• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGs: Would you prefer a textbook or periodical model?

In which of these formats would you buy an RPG?

• RPG in print with no advertising ($40-60)

Votes: 97 46.2%
  • RPG in print with advertising ($15-$40)

Votes: 61 29.0%
  • RPG in pdf with no advertising ($15-$40)

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • RPG in pdf with advertising ($7-15)

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • I don't care about the format just don't give me advertising.

Votes: 55 26.2%
  • I don't care about the format and advertising is ok if it reduces the cost.

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I don't care as long as I can get the RPG if I want it.

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 5.7%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For adventures, and some types of supplemental material, I don't mind a periodical format.

However, for core rulebooks, I think it'd be a bust. Mostly because advertising is ephemeral - it deals with the things available right now, because a large part of most product sales are made within the first few months after release. But my core rulebooks are supposed to last me many years. The ads in the book when I buy it will quickly become irrelevant, and thus an annoyance to me as I use the book three years down the line.

Starglim

Explorer
I'd have to say, neither of the above.

The price ranges that you quote for the current standard are unreasonable and I seldom buy from the vendors who currently charge at that level.

For the advertising-based alternative, I would skip over the ads and look at the remaining quota of RPG material and the quality of ideas that had been put into the game material, rather than the ads - and I'd expect it to suffer on both counts, so I would be less likely to consider that product.

I'd prefer core books and supplements to be in print form with no advertisements. If it's a core rulebook, I'll be using it regularly and I don't want ads to get in the way.

I don't mind seeing adventures in magazine style format with or without ads.

If a book was in PDF form I wouldn't mind not having ads so much either as it is easier to ignore them. Plus if I print the book out then I can just leave the ads out anyway.

If it ultimately came down to a choice between ad and an RPG or no ads and no RPG then I would put up with the ads.

Olaf the Stout

Weylan

First Post
Ranger REG said:
You are referring to core rulebooks, right?

You CAN offer RPG in magazine style, but some consider it to be less appealing, like putting a motion picture on 8mm films instead of a DVD.

The Adventure Path in Dungeon (as well as mini-settings in Polyhedron) can be considered RPG but it is missing their own core rulebook. They all requires a WotC core game book (D&D or d20 Modern core rulebooks).

Yes, I was referring to core rulebooks. Folks here and on the RPGnet made the excellent point about the ads quickly becoming irrelevant, so I'm quite willing to cede the point for core rulebooks though I did mention over there that the idea of perforated, removable advertising might be interesting.

Yeah, I really liked the Polyhedron mini-settings but they really only work because they're built on that pre-existing system.

Weylan

First Post
the shmoopie said:
IMHO, I want to buy Core Rule Books hardbound, no adds, straight and concise. Everything else, be it a Complete book, a Fiend Folio, whatever I don't care, as long as all of the game related content is in the same place. My wife has her fashion magazines like that, front and back loaded with adds, but none/almost no adds in the middle, she just bookmarks where the magazines content starts. I would be willing to do someting like that to not have to pay $30+ dollars for an expansion.
But again that is my opinion, and I really don't have the cash to buy half of what I want, so any kind of price break is appealing to me.

Well, the problem I see with putting all of the advertising in its own section is exactly what you consider a feature: it can be easily ignored. Why would companies pay for advertising that you aren't going to look at? I mean, it might work initially but if the advertising brings them no sales it's unlikely to work for long.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Weylan said:
Yes, I was referring to core rulebooks. Folks here and on the RPGnet made the excellent point about the ads quickly becoming irrelevant, so I'm quite willing to cede the point for core rulebooks though I did mention over there that the idea of perforated, removable advertising might be interesting.

Yeah, I really liked the Polyhedron mini-settings but they really only work because they're built on that pre-existing system.
Now, I am beginning to question the existence of the above poll.

What or who prompted you to think that a magazine-formatted RPG core rules is preferable?

Weylan

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Now, I am beginning to question the existence of the above poll.

What or who prompted you to think that a magazine-formatted RPG core rules is preferable?

Your not sure that the poll exists? But it's right up there at the top! :D

Seriously, though, no person or thing prompted me to think that a magazine-format RPG would be preferable, whether for core rules or supplements.

I mean, I thought it was an interesting idea (and one that I hadn't seen done with core rules) but so far the overwhelming response here and on RPGnet both has indicated that it wouldn't be preferable.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Hmm - I voted none of the above because the format depends upon the content.

Let's use the d20 rules for argument's sake...

1. I want ONE big book for the rules that the players can use, all-encompassing. None of this "splat book" mentality. There are entirely way too many feats that either are over-powered, niche, or do the same thing as each other. There are way too many flakey prestige classes, uber-magic items, and unbalancing spells.

2. For the GM/DM, either the ONE big book can contain GM-specific stuff too, or I'd be willing to have a 2nd big book for him.

3. I don't want any Monster Manual type books beyone ONE big book.

So far, this models the 3 core books...

4. Campaign settings: ONE boxed set or thick hardcover with both paper and downloadable scaleable maps. NO rules should be contained in this book. ONLY text describing the world and its inhabitants.

5. Adventures: While I'm a module-hound, I also like the Dungeon Magazine model as well. All I ask is that *each* and *every* adventure provide concrete, solid information on placement in the official campaign worlds for the game. Downloadable scaelable maps should be available.

One thing I really disliked about Expedition to Ravenloft is that all of the cool new encounter format maps were only available in the hardcover. You've (yeah, you, Mr. Publisher) *got* to have the maps available in electronic format to begin with - make them available to those that buy the adventure. The maps were cool-looking but I would've liked to slap them down on the game table during combat. If I want them in cardboard, I'll buy them from you. Otherwise, lemme print them out on paper.

6. Finally - for God's sake - DON'T republish stuff in multiple books. If something needs errata - post the errata. I don't want another "Nybor's Gentle Reminder" debacle where the spell was published at least 3 times in 3 different books, each time changing something from the last.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Weylan said:
As I see it, we're just starting to see RPGs hit their stride in the textbook-style but we haven't really seen a magazine-style RPG.

I would think the reason you haven't seen that is that RPG books don't have the distribution nessesary for advertising to offset the cost. Someone from the industry would know better, though.

Remove ads