• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rise of Tiamat | Raiding older adventures to spice it up

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Hello Gamer Nation!

With the release of Rise of Tiamat we now have THREE Tiamat-themed campaigns from WOTC in the past decade:

- Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat
- Scales of War
- Red Hand of Doom

I like the story arc in RoT and what it does with factions, but I'm wondering if there is stuff that could be mined from Scales and Red Hand to improve the campaign. For example, one of the reviews of RoT I read suggests that the final battle against Tiamat was more interesting in Scales of War. Also, I know Red Hand is widely regarded as one of the best 3.5 adventures, and it seems to share the "round up the factions" them with RoT.

Does anyone want to weigh in on parts of the older campaigns that would work nicely with RoT?

Thanks!

MortalPlague

Adventurer
My PCs are going through Rise of Tiamat as we speak. I added in some military action to the plot, to make the Cult's actions have a more pressing threat. They attacked Amn and the Dalelands. The PCs were given the choice to, if they wanted to, bolster one front or the other. They wound up leading an army into the Snakewood on the northern border of Amn, and there they did battle with the Cult.

We're just wrapping things up and getting back on track now, but it was a fun diversion.

Remove ads