• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ring of Spell Storing

maritimo80

First Post
The "ring of spell storing " can be used by characters who do not have level caster ? Eg a barbarian could use a spell that is already in the ring?
The idea is that the character does not cast magic but releases it as the DC and the original magician and not the usurer ring .
But the usurer could keep concentrated magic? He would have ability to do so ?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yes, non-casters can use the spells that are in a ring of spell storing.
Yes, they use the spell attack and spell save DC of whoever cast the spell into the ring when doing so.
Yes, the user of the ring is the one that concentrates on any concentration spell cast from the ring.

Lehrbuch

First Post
But the usurer could keep concentrated magic? He would have ability to do so ?

Assuming you mean "user".

This is answered in the rules, which state: "The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.". So, clearly if the spell requires concentration it is the user of the ring that does it.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes, the user of the ring is the one that concentrates on any concentration spell cast from the ring.
Since concentration is often the most onerous restriction of a spell, this aspect of the Ring makes it highly desirable for casters belonging to adventuring parties.

You give the ring to your fighter buddy and suddenly you can haste or fly him without having to concentrate on the haste or fly yourself.

What I mean is: initially you'd think the ring isn't too useful for a spellcaster, since you still have to concentrate on the spell you cast through it. But the answer is to not wear the ring yourself.

This goes a long way of keeping that fighter buddy of your back when he asks you to buff him, since now you can cast your excess spell slots into the ring each night before you go to bed, and still have your precious slots (not to mention your concentration) to yourself during the next adventuring day

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Since concentration is often the most onerous restriction of a spell, this aspect of the Ring makes it highly desirable for casters belonging to adventuring parties.

You give the ring to your fighter buddy and suddenly you can haste or fly him without having to concentrate on the haste or fly yourself.

What I mean is: initially you'd think the ring isn't too useful for a spellcaster, since you still have to concentrate on the spell you cast through it. But the answer is to not wear the ring yourself.

This goes a long way of keeping that fighter buddy of your back when he asks you to buff him, since now you can cast your excess spell slots into the ring each night before you go to bed, and still have your precious slots (not to mention your concentration) to yourself during the next adventuring day
In the case of one of my own campaigns, a ring of spell storing sits on the Assassin's finger filled with a few useful spells cast by the Necromancer. No buff spells at the current time, but just having the equivalent to a few extra spell slots and a secondary possible point of origin is of huge benefit (especially when said second point of origin is better able to reach and survive opportune placement).

Anthony Downes

First Post
I have a half orc Rogue arcane trickster 4/ cleric 1 (trickery domain) ranger 5 with a ring of spell storing (5th Ed). My AT universal spell was Shield.
I keep a few shield spells in there along with a few others and it has been life saving. He wears mithiral breast plate, (no stealth disadvantage)carrie a +1 shield. With dex ac 20, and can drop shield several times to bump to 25. Because it's coming from the ring of spell storing it negates the verbal and somatic, components, which is how it stacks w having a shield and weapon in hand. (Otherwise Warcaster feat to make that work). I've been able to put heat metal and a few other spells in there at times because of various party casters.

Point being, it can be by of use for any character if you have access to spells to replenish be them. Having your party wizard, bard, whatever cast a lvl 1-5 spell in it isn't a big deal and can be very useful.

Remove ads