• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Blinking - Questions

Infiniti2000

First Post
Pasus Nauran said:
Looking though the DMG for items I might want to buy, ...
My wife calls it the "menu." :lol:

Okay, so I really need to curb that attitude. :heh:

For me, 7 rounds of sneak attacking is more than worth the 27,000gp, especially when compared to only getting a single sneak attack with a 20,000gp Ring of Invisibility.
Also consider some scrolls of greater invisibility.

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:

Yeah, I try to play in character about the items I would know of, but it's hard when you have all of the books, crying out to be perused.

Infiniti2000 said:

Problem for me with that, is that I have a horrible Use Magic Device. I've put 1 rank into it so I can attempt to use it, but that's it.

Our party Sorcerer is taking Greater Invisibility though (we're in the process of levelling).

Infiniti2000

First Post
UMD is a major benefit to almost any character. It's especially useful in a non-roleplaying intensive style or even RP-intensive if you have spells/items you want to use for certain effects (e.g. alter self). My cleric has ranks in it and casts shield from a scroll every once in a while.

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
UMD is a major benefit to almost any character. It's especially useful in a non-roleplaying intensive style or even RP-intensive if you have spells/items you want to use for certain effects (e.g. alter self). My cleric has ranks in it and casts shield from a scroll every once in a while.

Oh, I realize. But when I created this character (about 2 months ago after my Mystic Theurge died), I decided to build him based on his character history, which is an intelligence agent. As such, he rarely had need for such a skill. He wasn't adventuring, and wasn't stealing or gathering magic items.

Now that he IS adventuring, his role is changing, and I'm levelling him to suit. Since our paryt was sorely lacking a decent search skill in a nasty dungeon crawl we just finished, I decided to focus on that for now.

ARandomGod

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Command-word Activated Item: Spell Level * Caster Level * 1,800gp

Normal Blinking Ring (CL 7): 3 * (7-2) * 1,800gp = 27,000gp

Advanced Blinking Ring (CL10): 3 * (10-2) * 1,800gp = 43,200gp

You now have a Ring of Blinking that lasts 10 rounds per activation.

Although really what you want to do is make it a continuous item, so in line one instead of multiplying 1,800gp multiply it by 2000 gp.

Of course, continuous items are also capable of being made so they can be activated and deactivated by a command word. An option you'll want to take with this item. In fact, in general you're doing something exceedingly special if you ever choose to not take this option, as it's free, and it adds versitility. (Which is one thing that makes this question come up... was this meant to be a continuous item that, of course, is made with a command word? Or is is a command word item that casts the spell when the command word is spoken? Those are two valid options per RAW, and I don't see where it states which one this is, nor for other items like the Hat of Disquise or Ring of Invisibility, etc.)

mzsylver

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:

Haha. I like picturing my character like a video game character and visualize dropping the different items from the DMG into the item slots.

As a side note, forget scrolls of greater invisibility... get scrolls of GREATER BLINK. A Ring of Greater Blinking would be a sweet magic item.

Pasus Nauran

First Post
One final question regarding the ring of blinking (or any ring that requires activation):

Can I re-activate the ring while it's duration is still in effect.

Essentially, I'd like to know that if I activate the 'Ring of Blinking' (which only lasts 7 rounds according to the book listing), if before that 7 rounds expires, can I use another standard action to re-activate the ring, and start a new 7 rounds?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads