• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG purchases you use(ed) regularly

ForceUser

Explorer
Well shoot, if we're talking EVER...

D&D 2E and 3E, all "core rules" including 2E Player's Option.

D&D Basic (Red Box set from mid-80s)

Shadowrun, all editions

Star Wars RPG by West End Games

Palladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG

Marvel Super Heroes

Vampire: The Masquerade, both table-top and LARP

Mage: The Ascension

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Shadowrun By default one of THE best cyberpunk/magic games around..sadly i can't get a group to play it :( Although hopefully my DS/Cityscape game MIGHT pick up on it.

D&D Playing since '88 and through all 3 versions. Couldn't be happier

Vampire/Werewolf Played it for a few years, lots of roleplaying therein and the players liked it. I never did DM it although I liked to have.

Battletech Mech fighting to a T, i loved fighting squad based and lances, man that was a blast! New rules, haven't played it, really want to as I heard that the rules were more simplified.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Let's see...

Was introduced to RPGs with Basic/Expert boxed sets... STILL love them...

So... I guess "Boxed Set D&D"

1st Edition

2nd Edition (HATED S&P, though, and at that point officially went to "if you can't find it in the PHB or DMG, it ain't comin' into my campaign not no way not no how")

3rd Edition

Talislanta (didn't like - too little flexibility)

ICE/Rolemaster (a bit - never played but bought lots of books from which to steal ideas)

Marvel Superheroes

Star Frontiers (Alpha Dawn, then Knight Hawks, then Zebulon's Guide)

Palladium

RIFTS

Other Palladium System Games (Robotech, Beyond the Supernatural, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

Toon

Tales from the Floating Vagabond

Star Wars (WEG)

Werewolf/Vampire (played with my - at the time - normal D&D group for a while but trust me, the emphasis with those guys was not storytelling but rather min/maxing)

Grimtooth's Traps Series (okay, not a system, but great books)

Cyberpunk

Shadowrun

Earthdawn

Battletech/Mechwarrior

GURPS (still strikes me as the best way to do a magic system - you have to "build up" to bigger spells by learning smaller ones first)

Space Opera (AFAIK a small, locally-published thingy from the late 70's - found at a local used-bookstore)

I'm sure there is a ton of other stuff I am forgetting, but there's what comes to my mind right off the top of my head. I have at least looked at basically every system that has come out in the last 15 years.

--The Sigil

Uruush

First Post
I usually just lurk, but no one had mentioned the system I began with, and that I've played the most:

TFT

Played and GM'd this for several years, and I'm in an online game now. In 1980, I was in middle school, and dirt 'po'. I could get into AD&D and buy a PHB, or, for the same money I could own 'Advanced Melee,' 'Advanced Wizard,' and 'In The Labyrinth.' Cool Microquests could be had for $2.95 each. Most of the TFT campaigns I was in had a lot of homebrew rules, and were set in Harn. Anyway, thank you Steve Jackson.

Played a lot of other games over the years, but ones that got played heavily for at least a year were:

TFT
Champions
Paranoia
GURPS
Space 1830
Cyberpunk 2020 (GM'd a four year campaign in college - what a blast!)
D&D 3E I just started playing a year ago. Don't get to play often, but it's the first incarnation of D&D I've enjoyed. A big part of that, (as with any game) is the DM and players, but I'm also generally impressed with the ruleset. Having a good time, glad to be here.

Cedric

First Post
I fully expect to have to edit this a few times to includes games I forgot...and keep in mind, these are in NO ORDER AT ALL!

I'll add descriptions as I can...

D&D 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - None of the red box stuff or anything that old. I started with first ed AD&D after Unearthed Arcana had been out for awhile. Good basic combat oriented roleplaying system, 3rd Ed added a much needed skill system (that actually works), but also added too many ways to munchkinize the game.

Mage: The Ascension - For a long time this was my favorite game. The problem is that it's very hard, even in a good group, for the GM and the players to conceptualize the game in the same way. And those differences in perception can make it tough to play (to say the least).

Ars Magica - Haven't gotten to play as much as I would like, but what an awesome background and magic system.

MechWarrior - We joked that it was Battletech where you named your pilot, but in reality if you like the battletech universe it's cool.

Palladium Rifts - The worst fun game system in the world.

Vampire - Along with Dark Ages, Werewolf, Wraith and LARP...with a good group, they are great games.

FUDGE - Fun and Simple

GURPS - Great source material, gurps timeline rules, too lethal

Champions - Simply the best, better then all the rest!

Pendragon - Fun if strange

Paranoia - A riot with the right GM, still fun with the right players, otherwise...bleh

Master Rules - Better then you think it is, now good luck finding it. Also suits itself well to small 2-4 player groups

Amber - Backstab!

Rolemaster - Chartmaster ... still, loads of fun

Tales from the Floating Vagabond - Worth owning just to read the rulebook

Mythos (Dangerous Journey's?) - Umm...complicated, yeah that it. Gary had his thesaurus on hand when he wrote this bad boy...also, good luck being a mage, I hope you roll that 20%.

Deadlands - Fun character creation, good system...never could get "into" it though

Sandman - A quirky little one shot played by candlelight, I can only remember the name at this point.

Feng Shui - Hong Kong Action Theatre Roleplaying at it's best.

...more to come later, as I remember them

In Nomine - heh, I was just shocked when it actually released.

Shadowrun - Fun stuff, suprisingly good for a post modern, spy/intrigue game system too, just lose magic and fantasy elements, tone down the tech level a tad.

Cyberpunk - Deadly!

7th Sea - Interesting Magic Systems...just couldn't get into it though.

Cedric

Last edited:

runic

First Post
D&D basic, 1st ,2nd, and 3rd-
Liked them all, been playing for over 20 years on aoff. 3rd edition the best so far, like most of it and reminds somewhat of rolemaster stuff. Love it though.

Shadowrun 2nd, 3rd-
played some currently looking for players. Love the setting, even though calculating can be cumbersome.

RoleMaster
- My all time favorite, very few players willing to play it though, currently my world is still in Rm stats.Love the skills and comabt charts.

Lejendary Adventure-
Curretnly playing in betwenn d&d sessions. Cool, fast, rules lite and deadly(in my opinion).Just the opposite of rolemaster but still cool.

others
Traveller(various)
vampire (w/mummy supplement)
Runequest
Rifts(fun bad rules)
Harn(okay not my cup of tea)
Palladiam Fantasy(Yuck)
Champions(various) Cool alot calulating

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Games I played and liked (yes, I've never played a game I didn't like at least a little bit):

- D&D Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal boxed sets, then the handy D&D Rules Cyclopedia. - Started when I was 12, then moved on to the harder stuff. :)
- AD&D 2nd edition - Ran more campaigns than I remember. Loved it at first, got tired of it around 95 or so.
- D&D 3E - What can I say, I love it. Hoping for a 3.1 version soon though. The flaws of the system bug me like warts on a good looking girl.
- Star Frontiers, Alpha Dawn, then Knight Hawks. I loved the simplicity of having only four main races in a SF setting. Yazirians rule.
- Top Secret/SI - The only thing I didn't like about this game is that you anticipated being James Bond and usually got blown away by some lucky die roll from a lackey. But it was fun anyway, for some reason.
- Gamma World - Spent more time making up dozens of wacky characters than playing the game.
- Chill - I liked the campy flavor of it.
- Call of Cthulu, original. Fun to run.
- Paranoia - Any game with tactical nuclear grenades that have a range of 50m and an area effect of 2km is a good thing.
- Toon - I'll never forget the time I got into a "Yes!", "No!" arguement with another player for a full five minutes (while everyone else drank and laughed at us hysterically) then finally tricked him.
- Tunnels and Trolls - This thing was good munchkin fun. TTYF.
- Vampire - Ran this once. Good, dirty fun. The scenario was that everyone played themselves, and I turned them into vamps. They had to find and destroy me in downtown San Bernardino while dealing with their vampirism.
- Torg - The rules took me a full 6 months to figure out (and I had to read the 3 novels to figure out the campaign setting!), but what an outstanding game and campaign setting. I ran two very successful campaigns, and had more fun than I can remember. This game was ahead of its time (and probably too ambitious).

edit - how could I forget:
Marvel Super Heroes - This is an example of how rules can fully support a genre. Loved to play it.

Another Edit: Cut out the ones I bought and didn't play, forgot the subject of the thread. :)

There were probably others. (and of course there were, I've edited this thing a bunch..) My mother got rid of a lot of my stuff when I was young, :( and I had to sell much more of it quite simply to survive.... (cue the violins...) I'm something of a completist, and have a compulsion to buy everything in a system, so we're talking about a lot of stuff. Luckily, I cured myself of this before the OGL and the d20 license....

Last edited:

LcKedovan

Explorer
HellHound said:
LcKedovan mentioned Car Wars.

I forgot about that, which is strange. I was just at a duel Saturday night.

LOL! ;) All my original small box and Car Wars Deluxe stuff is still back in Ontario. I was home getting married this summer at my parents place and I kept longingly gazing at the counters... man... I miss that game :) Mind you I didn't mention the original OGRE or GEV either...

Did you ever play the Computer Version of Car Wars in the late 80s or so? That game rocked!!

-Will

Holy Bovine

First Post
Matthew Gagan said:
I usually just lurk, but no one had mentioned the system I began with, and that I've played the most:

TFT

Played and GM'd this for several years, and I'm in an online game now. In 1980, I was in middle school, and dirt 'po'. I could get into AD&D and buy a PHB, or, for the same money I could own 'Advanced Melee,' 'Advanced Wizard,' and 'In The Labyrinth.' Cool Microquests could be had for $2.95 each. Most of the TFT campaigns I was in had a lot of homebrew rules, and were set in Harn. Anyway, thank you Steve Jackson.

I'll probably kick myself when i hear the answer but what does TFT stanf for? I feel like I should know it but can't!

Remove ads