Rise Of The Snakemen [Forgotten Realms]

Brakkart

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
Next thing I know, I'm signing up for PbP D and D games. : )

When you're done with this one, sign me up for your next one. This one looks great, by the by. I haven't gotten the chance to play a rogue yet, though... a gnome cleric on one and a viking barbarian on another.

Love too, only this isn't a PbP game, we all sit around a table at the local games club every Friday night to play. You'd be very welcome to join us, but it'd be a hell of a commute!

And thanks, I'm kinda proud of this campaign, most of mine fold after a couple months, been going over a year now and the players are in chapter four. Considering I have plot through till something like chapter ten, this story hour will be ongoing for quite some time to come!

Well assuming my players are happy to continue with the campaign that is.

Last edited:

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty

From what Masembe told them, the party decided that the most likely location for Esau's laboratory was in one of the two stepped pyramids overlooking the vast plaza, as only those two buildings corresponded to the location they saw in the scrying pool back in Tashluta, of a balcony overlooking a vast plaza lined with standing stones. with this in mind, the group realised that they needed to head around the outskirts of the city towards the northern end of the vast partially ruined sprawl to be closer to where their target was most likely to be.

They stayed low, travelling by means of a shallow overgrown ravine, which had plenty of canopy cover, so as to avoid detection from the air, as now and then they shrunk down as the winged form of a Ssvaklor would pass overhead. It was while pushing their way past bushes and through hanging creepers that one of the plants made a lunge at Zamtap who was bringing up the rear of the group, a huge maw opening in the bush narrowly missing the priest with its bite.

Hearing the clerics call of surprise and alarm, Ki tumbled in and slashed at the Tendriculos with his claw bracer which had little effect, simply tearing off a few leaves which grew back within seconds. A huge vine tentacle shot out from the plant mass then, wrapping itself about the ,onks usually nimble feet and picking him up off the ground, he dropped into the creature cavernous mouth, wooden teeth puncturing his flesh and holding him fast. Another tendril shot out to wrap about Aeron. Zamtap spread his hands and chanted, calling into being a Spritiual Warhammer and sends it to bash the creature, while he pulls out a bottle of Alchemist's Fire. Never one for subtlety. Jebodiah simply bellowed and charged into the fray, attacking with his new handaxe, Stormcleaver slung on his back as he had agreed with the others in the group that the chance of it thundering was too risky, and the noise would be far too likely to draw unwanted attention to them. Ben was right behind the dwarf, the big ape tearing into the plant monster, and causinbg it enough damage to distract it, Aeron taking advantage of that to slip free of its grip and back away, his mind remembering lessons on dangerous flora, and figuring out just what it was they were fighting, he calling to the others "Bludgeon it!". Masembe simply started summoning.

Struggling in the creatures mouth, Ki managed to get a punch in before he vanioshed from view, swallowed whole and sliding into the creatures gullet, he swallowed a mouthful of its strange stomach juices, his body going utterly rigid as he could feel himself being digested! The creature lashed out with both tentacles, missing Jebodiah with both, and hitting the side of the ravine behind the dwarf with one of them doing itself some damage. The glowing warhammer continued to batter it, zam,tap drawing his own warhammer and joining in the assault, giving up on firing it now that it has Ki in its belly. Jebodiah snarled as his axe sliced through leaves but did nothing more, none of his blows hitting anything of substance, and the ground erupted beside him then, as an Earth Elemental, summoned by Masemebe joined the fray, though its rocky fists failed to connect, the druid moving a bit closer and beginning another summoning spell. As Ben tore into the Tendriculos, so Aeron cast Mass Enlarge Person to make it impossible for the creature to swallow any more of the group.

The Tendriculos managed to bite Jebodiah then but was unable (due to the dwarves sudden increase in size) to grab him, and its tentacles missed both Ben and Zamtap, the clerics own warhammer striking it again, though the spiritual one missed. The pain from his wound sent Jebodiah in a frenzied rage, the barbarian tearing into the creature and dropping it, though as he stood victorious over it, it was apparent that its wounds were swiftly knitting back together, new leaves and branches rapidly replacing those his axe had snapped off. Finishing his chanting, Masembe gestured and a Thoqqua tunnelled upout of the ground, but missed with its glowing point, the elemental failed to hit, Ben tripped and fell over and the druid moved up to beside the collapsed creature and also missed! From the back of the party Aeron clapped his hands and called out encouragement!

Zamtap's spiritual warhammer swiftly put an end to the Tendriculos, and the started to try and get Ki free from inside the pile of collapsed vegetation. Jebodiah calmed his breathing and regained control of his temper, feeling the after effects of having lost it, buit nevertheless lending Zamtap a hand to pull their monk out, helped also by Ben, the task quickly accomplished. While Zamtap saw to patching up wounds sustained during the brief battle, Aeron and Masembe searched through its remains, but found just 60 pieces of gold for their efforts.

Reaching roughly the area they wanted, the group paused to come up with a plan, eventually settling on Masembe's idea to head into the city in stages, working their way closer towards their target and hiding in the ruins, being as stealthy as was possible. With this decided on, Masembe (in snake form) and Ki (being his usual sneaky self) went ahead of the rest of the party to find a suitable location for their first campsite in the ruins, returning a couple hours later to report having found a derelict bazaar of sorts, though with one snag, the place had numerous snakes lying around.

"Great," muttered Aeron "more instant dinosaurs".

With the possible threat of having one or more Ti-Khana creatures to deal with, the group debated trying to find another location, only for Masembe to point out:

"It's a city of snakemen, snake-like monsters and snakes. Wherever we try we are going to run into snakes. Ki and I looked at a few places, this is the best location we could find, some of the buildings still have roofs which we'll need to hide under to stay unseen by the Ssvaklor's".

With that in mind, the debate ended and the group readied itself for a possible fight as they made their way towards the ruined bazaar, activating brooches and casting numerous protective magics on themselves and each other, particularly Neutralise Poison.

Deciding to enter the bazaar from two of the alleyways that led into the broad courtyard, Ki sneaks down one, while behind him Masembe began summoning, while Jebodiah simply charged out and swung his aze into one of the many snakes basking in the tropical sunshine. Aeron flew up and hovered just over a ruined building at the edge of the courtyard, casting a Dispel Magic on several of the slumbering snakes that had no effect, while Zamtap moved into the courtyard also and readied a casting of Doom.

Masembe gestured and conjured a crocodile into being, its jaws snapping at a snake near Ki but missing, as the snake shifted form, growing and growing, to the alarm of the nearby monk and those watching, it taking on a huge two legged form, massive jaws filled with dagger-like teeth opening as its eyes spotted Ki almost instantly , drawn by the monks attempt to move stealthily. Jebodiah finished off the snake he had sliced already and on seeing the huge shape of the Ti-Khana Tyrannosaurus Rex, he ducked into a doorway. From his vantage point, Aeron had a grand view of the great lizard and imediately cast Phantasmal Killer at it, but the spell merely hurt the creature.

DM's Notes:

Figured I'd end the groups run of T-Khana creatures with a real doozy. I love T-Rexes, have done since I was a kid, and I'm a huge fan of the Jurassic Park movies so it was kinda inevitable that I'd fit one in somewhere in the dinosaur jungle. A shame I couldn't have a Spinosaurus really, but a TK Spiney would be like CR 15 and there is no way the group would survive that fight! Tricky part is I need the party to go up a couple levels so either they face lots and lots of creatures (not really realistic, such losses would soon be noticed by those in the city and a far more more powerful force than the PC's could handle would be dispatched to hunt them down), or a few tough battles against higher CR rated creatures. Neither option is without its difficulties though!

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty One

Huge jaws snapping forward, the T-Rex bit Ki, fangs pumping venom into the monks helpless form as he was lifted in its jaws up off the ground. Ben bounded forwards, hands pummelling the ground as the big ape raced to help, his claws opening a gash on one of the mighty lizards leg, while the crocodile failed to bite the towering dinosaur. From behind his animals, Masembe began summoning another ally, as Jebodiah charged past, his axe hacking into the Tyrannosaur's other leg. Aeron flies across the bazaar to hover abover a building nearer the fray and he cast a Ray of Enfeeblement at the big lizard, but it failed to do anything. Ash who had been brining up the rear of the party, headed into the courtyard and on seeing what they were up against, immediately cast a Bull's Strength spell on himself. Zamtap chanted out a prayer and cast Mass Lesser Vigor on Jebodiah, Ki, Masembe, Ben and himself and then moved in closer to the melee.

Tossing its head back, the T-Rex swallowed Ki whole, the monk groaning "Not Again!" as he slid down the creatures throat, it then stepping back. Masembe summoned another crocodile, but it vanished as soon as it arrived, the Tyrannosaur's jaws tearing it apart. The other crocodile and Ben closed the distance with the Rex, the croc again missing, but both of Bens claws raked across the scaly hide of one leg, opening further wounds. chanting non-stop, Masembe pressed on with summoning, calling for another creature to aid him. As the stomach acid of the T-Rex took its toll on Ki, so he used his wand to try and keep himself alive a little longer, closing some wounds even as more apeared. Jebodiah's axe hit but once, doing very little, while a volley of Magic Missiles from Aeron had no effect, the wizard growling about "goddamned magic resistant monsters". Moving towards the battle, Ash took the time to cast Divine Favour on himself, while Zamtap cast Prayer to boost his allies, but it failed to have any effect on the dinosaur in their midst.

the life slipped from Ki then as the acid in the T-Rexes stomach proved too powerful,. the monks soul departing for the Fugue Plane, as his killer contined its rampage, huge jaws snapping shut on Jebodiah and lifting the dwarf into the air to the muttered growls of "Gerroofff!" Another crocodile appeared and together both croc's bit and lashed the T-Rex with their tails, while Bens claws missed entirely. In the dinosaurs jaws, Jebodiah struggled but failed to break loose. Seeing that the group needed to win this fight soon before they all ended up in the Rexes's guts, Aeron casts Haste on everyone except himself, though he did speed up both of the crocs and Ben too! Seeing his friend about to be lunch brought Ash charging into the fray calling out "Jeb!!" as he smote the dinosaur, his vicious greatsword wounding the T-Rex and himself. Zamtap drew his warhammer and charged in but his blow missed.

"Arrgghhh" was heard as Jebodiah vanished down the T-Rexes throat, the crocs and Ben taking advantage of the dinosaurs attention being momentarily elsewhere to attack. While both of the crocs missed, Ben bit and clawed a leg. Swallowed but by no means no out, Jeb held his breath and hacled at the creatures stomach lining, cutting a bloody exit from its guts for himself. Seeing Jebodiah out, Aeron loosed off a Lesser Electric Orb, it hurting the beast as the wizard grinned "Can't resist that can you?", he called out trumphantly, as ash stepped in and tore the creature apart with his sword, cutting through one leg and then as the T-Rex fell to the ground, driving the blade to the hilt into its skull.

Together with Jebodiah, the paladin cut the remains of Ki out of the Tyrannosaur's guts, and the party then argued about what to do with the huge corpse, it being a very obvious sign of their presence. Ash was in favour of hacking it apart, while Aeron preferred to simply preserve it with a Gentle Repose. Zamtap chipped with with the notion of burying it entirely in stones, and ash and Masembe favoured simply moving on. In the end, they elected to drag the corpse (mostly done by Ash, Jeb and Ben) some distance away into a ruin with a roof, and use a Stonewall spell to seal it inside, with Masembe casting Plant Growth on the area of the battle to cover up all the evidence of spilled blood and guts. The party decided to camp that night at the bazaar in one of the old shops that still retained a roof, and though watches were posted the night went by without event.

The next morning as the party finished prayers and Aeron closed his spellbook, Jebodiah on watch in the doorway spotted a winged shape descending towards them, he growling back at the others "Ssvaklor!"

His hands and lips moving immediately, Masember chanted and cast Neutralise Poison on Jebodiah, as the creature landed and breathed out a torrent of poisonous gas at the dwarf and druid, Masembe choking on the fumes. Ash cast Divine Favour on himself and drawing his sword strode out to face the beast, Zamtap moving out also, but his Spiritual Warhammer missed, as did Aeron's Ray of Enfeeblement as the wizard moved out and immediately ducked into another doorway. Jebodiah stayed where he was and tapped his Shield of Faith brooch to activate it.

Masembe gestured and cast Neutralise Poison on himself and Ben, the druid and ape then moving out to join the others, with Ben clawing at the Ssvaklor but missing, though the dragon raked the ape in return. Ash moved in close and smote the dragon, while Zamtap's Spiritual Warhammer missed again, the cleric grunting and drawing his dragonbane warhammer, moving in closer to the creature. Jebodiah moved out of the ruin, as Aeron cast Mass Enlarge Person to boost the dwarf, Ash and Zamtap in size.

Ben claws again raked over the Ssvaklor's thick scaly hide but failed to wound the dragon in any way, Masembe chanting and casting Magic Fang on his ape companion, as the Ssvaklor tore into Ash, clawing him terribly, his teeth ripping into the paladin and poisoning him also. Staggering from his wounds, Ash swung wildly at his foe, both his attacks going wide though. The Spiritual Warhammer smacked into the dragon then, as did Zamtap's own warhammer. While Jebodiah hung back, Aeron waved a hand and sped things up a bit with a Haste spell to boost the rest of the party.

Growling, Ben clawed the dragon, his enhanced claws tearing easily through its hide this time. Moving around behind the group, Masembe placed a hand on Ash's back and cast a Cure Serious Wounds to help keep the paladin on his feet. The Ssvaklor backed away from the group, its mouth blasting forth a cloud of poisonous gas to envelope Ash and Zamtap, but affecting only the priest. However, it took a blow from Ash's sword in the process, and the paladin was not about to let his foe get away,charging after the dragon and cutting it down, as Zamtap cast Neutralise Poison on himself to cleanse his lungs of the remaining gas.

Having rested for the night, Zamtap knelt beside Ki's body and called to his spirit with a Speak With Dead, learning that the monk had no desire to return to life, a new adventure laying before him on the planes. ash and Jeb hauled away the Ssvaklor's corpse and hid it nearby. Returning to the others, the party decided that their best course of action was to rest up a day to recover from the poison, as well as see to burying Ki and dividing up whatever they weren't going to inter with him.

DM's Notes:

As can be seen, the problem with less enciunters but with more powerful creatures is their tendency to munch characters! So passes Ki Tendragion, a character whose phenomenal ability to dodge left him with a low AC and BAB and ultimately led to him getting eaten twice in one day by a Tendriculos and Tyrannosaurus. Hell of a way to go! With his death the party lose their last stealth oriented character, and since Tony intends on a cleric for his next character, it seems the group are about to reinforce their usual "Bull in a China Shop" approach of brute force and ignorance backed by massive spellpower and plenty of healing. Time will tell how successful this is, though if anyone can pull this off it will be my lot!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
He should really think about that one long and hard. I think the party would be better served with a ranger. First, a ranger would make a bit of sense to introduce in the jungle environment. Second, the ranger would make up for this party's lack of range attacks and can fight melee if need be. Third, he can be stealthy and scout. Fourth, he can cast minor priest spells like healing.

A rogue wouldn't be bad, either, but I like rogues so I'm biased. A bow focused ranger 5/ rogue 3 character would also benefit from criticals with a bow.

Fraggleonacid

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
He should really think about that one long and hard. I think the party would be better served with a ranger. First, a ranger would make a bit of sense to introduce in the jungle environment. Second, the ranger would make up for this party's lack of range attacks and can fight melee if need be. Third, he can be stealthy and scout. Fourth, he can cast minor priest spells like healing.

All good points, no doubt, and Tony did think long and hard about his next character I'm sure. Boy is this Cleric sick...sick, sick, sick. Hats off to Tony for another short and chirpy denizen of Oz. Respect.

Deuce Traveler said:
A rogue wouldn't be bad, either, but I like rogues so I'm biased. A bow focused ranger 5/ rogue 3 character would also benefit from criticals with a bow.

Yeah a mixed class Rogue was what I was playing before, but sneaky isn't the idiom for this group. "Bull in China Shop" is playing to our strengths and you never know, one or two of us might even survive...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Well, like Brakkart knows, I like my sneaky types. : ) Still, it has been fun reading and I must admit that your group gets imaginative when the odds are against you.

Brakkart

First Post
Imruphel said:
Brakkart, any chance of an update today... pretty please? ;)

Sorry but not today. I've got too much else to do to spend a couple hours typing up the notes from session 42. I will try and get them done tomorrow evening though, but no promises.

Remove ads