[Rogue Trader PbP] The Heir Apparent Act I

The Bashar

First Post
spaceship_pic.png

“Plasma Drives offline. Powering up Warp Engines. Gellar Field is holding strong.”

The quiet hum of the plasma drives is replaced with the high pitched whine of the warp engines coming online. The pitch gets higher and higher until it feels like your ear drums will burst, at which point it immediately silences. The shutters on the bridge open and the bridge crew is greeted with the reassuring view of real space. From this distance you can make out the gigantic warp storm that separate the Calaxis Sector from the Kronus Expanse. The gap between the two storms can also be seen. “The Maw” as it is know. The only warp channel stable enough to allow passage into the expanse. And at it’s mouth sits Port Wander, the last Imperial outpost on the edge of the Imperium.

Lord-Captain Thraxus Argentum Vespus takes in the sight. As the Rogue Trader of the newly formed Vespus dynasty, his fortune awaits on the other side of The Maw. Bromidus Callidus Vespus, the Captains, brother stands beside him with a wolfish grin spread across his face.

“Thraxus! We are finally here. By the Emperor, the edge of the Imperium itself. If only father were here to see it himself.”

The grin disappears with the last sentence. A silence hangs over the bridge for a brief moment. A more pensive look creeps across Bromidus’ face and his thoughts turn to business.

“I will have to speak to Mortanius. Dallion will be happy to hear we’ve arrived. I’m certain he’s managed to secure us some nice facilities in Port Wander.”

Almost as being summoned by the mention of his name the familiar voice of Mortanius the ship’s Astropath streams in over the Vox by the Captain’s chair.

“M’lord-Captain, time check has been completed with the Astropathic Choir in Port Wander. We have been in the warp for twelve weeks. That’s one week earlier than anticipated. We are approximately 200 000 000 kilometers away from the station itself.”

Bromidus leans in toward the Vox and replies.

“Mortanius, send a message to Dallion letting him know we’ve arrived and to have our apartments ready. We should be at the station within a day or so.”

As he straightens himself up he catches his brother’s gaze and realizes he’s playing at being Captain. He shrugs and sighs.

“Oh come now Thraxus. I’m going to be stuck on that space station for Emperor knows how long. Managing all the goodies you’ll be sending back from the Expanse.”

Gregor

First Post
Thraxus sits, with one leg casually crossed over the other, upon the ancient and ornate Captain's throne on the raised central dais of the bridge. As usual he is impeccably dressed: fitted black high leather boots and tailored pants, be-spoked shirt and leather captain's jacket. Clasped at his shoulders with small golden claws and draping behind him is his black fur-cloak, an item that some in the mess whisper was skinned from some foul xeno by the Captain's own hands. At his belt sit a number of antique weapons: a huge hand-cannon acid etched with filigree along the cylinder and a grip of polished white bone; an ancient plasma pistol resplendent in its constant bluish-white glow and detailed in platinum iconography of designs common in the Imperial Navy during the Age of Apostasy; and, a long rapier with an elaborate hilt in the shape of spread bird's wings and the head of a bird of prey for a pommel.

Thraxus idly rubs his perpetually manicured scruff along his chin with a sable gloved hand. He occasionally pushes a strand of his long brown hair back behind his ears, and stares out at space with intense green eyes. A cloud of pipe smoke hangs over his head, its source streaming gently from the ebony pipe clenched gently in the Captain's molars. His unconscious gripping of his teeth sends minor wrinkles up along the handsome scar which runs from his jaw to his cheek bone.

The Captain ignores his brother at first, turning his attention to a display which sits at the end of one of the arm rests on his command throne. Images of the Imperium and great voyages and victories of man are wrought upon the black and gold metallic chair. The remainder of the bridge of antiquity is similarly appointed: embellished command chairs for officers perched before stations; bulkheads adorned with bas-reliefs of great captains of the Imperium's past, their heads anointed with laurel wreaths; images and icons of various ships through man's vast history - both from the age of sail and our journey to the stars; and, perched atop a small ionic capitol column sits an elaborately detailed golden globe of old Terra.

Quite casually, and with his attention still fixed on the display near his left hand, Thraxus responds. "I have no problems with you playing as an officer aboard this vessel Bromidus, so long as you finish what you start. So, please report on our expected duration of stay here at Port Wander, our potential for obtaining contract work - requiring travel to the expanse - whilst here, and send a command to the crew that I expect our supplies at full capacity and our systems fully operational before we leave." He pauses to draw from his pipe and punches a few key strokes into the panel on the throne. Idly again, "Oh and Bromidus, tell the crew not to forget to get extra recaf, wine and ale. Ensure the wine is dry and from a good vintage and the ale rich in colour and balanced in flavour ... something cask aged if possible. I'll not sail into an expanse fraught with savages without something to enjoy first thing in the morning, or whilst I read."

Thraxus turns his attention back to the view of space. "Ah, how inconsiderate of me," he says leaning over his shoulder to speak to Mordekai, Zander and Macharius, "I do not believe you have met my brother. Now would be a good time to introduce yourselves gentlemen."

jammastaj

First Post
The red-cloaked man detaches a cable from a nearby terminal. With a whirring noise it retracts back into his sleeve and out of sight. He turns to face Bromidus and inclines his head slightly in a shallow bow.

He appears to be bulkier than most men but a careful glance reveals the sharp angles of armor or plating and the snaking tubing of more cabling underneath his robe.

"I am Zander Chorron of the Adeptus Mechanicus," rasps the coldly mechanical voice from behind the metal grille covering the lower half of Zander's face. His pale blue eyes stare at the Captain's brother from within the hood of the robe. The lens assembly that extends over his right eye twitches as it focuses on Bromidus.

"I will do my utmost to ensure that our journey is smooth and successful, our conveyance cheery, cooperative, and intact," he remarks, sweeping a gloved hand to indicate the ship around them. "I appreciate your future efforts in processing the... goodies that we send your way."

Zander's gaze strays to the expanse of space visible out of the bridge's windows.

"From what I understand, however, we should expect to run into certain challenges out there that are beyond my skills alone."

Zander turns and nods his head towards his other companions assembled on the bridge.

Uthic

First Post
Mordekai stands in the vicinity of the other officers, albeit a little to the side and back, hands clasped behind his back, his dark overcoat parting to show the matte surface of his carapace armour and gold grips of his two bolt pistols in their holsters at his sides. Although this is far from a combat situation, he never goes anywhere without feeling the satisfying weight of his two beloved pistols, the grips and barrel plated gold, the body of the the gun painted black and each with both a golden Aquila and skull on either side. Although he's not a pious man by any stretch, years of combat have taught him that the Emperor does indeed protect.

The microbead in his left ear produces a steady stream of noise, radio traffic of the various security teams on patrol through the hallways and bays of the ship, nothing more than seemingly endless permutations of 'all clear' dominate the channel, occasionally some banter between the teams and his delegate manning the security command station.

With all of this, he's not paying too much attention to the conversation Thraxus and Bromidus are having, his grey eyes flick back and forth, senses keen for any threats, even after all these years away from home he's still quite unable to shake the old Death Worlder thinking that standing still is an invitation for attack. After a moment, he satisfies himself that the bridge is indeed secure, and unclasps his hands, his left hand resting on the silver pommel of his sword, taking a deep breath to relax himself just as he hears Thraxus mention his name. He spares the Mechanicus priest a quick glance as he says his piece, waiting until he's completed before casting his gaze on Bromidus and speaking.

"I am Mordekai, head of security on the ship and bodyguard to your brother" he says in a monotone to Bromidus, inclining his head slightly and effecting a polite smile - another hold over from his homeworld - stepping forward and extending a leather glove encased hand to Bromidus "A pleasure to meet you." He gives the trader a firm shake and nods, his smile gone as quick as it came. He turns to move back behind the other officers, but stops and turns halfway back to Bromidus - "Be sure to tell your people to be...vigilant while on Wander. All manner of people move through there. It would be unfortunate if any disrupted your operations" - throwing him another quick nod as he stalks his way behind the others.

Last edited:

Kaelan

First Post
Macharius stands stifly and properly staring out the bridge window. His body and mesh armor hidden beneath the noble robes of his house. The red silk headscarf covers his third eye, making him appear almost normal from a distance. That is until one notices his eyes, a stark contrast to his pale skin, they are pure black, so dark that looking into them is the same as staring into the void of space, making normal men shudder at the sight of them. He ignores the idle chatter, around him; it's merely white noise and he loses himself in thought. “How far I’ve fallen Brother, who would have thought I would ever leave our home world as anything but the head of our House, but worry not, I will climb my way back up to you and prove myself superior.”

His reverie is broken at the mention of his name. The Lord-Captain is introducing his officers to his brother Bromidus. Macharius waits for the others to finish speaking. His gaze never wavers from the warp storm visible in the distance.As Mordekai finishes his introduction, Macharius speaks his back still turned away from the others. “I am Macharius 1st born of House Tersum. And…”, he falters for an instant internally he finishes his long practiced greeting, “And Legitimate successor to Novator Ternus”. He recovers almost immediately, “...I will be guiding us through the warp and ensuring we reach any destination desired. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance”. His introduction finished he turns his head towards Bromidus nods lightly and returns to his inner thoughts and the sight of the warp storm out the bridge window.

The Bashar

First Post
Bromidus smiles and nods at each of the companions. He noticeably stiffens when Macharius makes eye contact and instead of nodding gives him a proper bow.

"A pleasure to meet you all. I see my brother has gathered some interesting companions in his travel. I am sure you will all serve our dynasty well."

He turns back to face his brother.

"I will make my way to Choir's apartments so that I can receive Dallion's message directly. Shouldn't be too long now. Once that is complete I will report to you and begin preparing my staff for departure from your ship. It should take us no more than four days to complete the transfer of personnel and equipment. It may take just as long to make the ship ready for its voyage.

I will relay word to the crew about the recaf, ale, and wine. I also procured a bottle of Scintillian Brandy for this momentous occasion. I think we should save that until I'm settled."

Bromidus clasps his hands together and stares a head blankly for a moment, as if putting a list together in his head. He then focuses his attention on the door in front of him.

"All right then, off to work."

As Bromidus leaves, the helmsman Richard turns around and addresses the Captain.

"Awaiting your orders M'Lord Captain."

Gregor

First Post
"Excellent," say Thraxus, "introductions are complete. Let us move forward and get to business."

He switches his crossed legs and pulls on his pipe while he considers his orders.

"Helmsman, plot your course and take us in to Port Wander. Standard approach. Obtain permissions for docking and inform myself and my officers once docking has been completed and we are able to go ashore. Additionally, please give me an ETA for docking given your standard approach."

Thraxus leans over to speak to Zander. "Seeing as my brother has failed to produce the report I requested, perhaps you could commune with the ship and its databases to procure an answer to my query? I think it pertinent that we descend onto Port Wander with some understanding of where contract work may be obtained. I would like to maximize our chance for profit when we do venture into the Maw."

jammastaj

First Post
"Certainly, Captain. I will see if the Wind has picked up any broadcasts from nearby or if we received any contract data before heading this way."

Zander moves back towards the bridge terminal he was using earlier, the interface cable sliding out of his sleeve as he does so.

"I can also attempt to contact Port Wander for additional opportunities," Zander continues, as he plugs into the Terminal and prepares to open his mind to the ship's machine spirit. Before he does, he turns back towards Thraxus.

"Perhaps you or your Dynasty have contacts in this sector? I could requisition a list of ships at port to see if any happen to be here."

The Bashar

First Post
OOC: Let me clarify a couple of things. First, you're too far from the station to send or receive any broadcasts. At this distance the only communication available is via Astropath. Second, every ship has a cogitator which is hooked up to a crude database. Think of it as a digital library, in that you can add information to it like you'd add a book. You can also purchase data, usually from the Ad Mech or other sources. Right, now you can make free common knowledge checks on certain subjects without have to make any tests. For example, you can query the cogitator for information about Port Wander. More esoteric data will require skill checks and access to information. For example if you wanted a list of the ships that have docked in Port Wander you would need access to their cogitators or have someone else do it. If you are trying to recall facts from your own memories then you will have to use the appropriate Lore skill. Only Zander an interface with the machine spirit and database. If anyone wants to make use of the database they will have to work with Zander to do so.

For brevity's sake I'll assume you've queried Port Wander with the cogitator."

Zander as you interface into the cogitator the machine spirit senses you're inquisitiveness and directs your to the knowledge base within his system.

You're query turns up the following entry on Port Wander:

Port Wander

---+++Imperial Navy base founded in 917 M40. Initially founded to serve as a staging ground to investigate vessels lost in proximity to the warp storms it has grown in importance due to the discovery of the Koronus passage.

Government: The Station is co-administered by the Administratum and Imperial Navy. The Administratum runs all the non military aspects of the station such as upkeep of life support systems, delivery of food, and fuel. The station is policed by the Adeptus Arbites under the direction of the Admistratum.

The dry dock, station defence emplacements, and defense fleet are under the supervision of the Imperial Navy. The defense fleet is composed of non warp capable ships in orbit of the station. Warships from Battlefleet Calixis are known to make Port Wander a regular stop on patrol through the area. The station is quite well defended and would require considerable force to attack.

Additional Information: Surrounding the station are a number of asteroids that have been brought into orbit. They have been turned into fuel depots, estates for the noble and rich merchants, storage facilities, private ship yards, and other installations.

The station has become home to a transient population of people going to and from the Koronus expanse. Merchants, pilgrims, and criminals pass through the station on a regular basis.

The Adeptus Mechanicus also has a strong presence on the station as they assist in the operation of the Imperial Navy dry dock. They also have a number of augur arrays on the station that they use to study the warpstorms.

Many Rogue Traders use Port Wander as staging point for their operations in the expanse and to handle the Imperial side of their Dynasty. A number of them own offices and other holdings in or around the station. +++---

jammastaj

First Post
OOC: How closely interfaced are the ships systems? For instance, Thraxus has a display in his command throne. If I were to put together a brief report about who we might contact when we get closer to Port Wander (or some things we could ask Mortanius to request via Astropath communication) could I have this appear on the throne display?

For something like contract information that has been disseminated to other worlds in an attempt to drum up business or interest in the expanse, if such a thing actually happens, would that be common knowledge that we'd place in the cogitator, or more like rumours and stories that the crew or officers might pick up as we travel?

Zander ponders the cogitator's response. It certainly seems like we might be able to get a variety of different assignments from one division of the Adeptus or another. We could also get in touch with Rogue Traders based out of the port or shadier characters that might have something that needs doing.

Zander tries to query the cogitator for any Rogue Traders or criminal entities based in Port Wander famous enough to warrant a data entry.

Remove ads