Rise Of The Snakemen [Forgotten Realms]

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty Seven

Ducking in behind Chand, Kobra Khan viciously stabs the priest while he is distracted by fighting Rattlor. Grinning, Zamtap conjures a Wall of Stone and wraps it into a box around Sssqueeze, trapping the long-limbed snakeman within. After a moment spent considering his options, the encased yuan-ti starts summoning an Earth Mephit. Tung Lashor charges Jebodiah, but the dwarf ducks under the lash of the snakemans extrodinary whip-like tongue. As Chand turns to address the threat posed by Kobra Khan, so Rattlor slashes him twice, the priest stepping back and smashing his mace into Kobra. Aeron casts a Gedlee's Loop on Rattlor, shocking the big yuan-ti but failing to stun him, as across the plaza Snake Face gazes at Jebodiah, the dwarf just too slow this time and he is instantly turned to stone! As the brown bear claws Rattlor, so another appears to attack Snake Face, though its swipe misses. Masembe shapeshifts into Dire Ape form and advances towards Kobra Khan.

Kobra turns and tries to run, but is bashed to the floor and knocked out by Chand as he does. Zamtap invokes a Cold Energy Vortex to wound Snake Face, Tung Lashor and the bear fighting them. An Earth Mephit appears inside Sssqueeze's stone prison, and turns one side of the box into clay, the snakeman, then punching his way free. As Tung Lashor moves towards the Temple doors to block the party's escape route, so Rattlor's giant scimitar cuts Chand down. Glaring at the obstacle in their way, Aeron blasts a Scintillating Sphere at the temple entrance, badly hurting Tung Lashor and wiping out the group of Ophidians standing guard there. Snake Face flees across the plaza from the nearby bear, as Masembe reaches the fallen chand and casts Cure Light Wounds to stabilise him. A bear claws into Rattlor and then traps the big yuan-ti in a bearhug. The other bear meanwhile claws Sssqueeze twice and then grapples him.

As Zamtap heads towards chand, so his Spiritual Warhammer flies after Snake Face and bludgeons the fleeing snakeman to death. Sssqueeze exudes acid from his skin, badly wounding the bear holding him, as Tung races across and attacks that bear also, working to try and free his comrade. Rattlor does likewise, his skin secreting acid to burn the bear holding him, even as Aeron blasts him with Magic Missiles. The bear holding Sssqueeze crushes him some more in its grasp, though Rattlor manages to avid the same fate, but he can't dodge Masembe's claws!

On the ground, Kobra Khans last lifeblood seeps out, the snakeman perishing, even as Zamtap touches chand with a sudden empowered cure Critical Wounds, waking him up. His Spiritual Warhammer though misses Tung Lashor, who easily kills the bear holding Sssqueeze captive, the long armed snakeman ducking back inside the stone box for shelter and casting a Cure Critical Wounds on himself. The Earth Mephit flies towards the bear holding Rattlor, which howls as yet more acid is secreted by the big yuan-ti in its grasp. Knowing that the city guards will almost certainly already be on the way and needing to hurry things up, Aeron casts Haste on the rest of the party. Getting up, Chand swings his mace and finishes off Rattlor. Freed of the need to hold the large snakeman, the bear instead rips apart the Earth Mephit. Masembe bounds across to attack Tung Lashor, clawing into him.

Distracted by the Dire Ape form of Masembe, Tung Lashor gets bashed in the back of the head by Zamtap's Spirtual Warhammer, as the priest himself moves up behind the druid. Sssqueeze stretches out an arm and touches Zamtap with a Slay Living spell, but the Gondite shrugs the effect off, and Chand smashes into Sssqueeze then, beating the snakeman to death with his mace. Tung Lashor, simply turns and flees!

With the fight won, the party swiftly go through the belongings of the snakemen, Aeron finding a scroll of Stone To Flesh on Kobra's body and using it to restore Jebodiah, even as the others grab the bodies of Kobra, Rattlor and Ssqueeze and drag them into the temple entrance...

DM's Notes:

Not a bad fight all in all, though Tung and Sssqueeze were not as effective as I'd hoped. The scroll I placed deliberately as it stood to reason that the snakemen would carry some form of contingency in case one of them ever got caught in the effect of Snake Face's formidible gaze. Now all the group have to do is battle their way down through a snakeman infested temple/dungeon to get to that portal!

Brakkart

First Post
DM's Log of Session Forty Eight

The party run into the temple and dump the bodies, all of them lending a shoulder to shove closed the temples stone doors, Zamtap then sealing them with a Stone Shape spell. The group quickly grab a few small items from the corpses and whatever valuables they can find, and then head into the temples interior, walking into the main chamber for worship where a halfblood cleric is giving a sermon to an audience of halfbloods and ophidians. Stood by the altar though, cloaked in a greater invisibility and sphere of unvulnerability is the wizardess Hereth who the party battled a few days previously.

Hereth further bolsters her defences with a Stoneskin spell, and the High Priest casts a Protection From Good on himself, pointing at the interlopers and hissing "Kill them!". All the Halfbloods draw their scimitars and advance towards Jebodiah and Chand, as the Ophidians draw swords and shields and form a line of defense around the High Priest himself. Masembe immediately starts summoning, realising that the group are going to need reinforcements and quickly! Aeron casts an extended Haste on the party, as Jebodiah wastes no time in getting stuck into the foe, hacking into a halfblood, he being bolstered by a Protection From Evil cast on him by Zamtap. Chand drives his mace into the chest of another halfblood, shattering its ribs and killing the yuan-ti instantly.

Hereth blasts the group with a Fireball, injuring Chand,. Zamtap and Jebodiah, but killing the halfblood who was caught in the blast too, as the High Priest drops a Flame Strike on the party further bathing them in fire. A crocodile appears but misses an Ophidian with its bite, and Masembe starts summoning again. Aeron sighs and sends a Scintillating Sphere into the High Priest, injuring him and wiping out five of the Ophidians gathered around him, clearing the way for Jebodiah to charge into him, his axe leading the way! Chand's mace brutally dispatches another Ophidian, and yet another of them advances and slashes at Aeron, the wizard narrowly sidestepping the scimitar, as Zamtap steps in to defend the genasi, smacking his hammer into the Ophidian.

The High Priest steps back and casts Hold Person at Jebodiah, though the spell fails to paralyse the mighty dwarf. Hereth sends a Phantasmal Killer at Aeron, but the spell only wounds him. Another crocodile appears, and both of the big lizards bite into their respective foes, an Ophian and the High Priest.. Still in Dire Ape form, Masembe rips into another Ophidian, tearing it apart with its claws, and drenching Zamtap and Aeron with its blood in the process! Wiping the blood from his eyes, Aeron grins and blasts the High Priest to death with a volley of Magic Missiles. Chand casts Invisibility Purge, which reveals Hereths position beside the altar. Seeing her appear, Jebodiah marches towards her and attacks, his axe barely managing to scratch her, much to his amazement! Zamtap casts Spirtual Weapon, but his conjured warhammer has no effect on Hereth at all.

Hereth grabs her Rod of Enlargement and fills the temple with a huge fireball, severely burning Jebodiah and one of the crocodiles, though not without the dwarf chipping her with his axe in retaliation. Both crocodiles mkove towards Hereth, as Masembe moves towards the doorway the group need to head through to get down to the next level, opening it. Aeron focuses a Dispel Magic on Hereth, negating both her Mage Armor and Stoneskin spells, Jeb then hacking her into chunks! Zamtap casts a Detect Magic and the group grab whatever is glowing off the bodies of the High Priest and Hereth.

Masembe, Zamtap and Chand see to Jebodiahs and their own wounds, the Gondite also taking a moment to reload his pistol, as the group head out of the chamber and to the stairs. Aeron turns and seals the door behind them with a Hold Portal, though he mentions that it won't hold back the yuan-ti for once once they get through the main temple doors.

Heading down to the first basement level of the temple, the group waste a few minutes while Masembe tries to remember the correct route to take to reach the next set of stairs, the tunnels twisting and turning. Whilst walking down a long straight corridor once he is sure of the proper path to take, the group get run over by a giant rolling ball of stone, the trap badly hurting Chand and injuring both Aeron and Jebodiah. Still they reach the stairs down to the second basement level without further incident.

DM's Notes:

I enjoyed this session, it was very much a close quarters battle in the temple, and the group got the rematch they wanted with Hereth who had eluded them the last time they fought. No such luck for her this time! As for the trap... ehh I love the start of Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I just had to fit that rolling ball in somehow.

The maps I'm using for the temple, are adapted from the maps for the top 5 levels of the huge pyramid from the old module B4 The Lost City, though I'm using them in reverse order (going from the largest to the smallest heading downward). I'm a big fan of cannibalising stuff from anywhere, and have used that tactic many times during the course of this campaign.

pizzaboy_15

First Post
We can't wait, just hoping that Bob has the time to write one for the loving readers!!!
<i>Please <b>Bob</b> Can I have some more?</i>

Last edited:

Brakkart

First Post
The Quotes!

Okay I'm doubtful if I'm ever going to get around to finishing this Story Hour. I have all the notes to do so, I just never seem to have the time to type them up and expand on them these days. So I'm going to post the quotes page, which I always promised my players I'd post at the end of this story.

The idea of the quotes page is I keep a sheet of paper and write down on it anything daft that a player or character says, anything that made us all laugh out loud or else do a "Huh?" moment. So without further ado, here we go:

The Character Quotes:

Aeron: This isn't called The Sword Coast because it's a nice place to live.
Geven: Welcome back to the land of the living... again.
Aeron: We don't know what cleric he's a deity of.
Zamtap: I think I'm drinking a Cure Moderate Wounds Poison.
Zamtap: We're in the jungle... everything's poisonous!
Zamtap: How difficult can it be to touch you in the mouth?
Zamtap: How can we tell how thick the dwarf is? DOOR! I meant door!

The Player Quotes:

Matt: We're just all going to have to get a bit more comfortable with each other.
Dan: I won't be here next week, I'll be in Bournemouth at a strip club.
Random Gamer: Blind comedians still change colour to match their surroundings.
Tony: I move up 20' and cast Divine Thingy.
Matt: I think we should do some friendly fights to the death.
Alastair: We're a well organised party really, all of our front line guys are short so we can cast spells over the top of them.
Alastair: A new euphemism for being mad - One encounter short of a level?
Jason: What's so bad about Hellgate Keep?
Robert/Me: I'll be merciful on account of the fact you just died.
John: Perspective is the fighters worst enemy.

Last edited:

GrandArchon

First Post
What?! You have Serpent Kingdom, but yet no Weresnakes?! Blashpemy! I demand lycanthropy! Though I guess at these levels it must be rather easy to cure/prevent. Not to say you couldn't try.

Remove ads