• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rogue Trader PbP] The Heir Apparent Act I

The Bashar

First Post
OOC: Any tech-priest or explorator can interface with the Machine Spirit in the ship. You can direct it to send files and such to different cogitators on the ship. So yes you can send a report to the Captain's chair.

Common knowledge is usually basic knowledge that someone would glean from prolonged time in a place or around a group of people. So say you want to learn more about a planet you haven't been to but you know someone else has you can get that information from them and put it on the cogitator.

To found out rumours and stuff you'd have to use the Inquire skill in the right environment.

The Cogitator brings up the following information:

--+++ Dynasties with known offices at Port Wander:
Valcetti Dynasty
Umboldt Dynasty
Saul Dynasty
Chorda Dynasty
Winterscale Dynasy

No information on criminal entities active in Port Wander available +++--

You realize that you've exhausted the cogitators information about the subject.

OOC: Further information on the dynasties will require a Routine (+20) Common Lore Rogue Traders skill check. For information about criminals an Ordinary (+10) Forbidden Lore Pirates skill check is required

The Bashar

First Post
OOC: Let me clarify this a little better. The Cogitator can do Easy (+30) Common knowledge tests on the following topics for free:

Imperium
Imperial Navy
Imperial Creed
Administratum
Adeptus Arbites
Ecclesiarchy

If you want information on other topics you'll need to acquire it some how.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this clarifies what you can and cannot do with the Cogitator

jammastaj

First Post
Zander gives thanks to the spirit of the cogitator then gets to work compiling the results into a report for the captain to be sent to his personal throne.

Captain,

Per your request, here is an outline of possible lines of inquiry for employment or information in Port Wander:

Imperial Navy - Heavy military presence, could check for list of wanted pirates/raiders, strategic targets in Koronus Expanse
Administratum - Maybe Port Wander is in need of assistance with supplies? Potential trade opportunities?
Adeptus Arbites - Policing authority, would know of local criminal activity
Other - Busy port, high traffic to/from the Expanse, travelers may have news
Adeptus Mechanicus - Mainly concerned with naval maintenance, but could know of/be in need of Mechanicus from the Expanse

Known Dynasties active in the region: Valcetti, Umboldt, Saul, Chorda, Winterscale

With the report completed, Zander disengages from the terminal and moves to Thraxus' side.

"Captain, I have dispatched a short report to your throne's screen consisting of the known elements in Port Wander and my own recommendations for possible contracts. Unfortunately, we are still too far out to communicate directly with Port authorities or other parties, but if necessary we can request that Mortanius get in touch with potential contacts. Perhaps one of the other officers or crew has heard of goings on in the Expanse that could be exploited into a lucrative opportunity as well."

Gregor

First Post
"Thank you Zander," says Thraxus, "though it seems our databases are a touch thin on information pertaining to where contracts may be obtained during our stay. Perhaps we'll sniff out a cantina or a den favored by fellow Rogue Traders after we dock."

Thraxus taps out the ashy contents of his pipe into an ashtray on his throne. "Helmsman ... I'm still waiting on that ETA."

The Bashar

First Post
Richard pales when he realizes his oversight.

"Apologies M'lord. ETA to Port Wander at best speed is approximately 36 hours. On your word I shall set a course."

Bromidus' voice is heard on the bridge's Vox.

"Brother, Dallion has replied. Mortanius has transcribed the message and will be sending it to your chairs cogitator."

After a few minutes a light blinks indicating a received message.

[sblock="From Dallion"]--+++Greeting Thraxus, I'm glad you've arrived early. I've secured an office and a the upper floors of a hab block on the station for Bromidus and his staff. I've also purchased a small asteroid which has been converted into a storage facility.

Purchasing real estate on a space station is quite tough. However, your position as a Rogue Trader opens quite a few doors. It also gains quite a bit of attention, both good and bad. On the good side Head Administrator Kraal has extended an invitation for dinner at your earliest convenience. The notable persons on the station will most likely be there to welcome a new Rogue Trader. Also, I have been approached by a few parties who would be interested in working with a new Dynasty for our mutual gain.

On the bad side my men and I have noticed we are being watched as we go about our business. They haven't done anything to us, but they are always around. On a hunch I made some inquiries with the Dock Master. A merchant ship arrived from Theta Secundus arrived 3 months after I did. I did some digging and discovered the ship is registered to House Azymus. They are likely plotting something. It will be good to have you and your brother here. I await your arrival, your faithful servant Dallion.+++--
[/sblock]

Gregor

First Post
Thraxus examines the recently received message and narrows his eyes with concern. Lost in thought he responds to the helmsman.

"My word has already been given Helmsman," says Thraxus sternly, "now carry it out."

He pulls a small leather pouch from an inside pocket in his jacket and proceeds to retrieve small pieces of cut tobacco. He packs them into his pipe and lights it slowly with an antique device take from the same pocket. He stares out into space as the tobacco lights and smoke begins to curl back up to the hazy ceiling of the bridge.

Almost absently, he mutters to everyone on the bridge. "Seems a number of other Rogue Trader dynasties are present at Port Wander. Including representation from the rival to my very own House. We should expect trouble friends."

Thraxus smokes and contemplates what he knows about the other dynasties.

OOC: Dave, do you want a Lore check for each dynasty?

The Bashar

First Post
Richard turns around in his seat and begins the ritual of activation his console. The ship vibrates as the more power is diverted to the plasma drives. The familiar hum of the drives fills the ship as The Favourable Wind begins to make its way to Port Wander. Below the bridge the rest of the ship is a flurry of activity as Bromidus, with data slate in hand, sets about organizing his people with the crew of the ship.

OOC: Thraxus isn't trained in Common Lore (Rogue Trader). However, you can make a Hard (-20) Common Lore (Imperium) check. One or two of these dynasties maybe notable enough to be know in Imperial society.

The Bashar

First Post
OOC: Ignore the first die roll.

Thraxus you don't seem to recall any information pertaining to the Rogue Trader dynasties mentioned.

The Favourable Wind makes its way gracefully across the void to Port Wander. However, on the inside the ship is a flurry of activity as the final preparations are being made for the departure of Bromidus and his staff, as well as cargo, equipment, and supplies. The first half of the day passes with only the occasional transmission being received from the space station, mostly stray radio signals between the station and other ships in the area. Once half of the distance to the station has been covered does the ship receive a transmission intended for it.

"Greeting Favourable Wind, this is Port Wander control. Please adjust heading 12 degrees to port. You will be docking at port alpha 51. Once in visual range change Vox to setting to 256 for further instruction. Copy?"

Richard makes the proper course adjustments on the console and replies.

"Favourable Wind copies."

Last edited:

The Bashar

First Post
As the ship continues onward Port Wander slowly comes into visual range. At first it is merely a spec, but as The Favourable Wind draws closer you begin to see the the true scope of it. Small shuttles and ships dart to and fro around the space station, like bees around a hive. There have to be at least a hundred asteroids of varying size around the station. Some with large mansions and estates protected from the void of space by large gleaming hab domes.

Beneath the station, near the dry dock repair area, you can see one massive battleship. Across its prow is a name written in high gothic [sblock=”For those who read high gothic”] Invincible Emperor [/sblock]. It has a number of shuttles dotting its surface, it must be in for some repairs. You can also see a number of well armed ships in static orbit dispersed around the station. These are likely a part of the station defense force. They sit with their weapons pointed outward ready for any threat to present itself.

The station looks like a top, with large ornate buildings clustering around the center of the station and much smaller buildings toward the edge.The center of the station looks like an Imperial Cathedral lifted from the surface of a planet and deposited in the middle of the station. It has large flying buttresses with carvings across them depicting the acts of the Emperor and his Primarchs. A top the largest building is a large Imperial Aquila, gleaming in the light of the system’s star. Around the edge of the station appear to be buildings of a more utilitarian nature. Docks, defense batteries, and shuttle bays dot its surface.

Richard brings the ship around to one of these docks and begins to slow the ship down to a complete stop. He has a running dialogue with the station control as they both work to get the ship docked. Richard cuts the power to the engines. Nothing happens for a few minutes, but then the ship is slowly pulled towards the station. A clang can be heard on the the port side of the ship as the mooring grabs a hold of the ship.

“Docking is complete Favourable Wind. Welcome to Port Wander.”

By this time Bromidus has made his way to the bridge. He looks flustered and tired but he still has the strength to muster a smile once the ship is docked.

“Here we are! Brother, Dallion has informed me he should be down to our docks within the hour with transportation to our new apartments. All my staff are ready to disembark and all our equipment is ready to go.”

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
"Very well brother," begins Thraxus, "you have my leave to begin your preparations. Carry out your work and report to our apartments so we may discuss our next steps."

The Captain rises from his command throne and begins to walk off the bridge, speaking as he walks. "Officers, gather what you need for shore leave and meet me in the hangar. Nobody goes unarmed or unarmoured. We don't know what we may encounter while aboard the station."

Thraxus then heads to the Captain's quarters and equips his ornate antique armor and prepares his equipment: weapons, ammo, etc. He looks resplendent and ready for anything as he descends to the hangar to await the rest of the party.

Remove ads