• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roman Mythology help

Thatwackyned

First Post
On the roof of the world, a blue jewel is floating in the sky. In the air, the wind horse carries another jewel, which is said to grant wishes.

Give the romanized native name of both jewels in order, separated by a comma.

If anyone could help, it would be great.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A thing called a "wind horse" appears in some Native American and Asian mythologies, but horses are creatures of Poseidon/Neptune (and thus of water, not wind) in Greek/Roman mythology.

Unless, of course, the "wind horse" is Pegasus. But he doesn't carry around a wish-granting jewel.

Thatwackyned

First Post
The Tibetan word for prayer flags is Lung-ta, literally "Windhorse". The central image is that of a horse bearing three flaming jewels on its back, representing the Tibetan Buddhist trinity. This is the triple refuge of Buddha, who is the enlightened one, Dharma, the path of Buddhist teachings, & Sangha, the Buddhist monastic community. The Windhorse is both the subduer of evil & the vehicle of enlightenment.

Now to romanize the jewel.

Pbartender

First Post
The first is likely Lapis Lazuli. If I remember correctly, it's the stone associated with the planet Jupiter in Roman mythology. Historically, there are plentiful deposits of lazurite in the Pamir Mountains, which are also known as "The Roof of the World".

Thatwackyned

First Post
Got that one. But thanks, this is hard. Any idea on the second, I might be way off on the Tibetian avenue, as it's the flags that grant wishes.

Pbartender

First Post
Got that one. But thanks, this is hard. Any idea on the second, I might be way off on the Tibetian avenue, as it's the flags that grant wishes.

Just be aware that it doesn't necessarily seem to relate to Roman mythology... To me, the question seems to be just looking for romanized names of the gemstones related to the clues.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I understand that. That's why I went Tibetan. But i think that was a dead end as it's the flag that grant wishes, not the stones on the horses back. But arg... So close.

Pbartender

First Post
I understand that. That's why I went Tibetan. But i think that was a dead end as it's the flag that grant wishes, not the stones on the horses back. But arg... So close.

Actually, you may be on the right track... The handbook of Tibetan Buddhist symbols says, "The wind-horse usually carries on its saddle the wish granting gem of the chakravartin, which radiates peace, prosperity and harmony wherever it travels." It doesn't say, however, what kind of gem it is.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I think what they ment by romanized is the "english" translation. But I think you got it man. Thanks so much.

Tomorrow I'll have a tougher question if you want to help with that one too.

Remove ads