• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

roleplaying across the gender line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drawmack

First Post
Buttercup said:
With all due respect, this is hooey. Speaking personally, I remember details of many past incidents. Does that make me unnatural in some way? Of course not. But it does disprove your professor's ludicrous idea.

With all do respect to a web-search on the man and see what his writting credentials are. Yes women remember deatils it would be ludicris to assume that women did not remember details. Additionally men remember emotions and it would be ludicris to assume that they did not. However what is the first thing that comes out? When you are asked to recall a specific incident do you first focus on details and then later focus on emotion or vice versa?

Snoweel

First Post
Well, for your information, she does exactly as a man does!!!!

To admit otherwise would set her emancipation back 30 years...

Drawmack

First Post
Snoweel said:
Anc, men and women are exactly the same and to be honest, I'm a little offended that you would think playing a female character would be any different to playing a male one.

d20's all about choices and one choice that should have absolutely no bearing on the game is gender.

Now the fact that your character's German otoh...

She should probably hang upside-down quite a bit...

I really hope this is tounge in cheek!!!!

First there are two words that state a psychological difference in the sexes that everyone knows exists, maternal instinct. Are there women without it? Yes, however they are the exception and not the rule and also society has a negative view of them. Are there men with it? Yes, however they are also the exception and not the rule. For example, who raises the children in most cases of broken mariges? If you met a woman who was not raising her children would you wonder why? If you met a man who was not raising his children would you wonder why?

There are also physical differences that are ignored by the rules of most gaming systems. Psha you say? Well here is a little experiment.
1) Place a kitchen chair in the middle of the room
2) Stand with your legs against the back of the chair (not facing but against)
3) Bend only from the waist and grab the seat
4) Without bending your legs stand up

Could the men do it?
Could the women do it?

Why is this the case, you ask? Well women have a body that is designed to have this thing called a child grow within it for nine months. Needs a slightly different make up then a mans body which is not designed for this. It's one of the miracles of life. Just like womens expandable hips where men have none for the same reason.

Generally speaking women are raised differently then men which creates different psychological states in the man from the woman.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Drawmack, he might be a brilliant professor of creative writing, but that doesn't mean he is an expert about how human memory works. If you want to use stereotypes to base a character in a RP game on, it matters not in the slightest. And that, after all, is the subject of this thread, if we don't drag it off topic into a flame war that isn't winnable. Suffice to say that I think your professor doesn't know what he is talking about on this subject, and you do. Whatever.

Snoweel, are you trolling? It sure looks like it.

Drawmack

First Post
Snoweel said:
Well, for your information, she does exactly as a man does!!!!

To admit otherwise would set her emancipation back 30 years...
Oh I see now. You believe that for a woman to be emancipated she must be exactly like a man. This is wrong utterly completely and incomprehensibly wrong. You see what you are doing by making this claim is stating that in order to be equal to men you must be exatly like them, that is not emancipation but rather assimilation. To deny the differences in the sexes in the name of equal rights is to accept the subserviant role and attempt to break out by means of not being what you are presumed to be. To be truly emancipated you must not only accept the differences but revel in them and prove that even with the differences you are still equal. Did the blacks claim to be white? Did they claim to be just like the whites? No and No. That however does not make them better, worse, less or more just different.

Snoweel

First Post
Drawmack said:

Well women have a body that is designed to have this thing called a child grow within it for nine months. Needs a slightly different make up then a mans body which is not designed for this. It's one of the miracles of life. Just like womens expandable hips where men have none for the same reason.

Women only have babies because society has conditioned them to do so!

And now I'm not going to argue with you anymore!!! I don't like this subject!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limp-wristed and rubber-hipped, Snoweel runs away...

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy has a well-reasoned opinion as to why he doesn't let his players play PCs of the opposite sex. I hope this thread stays open long enough for him to post on it. But I doubt it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads