• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

roleplaying across the gender line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyr

Explorer
Well, in fairness, I think that Teflon's argument is valid for his group, but I don't think it's a "universal" arguement by any means. I've been in numerous groups where it works out just fine.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Tsyr said:
Well, in fairness, I think that Teflon's argument is valid for his group, but I don't think it's a "universal" arguement by any means. I've been in numerous groups where it works out just fine.

Well, sure, it's not universally applicable, but it's probably the best rationale behind disallowing it that I've seen.

Theuderic

First Post
I personally would never want to play a female but then again that's just me. If someone wants to play the opposite sex, then they had better not play the role too well.....

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Theuderic said:
I personally would never want to play a female but then again that's just me. I someone wants to play the opposite sex then they had better not play it too well.

Huh?

Fenes 2

First Post
Drawmack said:

I really hope this is tounge in cheek!!!!

First there are two words that state a psychological difference in the sexes that everyone knows exists, maternal instinct. Are there women without it? Yes, however they are the exception and not the rule and also society has a negative view of them. Are there men with it? Yes, however they are also the exception and not the rule. For example, who raises the children in most cases of broken mariges? If you met a woman who was not raising her children would you wonder why? If you met a man who was not raising his children would you wonder why?

Generally speaking women are raised differently then men which creates different psychological states in the man from the woman.

Drawmack, if I met a typical roleplaying character, my last thought would be to wonder about his or her maternal instinct. Odds are I would wonder about his or her killer instinct.
Using "typical examples" to judge roleplaying characters does not make much sense. Roleplaying characters are the exception of the norm, not the average. Living under the "usual" circumstances common for heroes in a game world will cause psychological states that are much more significant than those traits caused by growing up in a society.

Heck, do you really expect me to consider modern, western society's effect on women when I want to play a half-elven female rogue that grew up as an orphan on the streets in a cruel fanatasy town? Do you really want me to take the modern man as a role model when I am playing a male barbarian that has been living his whole life under condidtions that would kill any couch slouch in a couple days, and has been raised to a concept of honor and "right" that is completely alien to any modern society? Even if 99.99% of all female or male characters in a world may confirm to your stereotypes that is no cause to stop anyone from playing the 0.01% that actually adventures, or deals with occult, violent crime, or risks his or her life in black ops.

Last edited:

I love to play cross-gender. It allows me to explore other archetypes that I wouldn't otherwise. For those who don't like playing archetypes, or who naively believe that they aren't
wink.gif
or who only like to play certain archetypes, I can see why not ever playing cross-gender is just fine. However, for me, it's tons of fun. I probably do it 50-60% of the time that I play.

I don't recall the details of Billy's policy, but I remember thinking that I'd laugh at any such rule with any group I've ever played with. Is it necessary for his group? I dunno, maybe so. I'd never play in a group that had issues to the point that it needed a rule like that, though. To me, the need for such a rule is merely a symptom of other, underlying issues that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Drawmack

First Post
Fenes 2 said:
Heck, do you really expect me to consider modern, western society's effect on women when I want to play a half-elven female rogue that grew up as an orphan on the streets in a cruel fanatasy town?
Nah, being a female orphan of Irish Heritage on the streets of london in the 1800's would probably be a much better model for this character.
Do you really want me to take the modern man as a role model when I am playing a male barbarian that has been living his whole life under condidtions that would kill any couch potetaoe in a couple days, and has been raised to a concept of honor and "right" that is completely alien to any modern society?
Nah, you're much better off to consider the 1800's american mountain man who went to live in the wilds because of the social unacceptability and general wrongness that he felt about his homosexuality.
Even if 99.99% of all female or male characters in a world may confirm to your stereotypes that is no cause to stop anyone from playing the 0.01% that actually adventures, or deals with occult, violent crime, or risks his or her life in black ops.
Nothing, not a damn thing. On the other hand who is to say that playing a character who becomes that something special of the course of their career does not make for an interesting game. I think to intimate that all, or even most, adventurers start out able to deal with what they could encounter out there is ludicris. For example if a fighter his first day out of the academy see a lich he'd probably leave a brown stain but if he has been adventuring for years he'd probably be like hey stop eating people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads