RPG Crowdfunding News – Fate of Chentoufi, Bridgetown, The Vineyard, and more

Crowdfunding projects ending between May 1 and 4

This week’s sampling of tabletop RPG crowdfunding projects end between May 1 and 4. It’s a small span of time, but a lot of good offerings. In addition, this is the article where I use “troikan” as an expression akin to Battlestar Galactica’s “frak” for the first time. That might be my biggest contribution to Troika!

The Fate of Chentoufi- Adventure in Luke Gygax's Okkorim.jpg

The Fate of Chentoufi: Adventure in Luke Gygax's Okkorim from Gaxx Worx
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 9:05 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? A new D&D adventure from a Gygax, do you need more information? Yes? Ok. This project is the conclusion to Luke Gygax’s Oculus of Senrahbah series. This installment is estimated to be around 50 pages of adventure for a standard party of 8th to 9th level characters. Since this is the conclusion to the adventure series, I don’t want to spoil any of the earlier parts, but let’s say there’s a relic and so much more. Expect a solid backstory and fun encounters as this project wraps up. Best of all, when this project comes out there will be another tabletop product with the Gygax family name on it and that’s a NAT 20 success!

Bridgetown- A pastoral liminal RPG setting.jpg

Bridgetown: A pastoral liminal RPG setting from Technical Grimoire
  • END DATE: Mon, May 1 2023 10:57 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Troika!
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 + S/H for the PDF, HTML, and print versions of the book and map
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? “A never-ending, ever-crumbling bridge that connects all Troika spheres together.” Without the “ever-crumbling” part, it wouldn’t have felt like Troika! Seriously. That’s just the tip of how Troika! this project is. There’s so troikan much going on with this campaign that I’m not even going to try to cover it all. There’s a hundred page book, it’s about a bridge world. The system is Troika! but with a new spellcasting system. You’ll get new locations, hand made dice, gatehouses, and soup. It’s everything and the kitchen sink because, hey, Troika! Check out the campaign page for balms and HTML.

The Vineyard RPG.jpg

The Vineyard RPG from Friday Strout
  • END DATE: Tue, May 2 2023 2:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Tales of the Valiant (Kobold Press’ Project Black Flag)
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 for the PDF version of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project offers a queer gothic horror campaign setting centered around a city as a new undead God of Secrets arises. This power masquerades as a corporate front even as it seeks followers and prepares to destroy its enemies. Will you join? Featuring nine villains, each detailed with stats, bio, pictures, lairs, plot hooks, and more, they’re waiting with treasure and traps throughout this setting. This 220-page book includes mechanics for the wasting sickness, contracts, and secrets, all elements that the God of Secrets cultivates. If you need a campaign with an undead crime mob for 5e or Kobold Press’ upcoming Tales of the Valiant, this Kickstarter may be for you.

CharCon 2023 - THE West Virginia Gaming Convention.jpg

CharCon 2023 - THE West Virginia Gaming Convention
  • END DATE: Tue, May 2 2023 6:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Tabletop gaming convention
  • DATES AND LOCATION: July 14 to 16, 2023 at the Clay Center in Charleston, West Virginia
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 gets you a 3-day badge and collectible die
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Close to Charleston, West Virginia and interested in tabletop gaming? The 16th CharCon is coming this summer, and this year’s theme is time travel. If you’re looking for RPGs to play as well as other games, this is worth checking out.

ZineCrate Extravaganza.jpg

ZineCrate Extravaganza! from Sci-Fi Epics
  • END DATE: Wed, May 3 2023 12:27 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Multiple
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zines and boxes
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $80 + S/H for both RPG zine boxes and eight zines/pamphlets
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you’re an RPG zine head like I am, this project needs to be on your radar. Not only does it offer two boxes covered in horror and sci-fi artwork to store your zines in, they’re offering discounted bundles of zines. Each box is 3.5” deep, but since zine thickness varies the number that you’ll store in each box will vary. If you opt to add-on the zine bundles, the blindbox offering includes zines and tri-fold pamphlets using a variety of systems like Mothership, MÖRK BORG, CY_BORG, OSE, 5e, and more. If you’re interested in who is providing the zines, there’s a list of some of the publishers involved here. For my part, I went with the $80 bundle plus the additional add-on zine bundles which breaks down to under $8 an item (plus shipping). Since I want the boxes and always want more zines, this is an economic option to stock up.

Roll for Romance- A D&D Date Night.jpg

Roll for Romance: A D&D Date Night from Joanna Mazurkiewicz
  • END DATE: Wed, May 3 2023 2:38 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder First Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the 5e version of the adventure
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? We’re seeing a variety of romantic RPG options for 5e with Roll for Romance, Price of the Dragon: A Role-Playing Game for Couples [NSFW] as well as Kinks and Cantrips [lightly NSFW]. While I’ve written supplements for love in 5e games (here and here), these projects take the concept to the next level with couple/partner roleplaying. Roll for Romance is a 120-page Jane Austen-inspired adventure for 5e or PF1e. To keep the romantic options open and less predictable, this project is more of a read and roleplay without a GM. Both players read the narration and react to the options, which includes a fantasy truth or dare. If the idea of Jane Austin, the undead, vampires, and a GM-less duet sounds like a good time to you, this adventure may make for an intimate night. Or a TPK, who’s to say.

Dungeons Pop - Immersive Pop-Up Tabletop RPG Battle Maps.jpg

Dungeons Pop - Immersive Pop-Up Tabletop RPG Battle Maps
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 12:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System Neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $68 + S/H for a print copy of the book set and slipcase
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s a pop-up book like you had when you were young, but the contents are 3D settings for your miniatures. If you go with the Origins Set, you get three locations (a tavern, a ruin, and a tower) plus nine pop-up elements that you can use to customize them. Made of dry erase material, you can draw in what you need to for your adventures. Best of all, when not in use, the settings fold up and go into a slipcase. If you need easy to transport settings for an adventure, settings that would be ideal for convention play, this campaign is worth popping in on.

Portents of the Degloved Hand for MÖRK BORG.jpg

Portents of the Degloved Hand for MÖRK BORG from Exalted Funeral
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Source deck
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the deck and a PDF version of the GM Guide Book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do your MÖRK BORG adventures need more doom? Yes, yes they do. This project offers coffin shaped cards with chaos and powers that your players can obtain. 52 cards, each with a new element to bring favor to the character and ruin to the world. The characters trade to get them and use them for effects and opportunities. If your MÖRK BORG sessions could use more spice, this is that spice.

To Save A Kingdom—An Adventure Path for 5E & Level Up- A5E.jpg

To Save A Kingdom—An Adventure Path for 5E & Level Up: A5E from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 6:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £50 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I’m on an art kick right now. Because of that, I want to spotlight the good work that EN Publishing is doing with the art for this project. Claudio Pozas’ cover and character portraits are so captivating that the originals deserve to be prints and posters onto themselves. If you want to see how much this project has, uh, leveled up [Apologies!] visually, check out the campaign page to see the images they’re sharing.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

As I noted in my previous post, Tar'khal is no longer open. I was also looking at Dretelia, but it doesn't look like it will make it (but who knows).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm very much interested in the Book of Extinction (even though they've got a weird pledge structure which lacks a 'just the core book' option unless you mess about with add-ons). I'm just not sure I'm quite mentally prepared to back a kickstarter campaign with an expected fulfilment date of 2025 :oops:

Yeah, I get why companies might do that -- a revenue stream to allow creators to focus on creating, rather than their day jobs -- but as a backer, I don't have the time or money to act as a patron of the arts in that way.

I am definitely interested in checking out the book when it gets much closer to hitting store shelves.

Lalato

Adventurer
As I noted in my previous post, Tar'khal is no longer open. I was also looking at Dretelia, but it doesn't look like it will make it (but who knows).
Forgot to check to see if it was cancelled. Thanks for the heads up.

In my opinion, Dretelia has too high of a funding goal. $40K is a big ask. Assuming the current distribution of reward tiers played out through the entire campaign, they would need over 1500 backers.

That said, the amount they raised so far would have been enough to fund a PDF release. But might not be enough to fund all of the art that is mentioned.

I'll have to do some analysis at some point to see what the most common successful funding goals are. @Egg Embry is this something that is tracked anywhere?

In my opinion, Dretelia has too high of a funding goal. $40K is a big ask. Assuming the current distribution of reward tiers played out through the entire campaign, they would need over 1500 backers.

Also, they hamstrung themselves when it came to attracting higher-tier backers by only shipping physical products to the USA. For international backers, it was pdf or nothing, and i was one of those who chose the latter. I don't think it would have tipped the scales between success or failure, but they did lose some potential backers there. Maybe fulfillment via an established network like DTRPG print on demand or something would have made it more viable for them (though what i know about the print/publishing side of these things can be written in large type on the toenail of an ant...)

Thoth11

Explorer
This week’s sampling of tabletop RPG crowdfunding projects end between May 1 and 4. It’s a small span of time, but a lot of good offerings. In addition, this is the article where I use “troikan” as an expression akin to Battlestar Galactica’s “frak” for the first time. That might be my biggest contribution to Troika!

The Fate of Chentoufi: Adventure in Luke Gygax's Okkorim from Gaxx Worx
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 9:05 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? A new D&D adventure from a Gygax, do you need more information? Yes? Ok. This project is the conclusion to Luke Gygax’s Oculus of Senrahbah series. This installment is estimated to be around 50 pages of adventure for a standard party of 8th to 9th level characters. Since this is the conclusion to the adventure series, I don’t want to spoil any of the earlier parts, but let’s say there’s a relic and so much more. Expect a solid backstory and fun encounters as this project wraps up. Best of all, when this project comes out there will be another tabletop product with the Gygax family name on it and that’s a NAT 20 success!

Bridgetown: A pastoral liminal RPG setting from Technical Grimoire
  • END DATE: Mon, May 1 2023 10:57 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Troika!
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 + S/H for the PDF, HTML, and print versions of the book and map
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? “A never-ending, ever-crumbling bridge that connects all Troika spheres together.” Without the “ever-crumbling” part, it wouldn’t have felt like Troika! Seriously. That’s just the tip of how Troika! this project is. There’s so troikan much going on with this campaign that I’m not even going to try to cover it all. There’s a hundred page book, it’s about a bridge world. The system is Troika! but with a new spellcasting system. You’ll get new locations, hand made dice, gatehouses, and soup. It’s everything and the kitchen sink because, hey, Troika! Check out the campaign page for balms and HTML.

The Vineyard RPG from Friday Strout
  • END DATE: Tue, May 2 2023 2:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Tales of the Valiant (Kobold Press’ Project Black Flag)
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 for the PDF version of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project offers a queer gothic horror campaign setting centered around a city as a new undead God of Secrets arises. This power masquerades as a corporate front even as it seeks followers and prepares to destroy its enemies. Will you join? Featuring nine villains, each detailed with stats, bio, pictures, lairs, plot hooks, and more, they’re waiting with treasure and traps throughout this setting. This 220-page book includes mechanics for the wasting sickness, contracts, and secrets, all elements that the God of Secrets cultivates. If you need a campaign with an undead crime mob for 5e or Kobold Press’ upcoming Tales of the Valiant, this Kickstarter may be for you.

CharCon 2023 - THE West Virginia Gaming Convention
  • END DATE: Tue, May 2 2023 6:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Tabletop gaming convention
  • DATES AND LOCATION: July 14 to 16, 2023 at the Clay Center in Charleston, West Virginia
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 gets you a 3-day badge and collectible die
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Close to Charleston, West Virginia and interested in tabletop gaming? The 16th CharCon is coming this summer, and this year’s theme is time travel. If you’re looking for RPGs to play as well as other games, this is worth checking out.

ZineCrate Extravaganza! from Sci-Fi Epics
  • END DATE: Wed, May 3 2023 12:27 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Multiple
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zines and boxes
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $80 + S/H for both RPG zine boxes and eight zines/pamphlets
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you’re an RPG zine head like I am, this project needs to be on your radar. Not only does it offer two boxes covered in horror and sci-fi artwork to store your zines in, they’re offering discounted bundles of zines. Each box is 3.5” deep, but since zine thickness varies the number that you’ll store in each box will vary. If you opt to add-on the zine bundles, the blindbox offering includes zines and tri-fold pamphlets using a variety of systems like Mothership, MÖRK BORG, CY_BORG, OSE, 5e, and more. If you’re interested in who is providing the zines, there’s a list of some of the publishers involved here. For my part, I went with the $80 bundle plus the additional add-on zine bundles which breaks down to under $8 an item (plus shipping). Since I want the boxes and always want more zines, this is an economic option to stock up.

Roll for Romance: A D&D Date Night from Joanna Mazurkiewicz
  • END DATE: Wed, May 3 2023 2:38 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder First Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the 5e version of the adventure
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? We’re seeing a variety of romantic RPG options for 5e with Roll for Romance, Price of the Dragon: A Role-Playing Game for Couples [NSFW] as well as Kinks and Cantrips [lightly NSFW]. While I’ve written supplements for love in 5e games (here and here), these projects take the concept to the next level with couple/partner roleplaying. Roll for Romance is a 120-page Jane Austen-inspired adventure for 5e or PF1e. To keep the romantic options open and less predictable, this project is more of a read and roleplay without a GM. Both players read the narration and react to the options, which includes a fantasy truth or dare. If the idea of Jane Austin, the undead, vampires, and a GM-less duet sounds like a good time to you, this adventure may make for an intimate night. Or a TPK, who’s to say.

Dungeons Pop - Immersive Pop-Up Tabletop RPG Battle Maps
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 12:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System Neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $68 + S/H for a print copy of the book set and slipcase
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s a pop-up book like you had when you were young, but the contents are 3D settings for your miniatures. If you go with the Origins Set, you get three locations (a tavern, a ruin, and a tower) plus nine pop-up elements that you can use to customize them. Made of dry erase material, you can draw in what you need to for your adventures. Best of all, when not in use, the settings fold up and go into a slipcase. If you need easy to transport settings for an adventure, settings that would be ideal for convention play, this campaign is worth popping in on.

Portents of the Degloved Hand for MÖRK BORG from Exalted Funeral
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Source deck
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the deck and a PDF version of the GM Guide Book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do your MÖRK BORG adventures need more doom? Yes, yes they do. This project offers coffin shaped cards with chaos and powers that your players can obtain. 52 cards, each with a new element to bring favor to the character and ruin to the world. The characters trade to get them and use them for effects and opportunities. If your MÖRK BORG sessions could use more spice, this is that spice.

To Save A Kingdom—An Adventure Path for 5E & Level Up: A5E from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, May 4 2023 6:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £50 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I’m on an art kick right now. Because of that, I want to spotlight the good work that EN Publishing is doing with the art for this project. Claudio Pozas’ cover and character portraits are so captivating that the originals deserve to be prints and posters onto themselves. If you want to see how much this project has, uh, leveled up [Apologies!] visually, check out the campaign page to see the images they’re sharing.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.
Another great collection of RPGs!

Lalato

Adventurer
In unrelated news... I was just flagged as a spammer by Kickstarter for asking too many questions of creators via Kickstarters messaging system.

Remove ads

Remove ads