• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The AI DM in Action

How might WOTC launch an AI-powered DM assistant?

How might WOTC launch an AI-powered DM assistant?

technology-4256272_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

We know Wizards of the Coast is tinkering with Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered tools for its multiple properties, including Dungeons & Dragons. But what might that look like in practice?

Interactive NPCs​

Large Language Model (LLM) AIs have been used extensively to create non-player characters of all stripes on Character.AI. It's not a stretch to imagine that Wizards might have official NPCs included as part of the digital purchase of an adventure, with the rough outline of the NPC acting as parameters for how it would interact. DMs might be able to create their own or modify existing NPCs so that the character drops hints or communicates in a certain way. Log outputs could then be available for DMs to use later.

There are several places today where you can create NPC bots powered by AI that are publicly available, although the DM might need to monitor the output in real time to record the conversation. Character.AI and Poe.com both provide the ability to create publicly available characters that players can interact with .

Random Generators​

There are already dozens of these in existence. What's particularly of note is that AI can go deep -- not just randomize what book is in a library, but provide snippets of text of what's in that book. Not just detail the name of a forgotten magic item, but provide stats for the item. For WOTC products, this could easily cover details that no print product can possibly encompass in detail, or with parameters (for example, only a library with books on necromancy).

AI RPG companion is a great example of this, but there are many more.

Tabletop Assistants​

Hasbro recently partnered with Xplored, with the goal of developing a "new tabletop platform that integrates digital and physical play." Of particular note is how Xplore's technology works: its system "intelligently resolves rules and character behaviors, and provides innovative gameplay, new scenarios and ever-changing storytelling events. The technology allows players to learn by playing with no rulebook needed, save games to resume later, enables remote gameplay, and offers features like immersive contextual sound and connected dice."

If that sounds like it could be used to enhance an in-person Dungeons & Dragons game, Xplored is already on that path with Teburu, a digital board game platform that uses "smart-sensing technology, AI, and dynamic multimedia." Xplored's AI platform could keep track of miniatures on a table, dice rolls, and even the status of your character sheet, all managed invisibly and remotely by an AI behind the scenes and communicating with the (human) DM.

Dungeon Master​

And then there's the most challenging aspect of play that WOTC struggles with to this day: having enough Dungeon Masters to support a group. Wizards could exclusively license these automated DMs, who would have all the materials necessary to run a game. Some adventures would be easier for an AI DM to run than others -- straightforward dungeon crawls necessarily limit player agency and ensure the AI can run it within parameters, while a social setting could easily confuse it.

Developers are already pushing this model with various levels of success. For an example, see AI Realm.

What's Next?​

If Hasbro's current CEO and former WOTC CEO Chris Cocks is serious about AI, this is just a hint at what's possible. If the past battles over virtual tabletops are any indication, WOTC will likely take a twofold approach: ensure it's AI is well-versed in how it engages with adventures, and defend its branded properties against rival AI platforms that do the same thing. As Cocks pointed out in a recent interview, WOTC's advantage isn't in the technology itself but in its licenses, and it will likely all have a home on D&D Beyond. Get ready!

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I agree what you're going for, but what I am trying to get across is that these tools can be useful for a DM.

Sure, you can spot fake crap, but that isn't the point when I turn around my iPad for my players. Sometimes it's a random piece of art I found on the internet, sometimes it's an image I generated with AI. If WotC created a tool that ethically compensated their artists for this use, I might use it. It really helps for players who need a visual aid to remember characters.
You're extremly naive if you think there will ever be an ethical sourced ai art generator unless this thing gets legislated into oblivion.

Oofta

Legend
Ok - I understand that you do not see any difference in something created by a human, and something created by an unthinking, unfeeling machine. From which I can infer at least a little bit about your view of people if you think these two things have no differences.

Oh noes! Some anonymous person thinks less of me! What ever shall I do? :rolleyes:

I have a player who used a tool to create custom portraits of some of the other player's PCs. I don't think it matters if that tool was a digital paint studio or an AI where he entered prompts. Not that long ago the only way to create an image was with oil and canvas. Tools change, how images are generated changes.

Reynard

Legend
Oh noes! Some anonymous person thinks less of me! What ever shall I do? :rolleyes:

I have a player who used a tool to create custom portraits of some of the other player's PCs. I don't think it matters if that tool was a digital paint studio or an AI where he entered prompts. Not that long ago the only way to create an image was with oil and canvas. Tools change, how images are generated changes.
More importantly, there probably isn't a high likelihood that player would have commissioned those portraits. No one likely lost work because the tool was available, and a few people gained joy because it was.

Ascribing moral qualities to people for their choices regarding AI is just gross.

Oofta

Legend
More importantly, there probably isn't a high likelihood that player would have commissioned those portraits. No one likely lost work because the tool was available, and a few people gained joy because it was.

Ascribing moral qualities to people for their choices regarding AI is just gross.

Good point. No, we would not have paid for it.

There are tools, free tools even, you could use without helping techbros put more real artists out of work. Every use of AI is helping it learn, which equals helping it destroy more lives. It's not a tool, it's a goddamn whip.

Also, here is an idea that will shock you:
You're not entitled to have "good looking" art. The actually good looking art costs money because it takes time and effort to make, so it should cost you to commission it. Or you could, I don't know, LEARN TO DRAW. By just resorting to AI art you're showing peak of AQmerican consumerism - "I want it good, I want it free and I want it NOW!" with no understanding how real life actually works nor respect for effort put into a work.

Quite frankly, something done with AI, no matter how, allegedly, good it looks, is inherently shittier than the worst drawing made by hand. I felt honored whenever I got fanart from my players, I would feel insulted if one gave me AI-generated naughty word.

More importantly, there probably isn't a high likelihood that player would have commissioned those portraits.
You don't know that. He certainly won't now that he can just make a robot make an ugly vomit on page. But you don't know if he wasn't that passionnate about the game to set aside some real money to make a commission. By using AI you have already devaluated not just the art, but the game itself.

OB1

Jedi Master
@talien great write up on your experience. I'm excited for the tools that AI will provide me in making my art (D&D adventures for my group) that help extend my capabilities as a DM to create a richer experience for my players.

I also have little doubt that human's will continue to be essential to the artistic process, and that what we are seeing now is similar to the 'digital black hole' that forever changed the music and movie industries starting in the mid 90s.

As someone who was directly negatively impacted when film prints went digital 14 years ago, I'd just like to say to those fearing the loss of their jobs from the changes that AI will bring should stay positive, that new opportunities will come from the changes, as long as you're willing to adapt.

Oofta

Legend
There are tools, free tools even, you could use without helping techbros put more real artists out of work. Every use of AI is helping it learn, which equals helping it destroy more lives. It's not a tool, it's a goddamn whip.

Also, here is an idea that will shock you:
You're not entitled to have "good looking" art. The actually good looking art costs money because it takes time and effort to make, so it should cost you to commission it. Or you could, I don't know, LEARN TO DRAW. By just resorting to AI art you're showing peak of AQmerican consumerism - "I want it good, I want it free and I want it NOW!" with no understanding how real life actually works nor respect for effort put into a work.

Quite frankly, something done with AI, no matter how, allegedly, good it looks, is inherently shittier than the worst drawing made by hand. I felt honored whenever I got fanart from my players, I would feel insulted if one gave me AI-generated naughty word.

You don't know that. He certainly won't now that he can just make a robot make an ugly vomit on page. But you don't know if he wasn't that passionnate about the game to set aside some real money to make a commission. By using AI you have already devaluated not just the art, but the game itself.

Well, obviously you know all and can tell me that the portraits my friend generated are complete crap. Pretty amazing considering you have no idea what they looked like. For us mere mortal who simply want a good looking picture and are unwilling to pay for a custom portrait we'll just have to muddle along in our mediocrity.

Well, obviously you know all and can tell me that the portraits my friend generated are complete crap. Pretty amazing considering you have no idea what they looked like. For us mere mortal who simply want a good looking picture and are unwilling to pay for a custom portrait we'll just have to muddle along in our mediocrity.
"We want a good looking picture and are unwilling to pay" - Do you see the problem here? Again, you're not entitled to good-lloking pictures, where did you even get this idea?

Oofta

Legend
"We want a good looking picture and are unwilling to pay" - Do you see the problem here? Again, you're not entitled to good-lloking pictures, where did you even get this idea?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not entitled to benefit from modern technology. Appreciate it.

You don't get to decide for me what I value or what I think is a good looking picture. Technology changes and, for example, the farming town I grew up in is slowly dying because of advances in technology. I'd rather adapt and do the best I can to make ethical choices (which obviously differ from what you consider ethical) like everyone else.

OB1

Jedi Master
I can see the same argument being made against the invention of the photographic camera in the 1800s. But there are even more artists today, because a tool is available that allows for a different type of art to be created, that is suited to a different talent set.

People who value hand painted portraits can still purchase those (often for a premium as their perceived value is higher), or someone can hire a professional photographer for a portrait, or they can buy their own camera and take it themselves.

AI is just one more tool for humans to express themselves creatively with. Like any tool, it needs to be regulated by the will of the people to ensure it doesn't directly harm (the IP considerations with LLMs and Image generators are a real harm, but the concerns about the employment of artists are not direct harm, imo) but that doesn't mean the tool itself is worthless.

Remove ads

Remove ads