• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope Trick: any advances?

Yeah, I have to agree. Neither am I fussy about PCs accessing their handy haversacks etc within a rope trick. Such items are win-win things I think--the players don't have to worry about tallying things such as carrying capacity too much, and the DM doesn't have to nag them about doing so. I'm all in favour of such win-win situations, so to me restricting their use too much is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

mvincent said:
That is a reasonable interpretation, especially since the 3.5 FAQ says... (snipped)
. Yes, it's reasonable, but I could counter that when the FAQ states that an extradimensional space is "considered to be on another plane", it's in the context of the teleport spell. As I quoted, "the upper end of a rope trick spell is an extradimensional space that is outside the multiverse of extradimensional spaces (“planes”)." (My emphasis) So it counts as another plane for teleport, limiting the use of that spell in this context, but doesn't count as another plane for, say, Forbiddance.

Whoops, sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rules debate!

Thanks for your contributions.

mvincent

Explorer
LordMelquiades said:
So it counts as another plane for teleport, limiting the use of that spell in this context, but doesn't count as another plane for, say, Forbiddance.
The rope trick text seems to suggest that it counts as another plane for all purpose:
"Creatures in the extradimensional space are hidden, beyond the reach of spells (including divinations), unless those spells work across planes."

This is the accepted paradigm for all extradimensional spaces, and I believe this was the writer's intent in regard to the FAQ answer (i.e. not just in regard solely to teleportation).

Mind you: I like your explanation as a (much needed) work-around, I just couldn't declare it a truism.

Bagpuss

Legend
Actually reading up I don't have an issue with Forbiddance and Bags of Holding and the like, as they contain pockets of nondimensional space (which could well be just a magical effect within the same plane IMHO) compared to Rope Trick which is extradimensional space (defined in the description as outside the normal plane).

I believe in earlier editions (2nd) bags of holding and the like worked like Rope Trick in that they opened into areas of extradimensional space, but that wording has been changed.

mvincent

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
Actually reading up I don't have an issue with Forbiddance and Bags of Holding and the like, as they contain pockets of nondimensional space (which could well be just a magical effect within the same plane IMHO) compared to Rope Trick which is extradimensional space (defined in the description as outside the normal plane).
Nondimensional and Extradimensional mean the same thing in D&D (i.e. both are used to describe a portable hole).

Remove ads