• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue / Necromancer combo feats

Clay_More

First Post
I got some rather odd feats for you that I really want some feedback on since they're a bit wonky. I made them specifically for a player who wanted to play a Rogue / Necromancer combo, and he thought that it was a bit annoying that the combo is so inherently weak since the two classes can meld to provide a really cool flavor, but their class features mesh so poorly. Anyways, I really hope for some feedback on these, because they are a bit on the strong side, but as mentioned, they are supposed to alleviate for a really weak class combo.

Acolyte of Viccor
You have learnt the mixed teachings of Viccor which focuses on combining the art of stealth and subterefuge with the boons of necromancy.
Prerequisites: Must be a viccorite
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll with Sneak Attacks and you gain access to the Viccor spells from the school of necromancy.

Viccor's Epiphany
You have learnt to truly meld the powers of two classes into a single, unified style.
Prerequisites: Viccor's Mastery, Viccor's Wisdom
Benefit: You gain an additional spellcasting level in one arcane spellcasting you have at least one level in for each die of bonus damage you cause with your Sneak Attack, and you cause an additional d6 dices of damage on a successful sneak attack equal to the highest spell level of a necromancy spell you can cast. The effects of Viccor's Epiphany does not stack with itself, you do not gain extra arcane spellcasting levels from the bonus damage to Sneak Attacks from the feat nor do you gain extra bonus to your Sneak Attacks from the bonus spellcasting levels granted by the feat.

Viccor's Mastery
You have learnt even better how to combine the benefits of the two techniques teached by Viccor.
Prerequisites: Must be a viccorite, must have the Sneak Attack class feature and Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Benefit: You cause an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful Sneak Attack and you gain the ability to cast an additional arcane spell of the highest spell level you know. The bonus spell must be a Necromancy spell.

Viccor's Wisdom
You have learnt more about the odd mix of combat techniques mastered by Viccor.
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Int 15+, Acolyte of Viccor
Benefit: You do not suffer any Arcane Spell Failure when casting necromancy spells while wearing light armor and you gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll with Sneak Attacks against an opponent for each Necromancy spell in effect on them.

gamecat

Explorer
Acolyte of Viccor
You have learnt the mixed teachings of Viccor which focuses on combining the art of stealth and subterefuge with the boons of necromancy.
Prerequisites: Must be a viccorite
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll with Sneak Attacks and you gain access to the Viccor spells from the school of necromancy.

Balanced, perfectly fine.

Viccor's Epiphany
You have learnt to truly meld the powers of two classes into a single, unified style.
Prerequisites: Viccor's Mastery, Viccor's Wisdom
Benefit: You gain an additional spellcasting level in one arcane spellcasting you have at least one level in for each die of bonus damage you cause with your Sneak Attack, and you cause an additional d6 dices of damage on a successful sneak attack equal to the highest spell level of a necromancy spell you can cast. The effects of Viccor's Epiphany does not stack with itself, you do not gain extra arcane spellcasting levels from the bonus damage to Sneak Attacks from the feat nor do you gain extra bonus to your Sneak Attacks from the bonus spellcasting levels granted by the feat.

This one seems extremely powerful, when contrasted with practised spellcaster (+4 cl w/ one class). When you say "spellcasting level", do you mean caster level, or the whole thing (caster level, spells known, spells for day)?

Viccor's Mastery
You have learnt even better how to combine the benefits of the two techniques teached by Viccor.
Prerequisites: Must be a viccorite, must have the Sneak Attack class feature and Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Benefit: You cause an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful Sneak Attack and you gain the ability to cast an additional arcane spell of the highest spell level you know. The bonus spell must be a Necromancy spell.

Powerful, but RP requirements and more-or-less required multiclassing set this one okay. Does the extra spell scale with level, or am I stuck with an extra 1st level spell after taking this feat as a Rog2/Wiz1?

Viccor's Wisdom
You have learnt more about the odd mix of combat techniques mastered by Viccor.
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Int 15+, Acolyte of Viccor
Benefit: You do not suffer any Arcane Spell Failure when casting necromancy spells while wearing light armor and you gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll with Sneak Attacks against an opponent for each Necromancy spell in effect on them.

Cool - I despise ASF, and think it's only there as a hangover from 1st/2nd ed. The second effect adds to necromancer/rogue synergy.

Now, all things considered, I'd greenlight everything but Viccar's epiphany - perhaps you should construct a Viccarite prestige class for something like this.

Clay_More

First Post
Hiya Gamecat, thanks for taking the time to read 'em through. Viccar's Epiphany is really the wonkiest of the bunch, I definitely agree with you on this point, the feats were a "custom job" me and a player did to makes his Rogue / Necromancer combo more viable (Rogue doesn't mesh well with spellcasting classes). I had another friend who suggested some really interesting, existing options from splatbooks that would help build such a character, so I'm actually considering taking your suggestion about creating a PrC for the concept, removing some of these feats (namely Epiphany and possibly one more), and use the remaining feats as prerequisites for the PrC.

Remove ads