• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolling HP Variant

Nifft

Penguin Herder
juliaromero said:
I appologize if my HP system has somehow offended you.

It probably also has to do with power level -- your system will benefit non-casters, which is VERY GOOD if you think that casters are overpowered at high levels.

Remember -- all criticism is constructive, even if it looks like a personal attack! ;)

-- N, also trying to be helpful

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Code:
Standard        d4      d6      d8      d10     d12
average         2.5     3.5     4.5     5.5     6.5
ratio           1       1       1       1       1

Juliaromero     d4      d4+2    d6+2    d6+4    d8+4
average		2.5     4.5     5.5     7.5     8.5
ratio           1       1.29    1.22    1.36    1.31

all d4s         d4      d4+2    d4+4    d4+6    d4+8
average         2.5     4.5     6.5     8.5     10.5
ratio           1.00    1.29    1.44    1.55    1.62

Centaur         d3+1    d4+2    d5+3    d6+4    d7+5
average         3       4.5     6       7.5     9
ratio           1.20    1.29    1.33    1.36    1.38

min half (round down)					
average         2.75    4       5.25    6.5     7.75
ratio           1.10    1.14    1.17    1.18    1.19

min half (round up)					
average         3.25    4.5     5.75    7       8.25
ratio           1.30    1.29    1.28    1.27    1.27

Cyberzombie     d2+2    d3+3    d4+4    d5+5    d6+6
average         3.5     5       6.5     8       9.5
ratio           1.40    1.43    1.44    1.45    1.46

reroll 1s	d3+1	d5+1	d7+1	d9+1	d11+1
average         3       4       5       6       7
ratio           1.20    1.14    1.11    1.09    1.08

If I wanted a "heroic" game where everyone has more hp, I would use Cyberzombie's system [slightly favors fighters] or minimum half(round up) [slightly favors wizards]. If I wanted to give a boost to wizards, I would use Reroll 1s. If I wanted to give a boost to fighters, I would use Centaur's or Juliaromero's system. If I didn't want any of those things but still wanted to reduce player disappointment at rolling low, I would use min half(round down).

-RedShirt

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
RedShirtNo5 said:
If I wanted a "heroic" game where everyone has more hp, I would use Cyberzombie's system [slightly favors fighters] or minimum half(round up) [slightly favors wizards]. If I wanted to give a boost to wizards, I would use Reroll 1s. If I wanted to give a boost to fighters, I would use Centaur's or Juliaromero's system. If I didn't want any of those things but still wanted to reduce player disappointment at rolling low, I would use min half(round down).

Rerolling ones has the same average as the LG system (average rounded up). Min half (round down) favors fighters just as much as LG favors wizards.

timfire

First Post
My group has always just used the min=1/2 die rule.

But if we're just posting ideas, something someone else suggested was that you just automatically give players max HP at 1st level. Over time things will balance out, but it gives a bit of a boost for the first couple levels.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Rerolling ones has the same average as the LG system (average rounded up). Min half (round down) favors fighters just as much as LG favors wizards.

It is close, but min half (round down) does have a slightly smaller spread than reroll ones/LG (9% v. 12%). Unless I calculated the numbers wrong or have a round-off error, which is possible.

Assuming you roll rather than simply use an average, there are secondary considerations. Such as that a player of a fighter rolling a "2" may still feel disappointed, whereas a player of a wizard rolling a "1" might not. Overall, if the objective is to reduce player disappointment with minimum impact on balance, min half (round down) is the way to go (all IMO of course).

The main issue is to be aware of what the impact actually is for any particular choice.

-RedShirt

KarinsDad

Adventurer
juliaromero said:
I appologize if my HP system has somehow offended you. Our group is quite happy with it, and we will continue to you use it. I just posted it as a suggestion since we like it, I don't really care if anyone else uses it or likes it. My mistake for trying to be helpful.

Don't be so sensitive and self righteous.

Just like someone might have liked your system and might have used it as is, someone else might have considered my dislike of your system and then taken your system and adjusted it slightly for their own use. Who knows? That is what the House Rules forums are for: debate over gaming ideas so that people can pick and choose what they might want to use for their games.

You gave your reasons for using your system. I game my reasons for disliking it (which someone else echoed). That gives other people multiple ideas as opposed to just one. Yours.

If you don't want people debating your ideas, don't post them. And especially don't whine over it if they do.

Remove ads