"Role" Call - What Brings You Here?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I was in grad school and 3rd edition was coming out! I craved info and was so excited to play a half orc Paladin!

I lurked first and then had an account and deleted it.

I was on the WOTC site and that was for some years. I see a few people here I remember from there. I remember being shocked at the level of contention there before it being shut down. When it was shut down, I retreated here again. Already had an account set up.

I started coming here today I talk 5e and get 5e news.

I have some minis I have painted for Star Wars legion and stacks of board games but I really just play D&D. With kids and career I have to reallly choose what I do carefully.

Reading here has really informed me—-I get announcements and get a Analysis from fellow players. My group of many years benefits from what I share whether it’s rules interpretations or simply a heads up about upcoming represses and events.

I sat out 2e, 3.5 and 4e. We will se about 5.5. But since grade school dungeons and dragons has been my favorite pastime.

Currently too I am finishing a giant customizable 3D dungeon…

I came here only when 5e launched, at the time mostly for 5e news and rumors (including the speculation on future releases) - during 3e times, I wasn't very active in forums at all (I sometimes read stuff on the GITP forums, but even that was rare).

These days, besides being old and grumpy, I come here for general RPG news and occasionally threads on OSR and non-D&D games. While some discussions can get quite heated (and lengthy), I find the overall atmosphere here is nice and every now and then there's a really insightful post on something.

aco175

Legend
Been here a long time, likely came looking for new ideas for 3e when it came out. Never joined the Wizards boards though, so this is my only one. Heck- it is my only social media that I contribute to. I usually come and check things out 2-3 times a day if I do not have much going on. I like the 'asking for help threads' most, and the rules change threads.

I have never played online VTT style any get to play weekly with a longtime group that is currently all family but has added and dropped over the years. I like conventions but the local one has been down for the last couple years with Covid.

I was a long time lurker before really getting into participating on forums and social media. What I liked about EN World is a strong focus on D&D, but also RPGs of many types. I felt like it was a very good place to discuss the hobby in general. E-war happened and I left for a long time. I was a 3E and then PF1 guy. I didn't have much positive to offer to 4E and didn't want to be a hang around yucking up all the yum. Paizo was my home for a decade or so. Their forums have kind of died (unless you want to talk PF2) and so I went back to EN World and I'm here most of the time now.

I like that the discussions have a wide variety of opinions and no strong leaning in any particular direction (outside of D&D of course). I also like that there is a vibrant media and geek talk element to offer a myriad of discussions and any given time.
It's almost the same story for me as well. I spent several years visiting Enworld.org and reading it's many RPG focused articles. I was mostly into collecting 3e and PF1 books. I tried collecting 4e until I realized that edition wasn't my cup of tea. But I didn't start role-playing D&D again until a friend of mine invited me and another a friend of ours into his latest 5e adventure via Discord and VTT. We're still playing that adventure when we can, every Monday. We're almost done with it. :p But during that whole time, I participated in my first Kickstarter, which happened to be Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition, and I started participating on the Enworld.org forums. Which are way more interactive than the forums I visited on Paizo. ;) Enjoyable too. ;)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's almost the same story for me as well. I spent several years visiting Enworld.org and reading it's many RPG focused articles. I was mostly into collecting 3e and PF1 books. I tried collecting 4e until I realized that edition wasn't my cup of tea. But I didn't start role-playing D&D again until a friend of mine invited me and another a friend of ours into his latest 5e adventure via Discord and VTT. We're still playing that adventure when we can, every Monday. We're almost done with it. :p But during that whole time, I participated in my first Kickstarter, which happened to be Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition, and I started participating on the Enworld.org forums. Which are way more interactive than the forums I visited on Paizo. ;) Enjoyable too. ;)
I miss my Paizo friends dearly. The equivalent of the media geek talk and off topic where as vibrant as they are here at EN World, but sadly have dried up.

Stormonu

Legend
I migrated here after PlanetAD&D bit the dust, and the Gleemax forums went up in smoke. My reason for being here was always to find out what was coming next in stores and get insights into what people were doing with D&D, as well as ideas for my own homebrew (and to share what I've done).

Art Waring

halozix.com
I grew up playing a myriad of card games, and naturally migrated into ttrpg's at a young age. Played 2e, 3e, 3.X, PF, and 5e, but I actually preferred games with more specific settings and themes, stuff like Shadowrun, L5R, Paranoia, Underground, Deadlands, Exodus, we tried it, then we tore out the guts to see how everything worked.

I'm currently focusing on writing an OGL based game and typography, but I have also been creating new mechanics for games for as long as I remember. I've created numerous custom card games, including a zombie card game with optional solo-play rules and location-based spawn decks, and a cyborg fighting card game, neither of which got published due to the high costs to produce a card game independently at the time.

I was sort of active in the 3.X community, when the discussion on various forums was more focused on mechanics, but hey things change all the time.

I usually came here for the news, as it seems like it's the most up to date on everything 5e and A5e related. I stayed for the dark mode, I spend a lot of time writing so I can't look at whitescreen forums anymore ;)

delericho

Legend
I arrived here when Eric Noah (of E.N. fame) decided to retire his site. I was on there during the heady days when Ryan Dancey was merrily leaking most of the 3e design to the public.

I'm not as active as I once was, largely because I'm gaming an awful lot less than I once was.

Remove ads