"Role" Call - What Brings You Here?

Retreater

Legend
Trying to avoid threads about the hot topics of the day, I wonder what I'm doing on these boards besides just complaining and being pessimistic about the state of the hobby. And that's not good for me or anyone reading my posts. In an effort to be more positive, I thought I'd share why I still come here - nearly daily - after sixteen years (wow - has it been that long?) I invite others to do the same.
In the end, we're all gamers looking for a social outlet. And when there are issues we feel passionately about, it's sometimes easier to focus on the divisions rather than to what unites us.

I started visiting during the 3.x era - back when we had a lot more rules discussions. I dove into the reviews of the numerous d20 products that were being released more quickly than I could keep up. I liked my share of edition-warring during the 4e vs. Pathfinder era, but over the years I've mellowed out about it and re-examined 4e for what it was. In the 5e era I've focused on sharing my experiences with running the big campaign adventures, since I've run many of them. [I haven't had a lot of experience running 3PP adventures for 5e, and I don't think they would generate much discussion anyway.]

I'm a gamer who tries a lot of different systems. Maybe for me that's some of the nostalgia I seek - finding something new and figuring out how it works. In the past year or so I've played or run at least 15 different systems.

Currently, I'm in three regular games ... with two others that meet somewhat irregularly (monthly?).

This leaves little time for other "nerd media" interests. So I am terribly behind on feature films (have yet to see The Batman or Dune). And I have no illusion of ever starting or completing Rings of Power, House of the Dragon, etc.

Anyways, that's a brief snippet about me. Tell me about yourself, ask about me, whatever.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I was a long time lurker before really getting into participating on forums and social media. What I liked about EN World is a strong focus on D&D, but also RPGs of many types. I felt like it was a very good place to discuss the hobby in general. E-war happened and I left for a long time. I was a 3E and then PF1 guy. I didn't have much positive to offer to 4E and didn't want to be a hang around yucking up all the yum. Paizo was my home for a decade or so. Their forums have kind of died (unless you want to talk PF2) and so I went back to EN World and I'm here most of the time now.

I like that the discussions have a wide variety of opinions and no strong leaning in any particular direction (outside of D&D of course). I also like that there is a vibrant media and geek talk element to offer a myriad of discussions and any given time.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I migrated here from the official WotC D&D forums after they went away, along with most of the crew from that forum's Off-Topic Tavern. I'm most likely the only one left of that group, and I primarily hang out in this part of the forums because the Hive thread is the closest thing to the way things were on the other forum.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've been a participant in APA's, mailing lists and fora about RPGs for decades. After being--uninvited--from the one that had been my goto for many years a year or so ago, this has been the one I've found to have the best tone to it, albeit suffering from being D&D-centric (which I've admitted before is not my gig).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Every now and then, a thread which is relevant to my interests comes up which inspires an idea or let's me provide a rundown of something in my own games. Others are speculation threads about future supplements or adapting settings to 5e which I also find enjoyable to participate in. I wish there were more threads like that, but so many of them just seem to be focused on complaining about X or Y in the game which I don't find very interesting.

I migrated here from the official WotC D&D forums after they went away, along with most of the crew from that forum's Off-Topic Tavern. I'm most likely the only one left of that group, and I primarily hang out in this part of the forums because the Hive thread is the closest thing to the way things were on the other forum.
Obi Wan Hello GIF by Star Wars

Also same as jack

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides moderating? 😎

Even though it’s been years since I had the opportunity to game, I still like helping people improve/tweak their campaigns, PCs, and overall skill within the hobby. Occasionally, I help people find products that they might enjoy.

And occasionally, I’ve found help here with those exact same areas.

And of course, discussing movies, books, shows, and other topics is fun as well.

G

Guest 7034872

I just like playing D&D.

I came here after I found a bunch of helpful information on Planescape when I first started writing this campaign I'm running right now. One member here had an old abandoned campaign module he wrote, so after lurking for about a year, I joined and got his permission to adapt it. In all, the writing process took almost two years, but I done got 'er done.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The booze and the women.

It was 20 years ago, man. You expect me to remember what brought me here? The interwebs brought me here. I think I was looking for information on this new fangled 3rd edition of the world's most popular role playing game. At some point I found the hive or it found me. I'm not sure which. Sometimes if I'm good it lets me out to visit other threads and go potty, which I tend to do in those other threads.

Remove ads