• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds?

smiteworks

Explorer
We are probably still a good way out from the iPad and Android tablet versions. The interface works well for desktop use, but has not been optimized for a purely touch interface or small screens, in general. Just like DM Screens, it's hard to fit all that content onto a single screen. I normally run a laptop plus a 2nd monitor or two monitors from a desktop. I do that anyway though because I like to have lots of stuff open at all times -- even outside of Fantasy Grounds.

Many DM's also run two instances off the same laptop and point the 2nd connected laptop to the players so they can see the player maps and handouts in player view.

Burticusb

First Post
I understand, will you guys be at Gen Con this year? I'd like to see more of the tools in action. I already own FG, I bought it back in 2011 while it was still in "Beta" form. It'd be cool to see how it is now with the 5e rule set. Would be cool if I could get an early adopter discount 😉😉

smiteworks

Explorer
We will be at Gen Con this year again. Early adopters are probably the folks from 2004 though, right?

I didn't get it until 2008.

Burticusb

First Post
Just checked, looks like I got mine in 2009, you beat be by a year, lol
However, what I'd really like to be able to swap out the 6 Lite license keys I bought for $23ea and just upgrade my Normal license for an Ultimate 😁

Nylanfs

Adventurer
[MENTION=6791242]Burticusb[/MENTION], those can be upgraded through the interface VI's the Upgrade License for a discount. They would be tied to your players forum account though.

Mgrancey

First Post
Probably the most amusing thing out of this whole debate on Roll20 vs FG is the lack of impartiality on Roll20s side by it supporters. No, I know there are those out there who admit to its cons, but it seems that Roll20 fans are largely fanatical, again over all in the various debates I have seen. How much of this is caused by various reasons interests me.

I have seen tons shouts about of Dynamic Lighting, and ONE person who has stated what I figured was true. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME TO SETUP.

MAPPING!!!!! Yeah, this is a ROLE-Playing Game. NOT a MAP-Playing Game. I challenge you guys to go 2 months with no or minimal maps! Ooh! I'll have to think on this and offer it forward. Mwahahahahaha~!

CUSTOMIZABLE! Customizable because there are no mechanics built in except character sheets at this time. You can find macros in the forums. Do they have anyone who has built centralized lists in the forums.

LFG!!!! How often do you need to look for a group? Its built on a social media engine so understandable that is better. BUT Why is looking for a group so important how often do you need to do it? Maybe you should be asking why do you need to look so often?

MUSIC, AUDIO, and VIDEO!!!! Good points but honestly I find music more of a distraction than a benefit, both as a GM and Player. Used Roll20, maybe you can change icons down to a smaller size, but they take up a pretty good chunk of the screen. And honestly, its kinda nice just to run a game in my robe. Pretty sure nobody wants to see that.

Now if you want to say none of these are cons and Roll20 is perfect, well I can already smell the smoke from you.

And what about all the stuff it is lacking. Easy to use and figure out? No outside of the MAPPING! Library of NPCs, gear or other items? Party sheet? Calendar? Journal?

So to summarize, here is what I hear about Roll20 whenever this debate comes up and in a rough general order:

1. Free
2. Mapping
3. Customizable
4. LFG?
5. A/V included
6. Dynamic Lighting

So it has 6 major points for it. You know that's not really very much., one of which is new.

seycyrus

First Post
I hear that they actually pay YOU to use Roll20!

I also hear that the dynamic lighting sets up automatically through a mind-reading UI!

xanstin

Explorer
So to summarize, here is what I hear about Roll20 whenever this debate comes up and in a rough general order:

1. Free
2. Mapping
3. Customizable
4. LFG?
5. A/V included
6. Dynamic Lighting

So it has 6 major points for it. You know that's not really very much., one of which is new.

This is a common misconception....I have used both roll20 and FG
1. Not free if you want more than 100mb of maps/tokens. Mind you if you want nice tokens like the ones included in modules in FG you have to pay for them.
2.Mapping is better on roll20
3.Draw - roll20 has zero automation and forces macros, if you want API for custom stuff its not free. FG is plenty customizable as well.
4. FG website has a campaign calendar which is set up to be a LFG, but its not as advanced as the roll20 one.
5. Roll 20 has it all included however you are limited to soundcloud for sound. Voicemeeter and Skype you can get the same thing or better in roll20 but its not built in.
6. Dynamic lighting is always talked about right after free....you don't get dynamic lighting if the DM has a free account.

One big thing that FG has is the built in ruleset which takes care of like 80% of DM workload with automation for rolls/saves/hp/damage etc all built right in with no need for additional macros. It also has a powerful effects tool to apply effects to pcs with timers to autostop them that you set.

This is from a DMs perspective. In both systems if the DM has the paying account (R20 - mentor 9.99 or FG- Ultimate 9.99) the players benefit for free.

Hawkwind

Explorer
As a Fantasy Grounds fan and user I certainly don't want to knock any one using Roll20, it's a great app in lots of ways, even the free version! If you want to just want to have online equivalent of a group of players playing with a DM who has a rule book and his or her notes to hand it's almost perfect and then some. It's just like playing at home except you don't have to tidy up after the players at the end of the game. Also for DM who doesn't want to get into esoteric art of doing port forwarding on his router or even installing any software. it's also great as all you need to do start up a browser, find some players and learn a few simple dice commands and you can just use your exist real books and pdf's. Compared to all the other VTT's it's brilliantly simple with good UI and the numbers of users speak to that brilliance. Personally I want more and I largely get it from from Fantasy Grounds, the automation alone is worth the price of admission, I don't want built in audio or map making facilities I can get better free apps which will do that better but I wouldn't mind dynamic lighting!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads