• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue's Blinding Barrage (Daily lvl 1)

Malachi_rc

First Post
I don't know about sneak attack, at least, I don't think that you can do it to more than one enemy you hit.

RAW you can, once per round, sneak attack.

Unless I missed explanation/errata somewhere?

VBMEW-01

First Post
We considered making it 2[W]+Dex against one of them and blindness to him and the others in the burst. That roughly equals what the other two dailies do.

chaotix42

First Post
Mengu said:
I assume a single magical dagger will also work.

I did too, but page 270 of the PHB says "If you're using a projectile weapon to make a ranged attack against multiple targets, you need one piece of ammunition for each target, and if you're using thrown weapons, you need one for each target."

Ziana

First Post
I saw a CSR ruling that suggests by default, you'd need multiple magic weapons, but for simplicity the DM may allow a weapon that fires & returns quick enough, or bounces around like Xena's chakram.

chaotix42 said:
Yup, you need a weapon/piece of ammunition for every target in the area. So, a rogue will need at most 9 daggers for this.
I agree with you but is there a bit of officialness on this? In any of the books, I can't find it.........it maybe eyeball ricochets FTW! Edit:
chaotix42 said:
I did too, but page 270 of the PHB says "If you're using a projectile weapon to make a ranged attack against multiple targets, you need one piece of ammunition for each target, and if you're using thrown weapons, you need one for each target."
should read the entire thread before posting. And (even though complex) IMC definitely one magic dagger etc per target.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Technically, eyeball ricochets work, since it's a close blast attack and not a ranged attack vs. multiple targets.
Makes no sense to AoE with a single crossbow bolt, but ...

Vaeron

Explorer
Blindness is the nice thing here (who wants to waste a daily on minions?) so it makes most sense to use a dagger for the +1 to hit, who cares about the extra 2-4 possible points from using a shuriken? Miss = not blind.

What makes it not broken at 1st level is the fact that it IS, most likely, only using a 1d4 as a damage die. 2(1d4)+4 is only 12 hp damage max, average of 9 damage, min of 6. A lot of rogue attacks deal condition effects precisely because of that low damage die. And secondly, because sneak attack only effects one target per round. That means, out of all the targets you hit, you can only pick one of them to take the sneak attack damage assuming you even qualify for combat advantage.

More likely to hit than a scorching burst, but only usable once per day whereas scorching burst is an at-will. I'd say that balances.

tweinst

First Post
The thing to remember here is that you, as DM, control how many targets this can hit. If you think it's too powerful to hit 9 targets, then you shouldn't be bunching up your monsters like that. In any case, for a group of 5 characters, they shouldn't even be fighting 9 equal level regular mobs. Most of those are going to be minions, so the blindness won't matter against them.

It's a lot more realistic to expect at most 4 targets, and you're likely to miss one of two of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads