Rise Of The Snakemen [Forgotten Realms]

Son_Of_Sparda

Explorer
Curses!
Now I... I mean mean we won't be able to sell/use your stuff?
Are you planning to return? Or is our magic number going to be reduced to 5??
It seems that we'll only be playing 'til the end of chapter 5 (sniff) so is it worth leaving now?- it does mean that the only lump-takers are myself and Tony and our only healers are Ali, Tony and Gareth (I know it sounds like we have enough already, but it's my neck on the line here! ...not that I have a problem with dying, you understand, I'm just getting fed up of the XP loss (seriously, I've gone through 3 character sheets now).

Ahem... rant over, I'll leave it to Brakkart to break the news.

'Til next time

Son_Of_Sparda said:
Curses!
Now I... I mean mean we won't be able to sell/use your stuff?
Are you planning to return? Or is our magic number going to be reduced to 5??
It seems that we'll only be playing 'til the end of chapter 5 (sniff) so is it worth leaving now?- it does mean that the only lump-takers are myself and Tony and our only healers are Ali, Tony and Gareth (I know it sounds like we have enough already, but it's my neck on the line here! ...not that I have a problem with dying, you understand, I'm just getting fed up of the XP loss (seriously, I've gone through 3 character sheets now).

Ahem... rant over, I'll leave it to Brakkart to break the news.

'Til next time

til next time it is

i jus need a break dude

jus not enjoyin it at the mo

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty Three

With their foes dead or fled, the group returned to the ruin they were camping in and questioned their new associate, the man who had been the Yuan-ti's prisoner. He introduced himself as Chand, his accent marking him as a native of Halruaa, and his garb (once recovered from the sack that one of the Rangers was carrying), clearly identifies him as a priest of Mystra. He informed the group that he and his small expedition had set out into the Mhair Jungles to explore the ruins of the lost civilisation there, and had been surprised in an ambush by a force of Yuan-ti. The snakemen had slaughtered his companions and captured him. He explained that they had been bringing him to a temple in the city for use as a special sacrifice.

When the group fill him in on their names and reason for being there, he eagerly agreed to join their quest, seeking both revenge for the loss of his friends, and a chance to "make sure this lost civilisation is well and truly lost!". Borrowing the groups scroll of Raise Dead, Chand set about returning Jebodiah to life, the dwarf soon back in the land of the living... again! Once Zamtap and Ash had used their spells and abilities to heal the numerous wounds suffered by the group, everyone took part in looting the bodies of the fallen snakemen, recovering a wealth of art treasures, potions and scrolls.

Zamtap and Ash then set off to find a new campsite for the party, figuring that where they were was now compromised, while the others took it upon themselves to scout towards the centre of the city, under cover of a Seeming spell cast by Aeron which masks the appearance of Chand, Jebodiah and himself (Masembe simply shifted into snake form and draped himself around Jebodiah's shoulders). The foursome then set off into the less ruined parts of the massive city, looking around the large plaza where Masembe had seen the Megalomen drilling while as a condor, they now getting a much closer look at the small army being put through its paces by a squad of distinctive yuan-ti lieutenants, under the command of one General Rattlor, a real brute of a snakeman with a large tail ending in a rattle.

On their tour the group pass what they assume to be Esau's laboratory, a squat three tier stepped pyramid facing onto the plaza, as well as a larger five tier pyramid in the same style, that is clearly a temple. Having left the plaza behind and on their way back towards their old campsite to meet up with the cleric and paladin, they are forced to stop and bow by the arrival of a Sarrukh and its retinue of fawning yuan-ti and lizardfolk sycophants, the aura of power surrounding this ancient creature duly humbling them as it passes them by.

Reaching their old campsite but before Zamtap and Ash have returned, Masembe announced that he was going back into the jungles for an hour or two to release Bends Low Branches back into the wild, as the ape could not be brought with them on the attack they were planning, and he didn't want to leave him waiting in the city for the snakeme to find. Having nothing better to do, the others agree to come along with him.

After trekking an hour or so into the foliage the group come upon a large clearing on either side of a pond, it fed by a bubbling brook. As Masembe was saying his goodbyes to his faithful companion, so he and Aeron spotted a lurking threat, a huge Deathcoils snake making its way through the pond towards them!

Wasting no time, Masembe immediately chanted and warded himself with a Neutralise Poison, as the massive snake swam over and bit Jebodiah, swiftly wrapping itself about the dwarf, grappling him. For his part the dwarf didn't even bother trying to wriggle loose, raging instantly, drawing his handaxe and hacking at the snake around him, intent on hewing a way out through it! Aeron selected a spell to help from his mind, and inflicted the Deathcoils with a Ray of Enfeeblement, while Chand empowered himself with a Shield of Faith and strode towards the creature, drawing his mace!

As Masembe started summoning aid, so Bends Low Branches joined his friend in one last battle, leaping in and biting the snake, even as it constricted around Jebodiah, the dwarf grunting as the air was squeezed from his body, but he still managed to wriggle free, ducking as the Deathcoils unleashed a blast of poison from its mouth which had no effect at all on anyone struck by it! With Jebodiah free, Aeron dropped a Gedlee's Electric Loop on the hapless snake, stunning it, and making it all too easy for Chand and Bends Low Branches to finish the beast off with mace and claw.

With his goodbyes said, Masembe headed back to the city with the party, as Bends Low Branches turned and made his way back towards the mountains where he came from. Meeting up with Zamtap and Ash, the group headed towards a new campsite, in a ruined tower, quite some distance from where they had been camped out, where they settled under cover for the night.

DM's Notes:

So with Dan and Gareth absent this week, I was a bit stuck with regard to what to run, and the session was a bit sluggish as a result. Which is probably why Alastair came up with the idea of releasing his ape back into the wild, a golden opportunity for an encounter. The Deathcoils was a bit too easy really, should probably have had the party face off against a couple of them, but ohh well. It was still a fun (if brief) fight, and livened up an otherwise fairly dull evening.

The group also got their first look at the NPC group of Snakemen that I designed based upon the Snakemen in the Masters of the Universe cartoon. They will face these in battle in a couple sessions time.

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty Four

Secure for the moment in their new camp, the group spent most of the morning of Nightal 20th discussing what to do next, as well as briefing Ash and Zamtap with what they had seen during their scouting trip into the city. A lengthy debate then took place, with Chard reminding the others of their objectives in needing to kill Esau and his lover Domino, as well as destroy the cloning tubes and all copies of Esau's research so that his research cannot be used again.

For once it was Jebodiah who was daunted by the scope of their mission, the barbarian actually questioining whether a less blunt approach might be possible. It was quickly argued by everyone else though, that no, that was their mission and nothing less than completing those objectives would serve to stem the threat the snakemen posed. Various ideas were bandied about, with Zamtap suggesting that Masembe (in snake form) infiltrate Esau's laboratories and bite him, and Chand coming up with the idea of splitting up to hit several targets at once. Jebodiah and Ash though both reminded the others that although they were both keen to strike at the targets, they needed to know where they were first.

Leaving the others to plan a direct offensive, Masembe (in snake form) and Ash (using his Hat of Disguise) headed into the city centre to scout further. When they got there, the pair parted ways, Masembe slithering into the vast stepped pyramid temple and heading down through the layers of cellars below it, looking for a way out of the city. Ash meanwhile, headed into the smaller stepped pyramid that housed Esau's laboratory. There he got into a conversation with a pureblood scientist whilst watching the distressing sight of a Stegosaurus being converted into a T-Khana creature, the vast reptile strapped down to a stone dias and being injected with various serums via intravenous drips.

Wandering about the complex he was present when Esau, Domino and Chan made an appearance on the ground level (normally spending their time sequestered on the upper floors), even getting a few moments to talk with the scientist himself on the pretense of delivering a warning, he making mention of an adventuring group's presence in the city. What he saw in Esau's eyes then shocked him and he barely managed to hide it. He saw hope in the slitted eyes of the genius they had pursued to Chult. Esau tells him to learn what he can of this group and report back to him the next day.

Returning to the others Ash reports that he has an audience with Esau Enoch the following day, though it does take him a while to calm them down when he reveals just what information he had to let slip in order to get it! Many hours later Masembe returns to the group, having spent a while observing the lowest chamber in the temple, 5 levels below the surface, a room with a central platform amidst a pit of writhing snakes. He reports that it is a two way portal to the city of Hlondeth and it should serve as their escape from the city, if they can get to it in time after destroying Esau's laboratory.

Nightal 21st dawns and the groups debate turns to how best to communicate with Esau, the talking going on so long and so passionately that no-one notices Ash slipping out and heading away to meet with the renegade scientist by himself. Arriving at the laboratory, he is shown upstairs and in a well appointed lounge as Chan and Domino watch on quietly, he listens to Esau rant!

"I am a prisoner... do you know what that is human?"

"I've never been one myself"

"Then you are, in that sense at least, more fortunate than I. This mind" Esau tapped his forehead "is the greatest thing my race has ever produced. The sarrukh are on another level entirely, but they ignore me. Have you seen them?"

Ash nodded slowly "Yes I saw one on my way here today, looks like aYuan-ti but more so. Has a pack of followers with it?"

"Sycophants more like. Yes that is them. The Sarrukh, creators of my race and various others. But they ignore me. I'm the one who can get them back the empire that they chastise my brethren for having lost. But they ignore me because I bettered them. I created a race that is easy to produce, fanatically loyal, strong, tough, immune to poison and that can be created swiftly, in vast numbers. I did better than them and for that I am shunned by them."

"The Yuan-ti... the Vrael Olo I should say, for that is how we refer to ourselves are wonderful creations of theirs. But we are too ambitious for their liking and in time, as our creators gre lazy, we usurped their place and came to rule ourselves. They grew less and less and eventually most went into hibernation... but no longer"

"Now they wake as Sseth is angry. All of us can feel it, an energy that compels us to do more, to succeed where we have failed time and time before. It is no accident that it is now that I was able to create the Megalomen, I was inspired you might say. With them we might yet retake our lands. Yes OUR lands, make no mistake about that human. Your people have a history of civilisation going back what... 3000 years? Netheril was the greatest thing you primitives ever created and it fell out of the sky because of your own hubris. My people have dwelt in these jungles, ruled these lands for more than 30,000 years. What right do you have to this land. None!" Esau spat.

"I didn't say I had any right to this land" the paladin retorted

"But you come here nonetheless to try and stop us from reclaiming it! Your people have no claim here, humans are worthless. You breed like crazy and spread like a plague. Make no mistake human, I'm evil. I hold your entire race in contempt! But still... I want to destroy my work. all of it. They don't deserve to have it"

"Can't you just create more elsewhere?" asked Ash.

"Yes I could, but not here. There is no point here" the scientist sighed.

At the paladins questioning look, Esau continued "I live. Domino lives, Chan lives. But I need your help to get out of here. Agree to that and I'll tell you the rest"

Ash paused for a moment before nodding slowly "There is a portal in the bottom of the temple, that's next door. We have a skilled wizard with us and you have your lady's magics also. Helping you escape is possible, even probable. What else is there that we need to know?"

Esau smiled, not at Ash but at his lady sat nearby and then continued "When I leave here I'll go to Kara-Tur, that is where I was living until I was summoned back to Faerun by my benefactor, who I know only by the initial D. Still you likely know all of this from reading my journal. I assume you found it in Wolfhill House?"

"The group found your journal yes, but they had lost it by the time I joined them in Calimport"

"Then the others have likely taken it"

"The Others?"

"We are pawns you see? My people out there in the city around us believe that the Megalomen armies will reconquer the Chultan peninsula, will reclaim Serpentes of old. Ohh they might very well do so, but we won't get to keep it. We are being used as.... agents of chaos. Our amries will spread death and terror in the jungles, weaken the human states around us like Thindol, Samarach, Lapaliiya, Tashalar, perhaps even mighty Halruaa itself. But we won't get to keep any of those lands, because our armies will be weakened from the fighting also and so we will fall to what is coming"

"And what is that?" queried Ash.

"There is a Rage coming, you might have seen some effects of it already. Dragons roaring and grouping together to fly and attack"

"Yes we saw that in the jungles on our way here"

The scientist got up and paced a little before continuing "This Rage is different, it won't be like the others before it. This one won't end. I know this because I'm a genius and I've met the lunatic responsible for unleashing this... force of nature on the world. His followers refer to him as Speaker, or First Speaker. They wear purple, they are named for it. Wearers of Purple. His name though is Sammaster, called by some Sammaster the Mad."

"Sammaster is dead, he was destroyed over a 100 years ago by a circle of 12 paladins. Every paladin learns that tale"

"Every paladin then learns a lie. They destroyed his body, but that is not enough to destroy a lich. Sammaster lives... after a fashion. His hand is guiding this Rage. He won't admit it, he came here to immunise the Ssvaklors against the Rage, a token gesture of his gratitude for our aid in destabilising the region. He wants the world plunged into chaos, all the better to weaken everyone for when his dracoliches are numerous enough to take over everything!"

"If he won't admit it, then how are you sure that this is true?"

"Because I'm a genius. Think about it, the Cult of the Dragon has been around for centuries, but dragons like life as much as any other creature does. Sammasters followers have always had trouble convincing dragons to trade their flesh and blood and the pleasures of the flesh for immortality. But what if there is a simpler choice, or no choice at all? The Rage drives dragons mad, makes them into berserk beasts. While evil dragons revel in this even they only enjoy it for a short time. Dracoliches though are unaffected by the Rage. Become undead, gain in power and stay sane, or spend your life as a raving monster. The Cult will be swamped with dragons wanting to undergo the ceremony to become a dracolich!"

At the look on Ash's face, Esau chuckled lightly. "I'll help you to stop this city from making any more Megalomen if you and your group get me and mine out of here. Go and tell your friends all that I've told you. We're done now"

Standing and nodding, Ash made his way out of the laboratory (having resumed his snakeman disguise) and headed back towards the rest of the group,

DM's Notes:

I'm glad that I took a tape recorder along to this session, else I would never have remembered all of that dialogue. It is a bit paraphrased in parts. I enjoyed this session a lot, no battles this time, but some good debate amongst the party (and some not so clever ideas) and some good roleplay from all of them. Still this was Dan/Ash's moment more than the others and he put up with me striding about the room in full mad genius exposition mode very well indeed. Was fun seeing Gareth/Zamtap and Phil/Aeron grin and all but highfive each other as they figured out the main villain before his name was mentioned.

Brakkart

First Post
Glad to see that the crash didn't wipe out any of my session logs (just a load of chat posts instead). I've posted the log to session 44 today so I hope you enjoy that. For the record the campaign is currently on about session 63 (I think) and the party are battling their way through a mountain fortress near Hlondeth, fighting Megalomen, Cultists, Dragonkin, Histachii, a Beholder, Yuan-ti and a Dracolich (though not all at once).

Imruphel

First Post
Great to see you back, Brakkart. BTW, your idea of going to a yuan-ti city in a jungle inspired me to ensure that my one of my next campaigns has a similar adventure included.

Interestingly, I've just been mulling over the idea that the Cult of the Dragon could offer dracolichdom as "immunisation" against the Rage.

Brakkart

First Post
Imruphel said:
Interestingly, I've just been mulling over the idea that the Cult of the Dragon could offer dracolichdom as "immunisation" against the Rage.

I seriously suggest you pick up the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy by Richard Lee Byers. What you mention here, is pretty much the central villainous plot orchestrated by Sammaster and his followers! Of course Sammaster neglects to mention to the dragons that he is the one causing the Rage!

Last edited:

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty Five

Arriving back at the ruined tower a few hours after setting out to meet Esau, Ash encounters Masembe (lounging in snake form), but is surprised to find the rest of the party absent. The paladin explains his conversation with Esau to the druid, who is highly sceptical and thinks that the invitation is sure to be a trap. Shifting into wolf form, Masembe sets off after the others, following the scent trail of dried blood that clings to Jebodiah as when the others noticed that Ash was missing, they moved campsite.

On entering the partially overgrown ruin of a trade depot, Ash explains his absence of the part few hours to the others, who are just as wary of the plan as the druid, despite the paladin's conviction that this remains their best chance for completing their objectives and getting out of the city alive. Still, it being late, the group agrees to rest for the night and resume their deliberations in the morning.

It is in the early hours as the party sleep that Jebodiah and Masembe on watch notice three large winged shapes flying overhead and descending towards the ruin where they are camped. Ssvaklors! Recognising the threat, Masembe immediately wards himself against poison as Jeb draws his handaxe and bellows a warning which wakes Zamtap and Aeron, Ash having decided to sleep in a room a little distance from the rest of the party. The ground thuds as the three yuan-ti/dragon hybrids land in the rubble strewn streets fore and aft of the building.

Dashing back into the building, Masembe roughly wakes Chand, as the first Ssvaklor engulfs Jebodiah in it's poisonous breath, the spray weakening him. At the rear of the building the other two dragons push their way into the ruin, one heading for the bulk of the party, the other towards a still slumbering Ash! Waving his hands through a series of gestures, Aeron clads himself in Mage Armor as outside in the street Jeb roars and charges the dragon that breathed on him, though the snaky reptile twists out of the way of the blow. Zamtap casts a Neutralise Poison on himself, and Chand invokes a Shield of Faith to bolster his defenses.

At a few words and gestures, Masembe's skin thickens and hardens, becoming like bark as growls of pain can be heard from Jeb as the Ssvaklor tears into him with teeth and claws. Another of the dragons barrels into Zamtap, its teeth easily tearing into the priest, even as the beast ignores the Phantasmal Killer that Aeron sent its way, the genasi wizard gnashing his teeth in annoyance at his spells failure. Outside in the street, Jeb cheers as he scores a single blow on the dragon, it twisting out of the path of his other swings though. Backing away from the Ssvaklor that bit him, Zamtap channels his faith to empower a Cure Critical Wounds spell, patching himself up, as Chand casts Divine Favour on himself and steps into the fray.

From where he is stood, Masembe can see Jebodiah fighting alone and he begins summoning some help for the outmatched dwarf. The Ssvaklors lash out with their bites, sinking teeth into both Chand and Jeb, the dwarf also suffering a further injection of venom into his veins. Casting Telekinesis, Aeron attempts to grapple the Ssvaklor threatening the bulk of the party but fails to do so, while Jeb's handaxe scores another blow on the dragon he is fighting but barely doing enough damage to make the reptile notice the strike. Stepping to his possessions, Zamtap picks up his shield and his dragonbane warhammer and grimly moves back into melee to flank the beast fighting Chand, distracting the dragon long enough for Chand to hit it twice with his mace. Elsewhere in the ruined building, the third Ssvaklor grins as it finds the sleeping form of Ash, the paladins head vanishing in a spray of blood as jaws sever it from the body!

Out in the street a brown bear appears and attacks the Ssvaklor, but it cannot score a hit on the dragon. Still it draws the beasts attention long enough for Masembe to run up behind Jebodiah and cast Neutralise Poison on the dwarf. Unfortunately fro the druid, his chanting draws the Ssvaklor's attention to him and the dragon moves quickly and snaps its jaws shut on him. Back inside, Chand is raked with claws and bitten by the Ssvaklor there, as it again fights free of Aeron's attempt to pin it with telekinesis. Swinging wildly, Jebodiah misses twice and is then all but staggered as he feels a mental shout echo through him of "WIELD ME NOW!!" as Stormcleaver, so long slumbering is finally woken by the plight and bravado of his wielder, the axe's full powers emerging. Casting Divine Favour on himself, Zamtap moves into melee with the Ssvaklor, again flanking and distracting it for Chand to get in a couple good blows with his mace. Elsewhere, the third Ssvaklor gathers up the paladins corpse and backpack in its mouth and makes its exit, not wishing to share its meal and trophies with the other two dragons.

Seeing that his bear needs a boost, Masembe enchants it with Magic Fang, the magic allowing the bear to rip into the Ssvaklor with both claws and its bite. Jebodiah and Zamtap are both bitten and clawed badly. Aeron all but punches the air though, as he finally grabs hold and pins the Ssvaklor with his magic. Heeding his axe's advice, Jebodiah backs up a step, drops his handaxe and shield and draws Stormcleaver. Grinning at the dragon in front of him, he lets his fury spill over into a battle frenzy roaring "Come to my axe dragon!". Inside, with the Ssvaklor held down by Aeron's spell, both Chand and Zamtap rain a pair of brutal blows down on the trapped lizard.

Smiling, Masembe casts Cure Serious Wounds on Jebodiah and then backs away a few steps, as the bear rakes its claws twice into the dragon and grabs it in a bearhug, though it cannot hold it for long as both Ssvaklors break the holds on them, Aeron trying in vain to reestablish the grip his telekinesis briefly held on the reptile. Bellowing a war cry Jebodiah hews into the Ssvaklor in the street, hacking three gashes through its armoured hide and badly wounding the dragon. Focusing his concentration, Zamtap cast a Cure Critical Wounds on himself, even as Chand drew the Ssvaklor's attention by bashing it again with his mace.

As the bear clawed the Ssvaklor again, Masembe took another step back away from Jebodiah and began summoning anew. While Jeb suffers more rakes of the dragons claws and teeth as he battles it, Chand is dropped by the extent of his wounds. Aeron agai tries but narrowly fails to pin the Ssvaklor inside, though everyone is shaken then by the boom of a thunderclap, as Stormcleaver is used to brutally hack apart the Ssvaklor in the street, blood and entrails flying everywhere as the enraged barbarian disembowels the beast. Inside, Zamtap crouched and laid a hand on chand to deliver a Cure Serious Wounds spell to the Mystran priest, he then getting up and whacking the Ssvaklor looming over the pair of them again.

An ape appears then in the space between Masembe and Jebodiah, the druid summoning a living shield to protect him from the dwarf should he turn his killing rage towards the druid, though he watches as Jebodiah strides indoors towards the other Ssvaklor. Chand is clawed and Zamtap bitten, as the badly wounded dragon lashes out at its tormentors, wanting to put both down quickly so that it might get away. Any chance it had at doing so though is swiftly ended, as Aeron succeeds in regrappling the beast and Zamtap's warhammer finishes it off, caving in its head. Seeing Jebodiah advancing towards the party then with murderous intent and an axe dripping gore in hand, Chand hastily chants and casts a Calm Emotions on the dwarf to pacify him, his mind returning to normal.

DM's Notes:

This was a very fun session to run. Dan had decided that he no longer wished to be a part of the campaign (he kept his reasons to himself), so his character got munched which (I think) added to the drama of the battle. Ssvaklor's (from Monster Manual III) are great monsters and as you can see they gave the party a hell of a good fight.

When I created Stormcleaver I made it with 2 sets of stats. The regular set was that of a +1 thundering dwarven waraxe with an intelligence. That intelligence was asleep and would require something to awaken it. That something was met in this fight when Jebodiah attacked a foe more powerful than himself in single combat (he didn't know Masembe was going to come to aid him, the druid had just headed inside after all). Once awake, Stormcleaver is a +3 thundering dwarf waraxe with a couple powers granted by its intelligence (most notably a +10 bonus on Intimidate checks!).

One of the things I wanted to do in this campaign was to give each character a "signature weapon", basically a weapon that could be synonomous with the character themself and one that they would be far more likely to upgrade than to replace. I like the idea of a hero keeping with the same weapon throughout their career and wanted to see if I could get that to work. Stormcleaver is clearly Jebodiah's signature weapon, just as the Dragonbane Warhammer is Zamtap's.

Last edited:

Remove ads