• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Room in 5e for 2e-style multiclassing?

Li Shenron

Legend
Yes but I would rather have the dynamic function be applied through feats rather than classes. If you want to dip into another class's features that should be feats. If you want to be a fighter/mage that should be something done at character generation. Then feel free to dip into rogue with some feats, if you want to pick up some rogue later in your career. This would dramatically simplify the level up system. Is simplifying the level up system needed?

I can also buy the "dual-class" multi-classing method as an option. Actually it might be nice to have both the dual class and multi-class systems be included as optional. The feats to pick up other classes class features though, in my mind that is integral to the game and should not be considered optional.

Would you consider letting a feat grant a whole level of another class balanced, unbalanced, or plain too weird?

In the first case, would you let it grant levels only strictly in order, or would you let it "pick" higher levels (tho spellcasting would be a problem this way) up to your total character level?

The next playtest survey is up -- put in your feedback! I suggested they look at this kind of multi-classing in mine.

I did it as well. In fact, a DMG module for gestalt characters (in the same vein as UA, but balanced to play along with single-classed characters) would probably be enough for the multiclass needs of our group.

A possibility occurred to me. Assuming they kept the current multiclass spellcasting chart, they could create a feat that allows you to learn spells of the next highest level (or 2) in a specific class, as long as you have spell slots of that level available.

In order to make me happy, subclasses like Eldritch Knight would have to increase your spellcasting level (such as by counting as a half or third caster class).

I don't like that it would take a feat, but given that Eldritch Knight would likely grant you things like extra spell preparations and swift spellcasting (like bard), I could be satisfied with it.

The feat would also work great for Mystic Theurge type concepts.

Remove ads