• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Riposte Strike and ranged attacks

BattleAxe

Explorer
hi guys,

I was hoping I could get your opinions on a situation I had occuring yesterday in a game.

I was running a newish group through the Kobold Hall dungeon in the DMG and it came to the Big Boss fight. The Rogue got next to the wyrmpriest guy and used Riposte Strike and hit. The Wyrmpriest on his turn, used his shifty ability to get away from the rogue and went to blast him with his energy orb.

Now what happens here - the text of Riposte strike simply states that the rogue can interrupt with an attack against the wyrmpriest if he attacks him (which he did) - no mention of melee only.

The Riposte strike is a melee power, but the Hit effect doesn't state explictly that the attack that triggers it must be melee. which is a bit of a conundrum.

In the end for speed of resolution, I ruled that as the rogue had a dagger equipped he could throw it - but I'm not too sure now how this should be acted out.

Am I missing something - or this is another DM adjudication rule.

I'd appreciate some advice from those wiser in these things than I :)

Cheers

'Axe

MwaO

Adventurer
Riposte is a melee-only ability, hence the 'Melee weapon'

Page 56 explains that even if you're wielding a dagger, you can (only) attack a target within 1 square of you if you're using a Melee weapon attack power.

Tale

First Post
I'm tempted to say that you ruled right. The melee mention of the power only necessarilly refers to the initial attack.

However, given that the riposte is strength based, it would seem they intended the entire thing to be melee-only.

Majushi

First Post
I'm tempted to say that you ruled right. The melee mention of the power only necessarilly refers to the initial attack.

However, given that the riposte is strength based, it would seem they intended the entire thing to be melee-only.

Actually, by the RAI of it I feel the Riposte must also be a Melee attack.

And I'm inclined to think the "Melee Weapon" trait on the ability carries on to the Riposte which is still a part of the Power.

Tale

First Post
And I'm inclined to think the "Melee Weapon" trait on the ability carries on to the Riposte which is still a part of the Power.
Numerous powers carry a different range for additional effects than the range cited of the power. Look at Warlord powers, which have a Melee Weapon range, but grant bonuses to "all allies" or "an ally within 5 squares." You don't think those allies have to be within melee weapon range of the Warlord, do you?

It's just that the range listing of a power is not necessarilly true of all portions of the power.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Riposte strike does let you attack against a non-melee attack, sure... but it's still a melee attack itself, so shifting away saves you, unless you have reach, etc.

keterys

First Post
If the power said it let you do that, sure. But... it doesn't.

Not 100% sure how I feel about it as a house rule. Doesn't seem unbalanced, certainly, but I'm not sure there's a real gain to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
It'd be a basic ranged attack, and you'd have to be wielding a weapon that can be used in both ranged and melee combat. Not horribly imbalancing to me considering how many creatures and PCs seem to get free shifts all the time.

Saitou

First Post
Given that the text describes the additional attack as "Strength vs AC and deals 1[W]+STR damage" it is fair to think that what was meant was "make a melee basic attack."

RAI, to me, seems clear enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads