RIP Morbius

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think this was true at some point, but film and TV criticism has aged out of that kind of default stodginess. When you have critics writing lovingly about video nasties and sticking movies like Peter Jackson's Dead Alive on Best Of lists, the bow ties and cuff links have largely come undone.
Snobbery and stodginess are often overlapping, but they are distinct and separate traits. A lot of snobbery in the year 2022 is not at all related to bow ties and cuff links. I would say that it's been at least a solid 20 years since art snobs were primarily particularly "stodgy" types.

The snobs of today grew up listing to Nirvana, as much as Bach, but they're no less elitist snobs. They've just changed the definitions and aesthetics to fit their own nostalgia. But it's just as much about adherence to technical and aesthetic canon, and subjective preference presented as if objective analysis.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Literally no art is telling you that, if you don't like it, it's because you don't get it.
No art is telling anyone that, maybe. (and that's a big maybe, because there absolutely is pretentious garbage out there that talks down to it's audience and is intentionally needlessly complex or technical in order to keep out the riff raff. Especially in music and film.)

Plenty of people in discussions about art do. Hell, I've seen teachers of various types of creative work do it.

Read 100 reddit discussions about art of any kind, and you'll see it in at least half of them.

Just saw this on Netflix. Wasn’t horrible

Not sure why Leto gets so much hate? Did I miss something he did

Matt smith was a good bad guy

Jared Harris was in the movie but it felt like a wasted opportunity

Al madrigal-wanted more of him in the movie. Never heard of him before

This should have been a direct to video/streaming movie. Other than the fancy purple/red slowmo it was a typical vampire tv/movie and nothing special. 200 million for what?

Ryujin

Legend
Just saw this on Netflix. Wasn’t horrible

Not sure why Leto gets so much hate? Did I miss something he did

Matt smith was a good bad guy

Jared Harris was in the movie but it felt like a wasted opportunity

Al madrigal-wanted more of him in the movie. Never heard of him before

This should have been a direct to video/streaming movie. Other than the fancy purple/red slowmo it was a typical vampire tv/movie and nothing special. 200 million for what?
I don't really like the guy, as an actor, but much of the hate probably comes from how well publicize of a nightmare he is on-set. Sending dead rats to his co-stars on "Suicide Squad" for example.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I saw it on Netflix also. Seems like it would fit right in as a Netflix movie. Most of them were not very good either. I try to put my finger on why it was disappointing. I think the short run time is one. At the end I thought; This is it? I thought it was well acted with what little they had to work with. Matt Smith was good as the villain. Too bad there wasn't more for him to do. The Vulture showing up in the post credits, I guess that was to link it to Spiderman No Way Home?

A thread 9 pages long, I skipped to the end and only read what was posted today. Some of what I say may have been discussed already.

Janx

Hero
saw it on the 'flix the other night.

meh. The whole "need a ship in international waters with mafia guards" seemed contrived. Yes, they wanted to avoid legal consequences for doing human experimentation. But surely something less awkwardly done.

And Dr. Who turns evil. No way. totally didn't see that coming.

The whole whipity flippity movement was just weird. Bat's don't do that. Why would bat DNA do that? It's like they needed to borrow Spawn CGI because the studio said so.

Even the cutscene with Vulture was lame. Now he wants to be a good guy? And why him? It's like they latched onto MCU's thing and badly executed it.

I think it's because some "method" actors like Leto are often a pain to work with and their unwillingness to break character while on set is nightmare for everyone else.

Not sure sending used condoms to co-stars is considered method, especially since he did that when he wasn't even on set. Between those awful shenanigans and his culty weirdness and general dumb-guy vibe, I think he's about as hateable as it gets (without tipping into criminal territory).

And yet, I think he can be great at times, like in Blade Runner 2049, or even back in My So-Called Life. Actors are weirdos, sometimes for good, often for bad.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Not sure sending used condoms to co-stars is considered method, especially since he did that when he wasn't even on set. Between those awful shenanigans and his culty weirdness and general dumb-guy vibe, I think he's about as hateable as it gets (without tipping into criminal territory).

And yet, I think he can be great at times, like in Blade Runner 2049, or even back in My So-Called Life. Actors are weirdos, sometimes for good, often for bad.

Honestly, I thought even his Joker was pretty good, just a version that we haven't seen for some time now (the malevolent theme gangster rather than the complete psycho).

Remove ads