• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RIP Veteran's Armor (2008-2009)

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, it's a lvl2 armor. It's -good- for lvl2 armor. Isn't Action Surge the best feat in the game? Aren't TacLords awesome? For lvl2 armor to give you a hint of that is good. So what if it doesn't have an OMGPOWERFUL power any more.

You're just being bitter. The Armor is still good. It's just not retardedgood anymore.

cjais

First Post
The very fact that so many players lament the loss of a level 2 magic item, underscores why this errata was so badly needed.

Solodan

First Post
Alas, poor veteran's armor, I hardly knew ye.

My wife just bought one, used it once, and now she must put it on the wall, never to be used again.

Though I must admit, it isn't dead, just comatose. The other ability is rather decent for a level 2 armor. Had I never seen the daily power, I think I may have considered it as a good item with some human builds.

-Avalon-

First Post
I, for one, lament not! For my characters are vastly and overwhelmingly heavy armor wearers, and I am tired of seeing the rogues, rangers, and swordmages flinging around their dailies like they are almost encounter powers!

POWER TO THE PLATE WEARERS!!! "it's ok, I'm takin' it back.."

Thanee

First Post
IMHO the only necessary change was "free action" to "standard action".

As it is, they could have started the [Deletion] at the item's name. ;)

Just because many players take that armor does not equal it being too powerful. It might also mean, that players like to use their daily powers and have more fun that way. The trade-off for an extra action has been quite fair.

Bye
Thanee

Gruns

Explorer
What?

I, for one, lament not! For my characters are vastly and overwhelmingly heavy armor wearers, and I am tired of seeing the rogues, rangers, and swordmages flinging around their dailies like they are almost encounter powers!

POWER TO THE PLATE WEARERS!!! "it's ok, I'm takin' it back.."

But... Veteran's Armor is legal for ALL armor types, Plate included... I don't get the psuedo-rant...
Later!
Gruns

Aenghus

Explorer
Spare a thought for the poor merchants stuck with large stocks of veteran's armour +1 that used to be sold in multiples, for use outside of combat, and which will now mostly languish unwanted on the shelves.

Have sympathy for the wizard in my group, who instantly perceived the brokenness of the item, but now will never get to use it in that way.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
:-S Maybe I'm of subpar intelligence and/or my grasp of the relative value of daily powers compared to action points is skewed.

Characters can use action points to get extra actions. My understanding of game theory is that the ability to gain extra actions is usually the strongest (and potentially game breaking) option in a game. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in some of the 4e design notes or articles that the changes to spells, abilities and companions that granted extra actions were necessary because of the game breaking potential of extra actions.

So, what makes a daily power reuse better than an extra action? My game experience (somewhere on the order of 30 game sessions) includes a TacLord in every encounter; so maybe that extra action with action point seems more powerful to me due to the TacLord bonus?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well, it's a lvl2 armor. It's -good- for lvl2 armor.

In my opinion, it is not.

Isn't Action Surge the best feat in the game?

No.

Aren't TacLords awesome?

They are fine.

For lvl2 armor to give you a hint of that is good. So what if it doesn't have an OMGPOWERFUL power any more.

It's too weak now, and I doubt most people will ever desire this item. That's why so what.

You're just being bitter. The Armor is still good. It's just not retardedgood anymore.

Not appropriate.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads