• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ritual Component Cost, quantity to buy?

simen

First Post
I wondered how much quantity of ritual components (except Residuum) it is normally available from a seller? Is there a limit? Or is the supply unlimited (except Residuum)? I couldn't seem to find a clear answer to this in PHB page 300.

DracoSuave

First Post
That is because the answer is "Ask your DM."

This is a question your Dungeon Master decides, and cannot and should not be codified in a book.

Stalker0

Legend
My DM hardly give out any at all, that is why I asked. All the gold and nothing to use it on :)

The book assumes that resideum can be bought, just like magic items can be bought.

That's the "default"....but since every DM's game is different, ultimately that's up to him to decide.

simen

First Post
I know resideum is suppose to be harder to come buy. But how common are the other components? There must be some guideline for this? My DM knows nothing about rituals, I had to teach him that about the components all together and he asked for how much it is possible to buy. So if you could provide some guidelines it would be great :) I know the DM is the DM, but some guidelines would be great.

Dalzig

First Post
Generous guidelines: There are so many ritual components available that you'll never buy them all.
Moderate guidelines: You can buy enough ritual components to cast your highest ritual 5 times.
Conservative guidelines: You can buy enough ritual components to cast your highest ritual once.
Scrooge guidelines: No ritual components for you!

simen

First Post
Generous guidelines: There are so many ritual components available that you'll never buy them all.
Moderate guidelines: You can buy enough ritual components to cast your highest ritual 5 times.
Conservative guidelines: You can buy enough ritual components to cast your highest ritual once.
Scrooge guidelines: No ritual components for you!

On moderate and conservative, what about rituals with "Special" component costs? Like "Enchant Magic Item". How do you think that it was intended? To me it looks like your "Generous guidelines". Alot of other rituals also have special costs, like "Create Teleportation Circle" (Manual of the Planes, lvl 15, page 150) which could cost from 1000 to 16000.

Dalzig

First Post
Those were guidelines I came up with in about 30 seconds...

You are really asking a question that has no answer but "It's up to the DM." My view on the situation is that, barring a good reason, a character should be able to buy all the ritual components they want to, because it's more fun that way.

DracoSuave

First Post
The book assumes that resideum can be bought, just like magic items can be bought.

That's the "default"....but since every DM's game is different, ultimately that's up to him to decide.

The book flat out tells you it can't usually be bought on the open market.

Ryujin

Legend
The book flat out tells you it can't usually be bought on the open market.

And even if it didn't spell that out clearly, I would make it so. Residuum is the Holy Grail of components; it does everything. It simplifies the economics of ritual casting to the point that you don't have to budget based on ritual keywords, just buy as many pinches of the stuff as you can afford.

If a GM is following the treasure guidelines, then it doesn't matter how much you can get in ritual components. You've only got so much money anyway.

Remove ads