Righteous Might projectile weapons error

pawsplay

Hero
Sorry, but that's not possible, at least for well-written rules. If someone asks, "What determines the damage a projectile weapon deals, the projectile launcher, or the ammunition?" The reply should not be, "It depends."

That is not in question here. We are talking specifically about size, not a general principle of how damage is determination. There is nothing "impossible" about different size effects affecting damage differently.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
That is the question here. Either the size of the bow is what determines the amount of damage or it isn't. It's a clear cut example of the rules contradicting themselves. Reduce Person tells us exactly what determines the damage for a projectile weapon. And then Enlarge Person /Righteous Might goes completely against it.

Again, all I want is an answer to a simple question. What determines the base damage of a projectile weapon? This should not be a difficult question to answer, and it certainly wasn't in 3E.

pawsplay

Hero
That is the question here. Either the size of the bow is what determines the amount of damage or it isn't. It's a clear cut example of the rules contradicting themselves. Reduce Person tells us exactly what determines the damage for a projectile weapon. And then Enlarge Person /Righteous Might goes completely against it.

Actually, it only specifies it in relation to the size change.

Again, all I want is an answer to a simple question. What determines the base damage of a projectile weapon? This should not be a difficult question to answer, and it certainly wasn't in 3E.

The passages quoted in the OP are equally specific, they simply specify a different answer for a projectile affected by a specific spell, while providing the same answer for thrown weapons. Show me a general rule in 3e for the subject under discussion.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The 3.5 Reduce Person and Enlarge Person spell descriptions.
The fact that every single weapons table I can find shows damage values on the bow/crossbow/sling line and not on the ammunition line.

The table entries are the general rule, for lack of text in the description of projectile weapons, and the totally uniform response by the rules confirms it to be so.

pawsplay

Hero
The 3.5 Reduce Person and Enlarge Person spell descriptions.
The fact that every single weapons table I can find shows damage values on the bow/crossbow/sling line and not on the ammunition line.

The table entries are the general rule, for lack of text in the description of projectile weapons, and the totally uniform response by the rules confirms it to be so.

So in other words, nowhere. Riddle me this: enlarge person grants a +2 size bonus to Str, Righteous Might grants a +4 Str, and advancing a monster by increasing its size increases a Medium creature's Str by +8. How is that possible, given the totally uniform responses by the rules on matters of resizing?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I guess because the different spells enlarge you with varying degrees of physical improvement. They still all at least improve your strength score. And all 3 all seem to manage to make a medium longsword deal 2d6 damage, even despite those minor differences, which is the more relevant aspect to look at anyway.

Comparing magical boons to my question is also apples to oranges. My question wasn't even to what magnitude do the spells alter the base weapon damage of a projectile weapon. Merely what component of a projectile weapon determines the damage.

pawsplay

Hero
I guess because the different spells enlarge you with varying degrees of physical improvement. They still all at least improve your strength score. And all 3 all seem to manage to make a medium longsword deal 2d6 damage, even despite those minor differences, which is the more relevant aspect to look at anyway.

Comparing magical boons to my question is also apples to oranges. My question wasn't even to what magnitude do the spells alter the base weapon damage of a projectile weapon. Merely what component of a projectile weapon determines the damage.

Ordinarily, the rules make no provisions for a weapon firing ammo of a different size. So the answer is, "It depends."

coyote6

Adventurer
ThThe fact that every single weapons table I can find shows damage values on the bow/crossbow/sling line and not on the ammunition line.

Are you talking about in Pathfinder only, or in all D&D 3.e & descendants? If it's the latter, check out Races of the Wild, p. 165, where the various arrow types are listed under both bow and arrow -- but the damage definitely varies by the arrow.

Or Arms & Equipment guide, p. 7, for the blunt arrows -- listed solely under arrows. The name of the sub-table is "Ammunition", even.

Remove ads