• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPTools Online Tabletop Games..your experiences?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Right then, a day later, and much calmer although-

Now when I go into it and load up my campaign, the same one that was working fine yesterday (on my machine) I get-

Error
Could not load campaign: com.caucho.hessian.io.HessianProtocolException: unknown code (followed by a square)

I'm using XP, as are all of my players, they're all using the same version of RPTools, one of them has the program downloaded (zip) and is booting from a desktop short cut to there... and that's about it.

As my brother (one of the players) said last night, after he still couldn't get in (98% downloaded only), "we only have three months to wait for 4E and on-line play."

Just to complete the circle my brother is the head of an IT Department, one of the other players is an IT Support Officer and another is a Web Site Controller/Designer, my point being we tried lots of things, we didn't just turn it on and off again (actually we did at first). I really want this to work not least because I've already mapped and populated four levels of Goodman Games DCC 51 Castle Whiterock, and they're lovely to behold (in my eyes).

Do you suggest I clear everything out, reload, install and try again?

trevorscroft

First Post
In the mean time, it looks like you are using 1.2 ? If so, you might move up to the development 1.3b24 version, the save files are not compatible, but the 1.3 file format is much more flexible and can be recovered if an error occurs.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Goonalan said:
Error
Could not load campaign: com.caucho.hessian.io.HessianProtocolException: unknown code (followed by a square)
This is usually a version mismatch, but you said you had already checked that. Hmm.

There was another problem in which some network cards had firmware to calculate packet checksums and that was failing for some reason. Going into the driver for the network card and turning off the checksums (so that they had to be done in software) fixed the problem. You might try that; you can always change it back.

Also, you can run a server and a client on the same machine. This helps determine if the network is a problem or not.

DonTadow

First Post
I get a majority of hte things i put into rptools from dundjinni. I suggest buying a copy of that program as well to make more prepared maps. Then hopping on their forum. You can find just about everything you need from there. Make sure to say thanks before using any of the artwork though. Those guys do an amazing job for the community over there.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Agreed. Dundjinni has a lot of free regular stuff for download too. I use a lot of their stuff. I havent' purchased their product yet. I think as I do more RPTooling/Maptooling I probably will.

jh

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for all the help people, I'll take a snoop around Dunndjinni, we went back on-line last night, I booted out all the old RPTools stuff, downloaded it all afresh, as did the players and set it rolling- what d'you know all went in first time, it took a while mind, approx 10 minutes for one of the players, raced to 98% then sat there for ages.

We're playing the maps I've already done and then swapping over to the development version, which I hope will be an improvement, not that the in-game is anything other than excellent, it's just proved difficult to get in.

Once again I really appreciate the help, if you were in my neck of the woods I'd buy you all a pint.

I'll report back on Friday night's game.

Thanks.

DonTadow

First Post
Goonalan said:
Thanks for all the help people, I'll take a snoop around Dunndjinni, we went back on-line last night, I booted out all the old RPTools stuff, downloaded it all afresh, as did the players and set it rolling- what d'you know all went in first time, it took a while mind, approx 10 minutes for one of the players, raced to 98% then sat there for ages.

We're playing the maps I've already done and then swapping over to the development version, which I hope will be an improvement, not that the in-game is anything other than excellent, it's just proved difficult to get in.

Once again I really appreciate the help, if you were in my neck of the woods I'd buy you all a pint.

I'll report back on Friday night's game.

Thanks.
Another thing I do, and I do more often than using maps from dundjinni, is the 0ones products at rpgnow. They have some amazing artwork. Their dungeon line has PDFs that contain about 15 rooms a piece, very different, very detailed. I then extract the images from the PDF using adobe, and then resize them to a smaller size using the basic image resizer that comes with windows xp. 0Ones also has 2 hallway products as well.

To use them you just drag them in the background.
This allows me to create maps on the fly and save the really elaborate dundjinni dungeons for something special.

trevorscroft

First Post
Goonalan said:
it took a while mind, approx 10 minutes for one of the players, raced to 98% then sat there for ages.

In the 1.3 dev version I've added a Transfer Progress dialog to help diagnose these long wait times. You might boot it up and see if perhaps one of the large map files is transferring.

Feel free to grab me online anytime to help debug stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads