D&D 5E Rogue (Scout)/Ranger (Gloom Stalker) multiclassing

bkwrm79

Villager
I'm considering a Rogue (Scout)/Ranger (Gloom Stalker) character for an upcoming game starting at 5th level. Both subclasses seem really cool, and it would give me tons of utility through skills, adding a little magic later.

Once it all comes together I'm pretty sure the build will work, but will it be weak until then? Campaigns don't last forever, so if it will suck at first I may want to reconsider. It's likely to be a fairly tactical game.

Wood Elf, Point Buy, Str 8 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 8
Elven Accuracy Feat at Rogue 4 (the +1 is included in the 18 Dex), planning to take Sharpshooter at Ranger 4 (level 8).
Expertise in Perception and Stealth (and automatically in Nature and Survival)

My plan is to start Rogue, and start the game at Rogue 4/Ranger 1. I'd beeline down the Ranger path until I hit Rogue 4/Ranger 5 (extra attack, 2nd-level spells), then - if the campaign is still going, or if I return to the character in a future higher level campaign - go Rogue the rest of the way.

One potential problem is that I'm really delaying getting my 5th level in anything. Is 3d6 really that much better than 2d6 Sneak Attack? If I'm a very sneaky archer, can I put off Uncanny Dodge? It seems to me that the Rogue abilities are front-loaded ahead of 5th level, but I could be underestimating the importance of the 5th-level features.

Conversely, I could go up the Ranger path first - I'd still start Rogue I think, but start the game as Rogue 1/Ranger 4 and potentially grab Ranger 5 right away for the extra attack before focusing on Rogue (this would put off Sharpshooter one more level, and also delay getting the second subclass up and running). It would be weird to have no proficiency in Nature and Survival from level 5-8, when I get Survivalist, although between the Wanderer background feature and Ranger levels I should be able to manage. I think the concept makes more sense the other way (starting out as a poacher, moving to game warden, and finally to taking on larger threats).

Any advice, or pitfalls to avoid?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Rogue first. I mean, you'll be a little behind in the 6-8 range, but not to the point of being terrible. 3rd level Gloom Stalker ability will synergize nicely with Sneak Attack to keep your attack up until Extra Attack kicks in.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm considering a Rogue (Scout)/Ranger (Gloom Stalker) character for an upcoming game starting at 5th level. Both subclasses seem really cool, and it would give me tons of utility through skills, adding a little magic later.

Once it all comes together I'm pretty sure the build will work, but will it be weak until then? Campaigns don't last forever, so if it will suck at first I may want to reconsider. It's likely to be a fairly tactical game.

Wood Elf, Point Buy, Str 8 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 8
Elven Accuracy Feat at Rogue 4 (the +1 is included in the 18 Dex), planning to take Sharpshooter at Ranger 4 (level 8).
Expertise in Perception and Stealth (and automatically in Nature and Survival)

My plan is to start Rogue, and start the game at Rogue 4/Ranger 1. I'd beeline down the Ranger path until I hit Rogue 4/Ranger 5 (extra attack, 2nd-level spells), then - if the campaign is still going, or if I return to the character in a future higher level campaign - go Rogue the rest of the way.

One potential problem is that I'm really delaying getting my 5th level in anything. Is 3d6 really that much better than 2d6 Sneak Attack? If I'm a very sneaky archer, can I put off Uncanny Dodge? It seems to me that the Rogue abilities are front-loaded ahead of 5th level, but I could be underestimating the importance of the 5th-level features.

Conversely, I could go up the Ranger path first - I'd still start Rogue I think, but start the game as Rogue 1/Ranger 4 and potentially grab Ranger 5 right away for the extra attack before focusing on Rogue (this would put off Sharpshooter one more level, and also delay getting the second subclass up and running). It would be weird to have no proficiency in Nature and Survival from level 5-8, when I get Survivalist, although between the Wanderer background feature and Ranger levels I should be able to manage. I think the concept makes more sense the other way (starting out as a poacher, moving to game warden, and finally to taking on larger threats).

Any advice, or pitfalls to avoid?

4d6+4 vs 3d6+4. 18 vs 14.5. You'll do about 80% of the damage of what a full rogue would do at level 5. At your Rogue 4 Ranger 3 you will do about 2/3 of what a pure rouge would be doing (you can make a little of that up occasionly with hunters mark). The gloomStalker level 3 ability also helps a little there. But all in all compared to a single class character you will be fairly significantly behind in damage till level 9.

I highly recommend taking Ranger 5 then leveling as rogue the rest of the way. Rogue doesn't really get anything you can't live without but get's nice bonuses all around to make you better at what you want to do.

As for the nature and survival skills, I would tell your DM your character plan and see if he won't let the rogue scout feature give some other skill proficiencies if you already have nature and survival. Most DM's aren't going to mind that small modification.

A Rogue 1/Ranger 5 start would only put you one level behind on Extra Attack, and you'd get one full extra skill proficiency over starting as a Ranger.

As for the Scout's Nature and Survival skills feature conflicting, that's already covered in the RAW. PHB p. 125: "If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead."

Remove ads