• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roll to Level Up Advancement Rules

canucksaram

First Post
Here's my take on an alternate XP system for D&D Fifth Edition. After reading it, I would welcome constructive criticism, especially about new or refined XP categories.

I've blended together the idea of Aspects (from FATE/Fudge), Keys (from The Shadow of Yesterday) and a roll to level up idea from here (http://www.lordkilgore.com/roll-to-advance; http://www.lordkilgore.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Roll-to-Advance.pdf).

D&D5E Character Advancement

At the conclusion of an adventure, the player of any character with 5 or more XP can attempt a level advancement check: roll d20 (+modifiers) vs. Target Number:

TN = 20 + Current Level.

Modifiers: +1 per XP spent on the roll.

Success: advance to next level; reset your XP tally to 0.

Failure: remain at current level; reduce your XP tally by half.

Milestone/Downtime: if the GM announces that a milestone has been met, roll with Advantage.

Experience Points
Each character will earn one or more XP per session:

XP Awards by Category

+1 Attendance (attending a session)
+1 Roleplaying (primarily for staying in character)
+1 Heroism (perform an act of heroism or sacrifice)
+1 Combat (survive a challenging combat encounter)
+1 Mayhem (survive multiple challenging combat encounters)
+1 Heaven's Door (be forced to make a death save)
+1 Cunning (win a conflict with cunning or wits, rather than force)
+1 Progress (furthering a personal goal)
+1 Teamwork (furthering a group goal/advancing the plot)
+1 Fumble (fumble an important roll)

+1(or more) Aspects (endure a serious setback because of an Aspect)
+1(or more) Keys (fulfil the conditions of one or more of your Keys)

*One XP/condition/session (exception: multiple XP may be earned from Aspects & Keys). If an Aspect or Key overlaps a different XP condition, use the higher of the two awards, not both;they are not additive.

Spending XP During Game Play
You may spend XP to buy Inspiration points. The first point of Inspiration bought during a scene costs 1 XP. Each subsequent Inspiration point bought during the same scene costs one XP more than the last one did (i.e., the second point costs 2 XP; the third point costs 3 XP, etc.).

Weathercock

First Post
I don't see why you wouldn't just use milestone-based levelling instead if you wanted something different from encounter experience that was more flexible and encouraging of RP. This still presents the problem of bookkeeping, and its random nature can screw over players' entire advancement on the basis of a couple of bad rolls, which can turn managing challenges as a DM into an absolute nightmare if players either can't advance to keep up with the challenges you have in mind, or are (un)lucky enough to advance so quickly that you can't keep things engaging for them.

Remove ads