• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope Trick vs. Leomund's Tiny Hut and better.

Nail

First Post
I haven't seen the spell cast in my games. It's just not that great, compared to all the other cool 2nd level spells, IMO.

takasi

First Post
Vegepygmy said:
Nothing in the spell description says you can get good rest inside a rope trick. If you rule that anyone trying to spend the night in one wakes up fatigued (as if they'd slept in heavy armor, say), that pretty much solves the problem.

Another perk for the warforged...

mvincent

Explorer
Vegepygmy said:
Nothing in the spell description says you can get good rest inside a rope trick.
From the "Tactics and Tips" WotC article:
"this spell works best when cast by an 8th-level sorcerer or wizard, allowing a full night's sleep"

A DM could (as always) rule otherwise, but it would seem contrary to expectations and so the players should probably be informed of this beforehand.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Well if that's an official word from WotC, that's enough for me (until they change their mind).

And that means I'm going to have to give the party oodles and oodles of extradimensional space magic items.

mvincent

Explorer
Jack Simth said:
there's a pesky little note in Rope Trick about the hazards of multiple extradimensional spaces....
From the 3.0 FAQ:
"Note you can freely go plane hopping with portable holes, bags of holding, and the like. Spells that produce their own extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, pose no danger to occupants who may be using portable holes, bags of holding, and the like."

From the Rules of the Game:
"rope trick and Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion both create extradimensional spaces. The rope trick spell description makes a passing mention of "hazards" associated with placing one extradimensional space inside another, but gives no details. (See the rope trick excerpt.)

I recommend that you ignore this reference. Your campaign won't be improved if rope trick effects implode when someone carries a bag of holding or portable hole inside. A Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion should likewise prove benign if someone carries a bag of holding or portable hole inside."

Obligatory disclaimer: this information is intended solely for those that desir to use the FAQ or RotG

Last edited:

TheGogmagog

First Post
The WotC article is comforting, that's the way we alwas played it. But realistically compare it to any of the other sanctum, or even faithfull hound spells. It's nearly a 5th level, effect.

mvincent

Explorer
TheGogmagog said:
The WotC article is comforting, that's the way we alwas played it. But realistically compare it to any of the other sanctum, or even faithfull hound spells. It's nearly a 5th level, effect.
Yup. It's powerful (effectively the ultimate 'save game'), but it seems to facilitate game-play: i.e. players are bound to find a way to rest anyway, so might as well skip the night-time random encounter and move on to the main adventure.

I've had the exact opposite problem before: players that never bothered to use rope-trick. A locked door simply isn't going to keep a dungeon full of (teleporting) demons or devils out... and I end up seeming like a mean DM.

If you are having a problem with Rope Trick though, simply have a few of BBEG's start using it. It's fairly likely that the PC's will then figure out some way to circumvent it (likely in some really naster manner). Take notes and chuckle loudly when they do so. Chances are your players won't use Rope Trick again after that.

Jack Simth

First Post
mvincent said:
From the 3.0 FAQ:
"Note you can freely go plane hopping with portable holes, bags of holding, and the like. Spells that produce their own extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, pose no danger to occupants who may be using portable holes, bags of holding, and the like."

From the Rules of the Game:
"rope trick and Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion both create extradimensional spaces. The rope trick spell description makes a passing mention of "hazards" associated with placing one extradimensional space inside another, but gives no details. (See the rope trick excerpt.)

I recommend that you ignore this reference. Your campaign won't be improved if rope trick effects implode when someone carries a bag of holding or portable hole inside. A Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion should likewise prove benign if someone carries a bag of holding or portable hole inside."
Hey, aren't those the same sources that, for a very long time, said that acid damage both did, and did not, ignore hardness (in different sections, but still...)?

Not all DM's trust the FAQ or Rules of the Game articles.

When someone mentions a particular spell that they're worried about, and the text of the spell suggests a way to weaken it while giving the DM a free hand in implementation, I'm going to point it out. So what if a... what, tetriary? ... Source suggests ignoring something that is actually Core. Rules of Precedence. The PHB description of the spell ovverrides basically everything except the DM in relation to what it covers. Sure, you could follow that... but it's the DM's call. It's not like the FAQ for an older version of the game, or a dev's reccomendation (do note that even in your quote he called it a reccomendation, not the proper interpertation) is actually an offical ruling for the current version.

Dargon said:
What book is this spell from?
The SRD; it's the generic version of the PHB's Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum. The two spells are identicle except for the name.

mvincent

Explorer
Jack Simth said:
Not all DM's trust the FAQ or Rules of the Game articles.
If you are one, then don't use the information I have freely provided. However, not providing such information (which is evidently what some people on this board desire) would seem unfair to other readers. I have added an appropriate disclaimer to my earlier post.

Nail

First Post
mvincent said:
I've had the exact opposite problem before: players that never bothered to use rope-trick. A locked door simply isn't going to keep a dungeon full of (teleporting) demons or devils out... and I end up seeming like a mean DM.
Send your Players here.

We'll gladly provide them with pointers on how to survive your game. :]

Remove ads