't get feedback for a while, and then I got some confused feedback on Reddit. Which made me review what I'd written.

The whole slavery thing is fun for a few sessions at most - but if you pin anything bad on a player, they'll want to spend the entire game unpinning themselves. And I don't really want that - I want them to treat Nex like an exciting place they might call home one day. An abusive relationship isn't the right track.

I've attached my current revision: I've retooled it that the players are bounty hunters and Nex is like a black market realm that does shady deals. Instead of collars, I changed them to bracers - it's less threatening. I can hide a sinister nature in them without a player flat out refusing to join in from day 1.

I still need to flesh it out more, but I think my second draft is a bit better. "You're all dimension hopping bounty hunters", sounds a lot more exciting than, "you're all slaves."

Attachments

• nex-revised(dnd).pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 100

chriton227

Explorer
I like the premise. I look forward to seeing it more fleshed out. I can just imagine the reaction of the players the first time they stumble across the ethereal representation of the bracers.

Remove ads