• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for character cost of social status?

the_redbeard

Explorer
Does anyone know of a published (or web available) set of rules for character "upkeep"?

I'm looking for rules that would set a gp cost for the social status that the characters wish to maintain. A ranger might not care at all, a paladin may have a reputation to maintain, a rogue may wish to appear something she is not, another character may wish to move in certain social circles for political reasons. Differing living conditions might be necessary for healing, arcane study, etc.

Anyone have some recommendations? Preferably, something not _too_ crunchy. A guide line of costs and in game effects from those costs. As DM, I'd still expect to create different options for characters to choose (ie, the Merchants Rest would cost XX gp/week and be suitable for social status of YY, social status YY also requires ZZ gp/month for clothes and miscellany, the Hole in the Wall Tavern has a bunk room that costs X gp but is only suitable for low social status, etc.)

Guildlines for how this effects your Diplomacy with others of different social status and a DC for bluffing your way into different social status would be awesome.

Thanks for help - house rules or published settings, suitable hand waving, etc., all appreciated.

Ptolus and Bard's Gate {Necromancer games} both have character upkeep.. unfortunately I can't find where I got the freebie downloads from..nad neither of the PDFs have a web site attached :(

Of the two, Bard's Gate goes into much more detail regarding the interaction with diplomancy but has lots of tables...

Ptolus, OTOH, has a simple monthly upkeep and leaves the social stigma to the GM.

Nyeshet

First Post
I can't think of any off hand.

Part of the problem with creating such is that they would have to apply to all the NPC nobles, etc as well - and most of them, by the RaW, barely have enough wealth to buy a backpack.

Indeed, if you want I would suggest something akin to having to buy noble clothing (or whatever it is called in the PHB) before any formal situation, to reflect the cost of fixing / replacing / buying the garb, etc expected of them - but even this would only be for the PCs that actually have titles. In the middle ages most such individuals would have had wealth from lands to cover such. (Indeed, in the middle ages the main source of any wealth was lands. Those without lands typically fought in tourneys. Those they defeated typically had to give up their armor, horse, or even themselves to the victor, who then had the right to ransom them: forcing the loser [or his lands / family] to pay for the recovery of the armor, horse, loser, etc.)

There are no rules for armor getting rusty and needing cleaning, nor rules for clothes getting messy. Just recall, even if they do get dirty from the road, etc, a single Prestidigitation (a 0 level spell) will clean them. If they get torn then another 0 level spell (mending) will repair them. If the character is high enough level to have taken Leadership, a single first level wizard or cleric would be enough to keep him presentable at any given time for any situation.

As for keeping in fashion, etc, the Paladin is not expected to follow such foppery. He is, however, expected to tithe part of any treasure he takes to his religion. No other character has that requirement (although arguably the cleric should as well). And, as suggested earlier, having them buy a 'Noble Outfit' or whatever it is called each time he is about to be in a formal situation (or - for the more foppish - whenever he enters a new city) would easily cover this. But after about level 4 or 5 it will be more of a minor nuisance than a true cost, due to the wealth levels as a PC increases.

nittanytbone

First Post
UA Links to the Rescue!

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterBackground.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/contacts.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/reputation.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/honor.htm

Honor seems best. It gives social bonuses/penalties based on actions. "High expense" lifestyle options such as giving gifts to NPCs, charity, acquiring property, making masterwork items, etc. all earn honor points.

Also, you could price things based off of other goods.

A "Masterwork Diplomacy-Doohicky" could cost 50 GP and give +2 equipment bonuses to dealing with a particular group. Perhaps it is a series of bribes, having just the right clothes to impress, whatever.

Other one-shot skill booster items could be priced similar to things like the Elixir of Hiding. A +10 competence bonus to Diplomacy checks for one hour with that gate guard might cost 250 GP in bribes.

Pagan priest

First Post
For quite some time now I have been tinkering on a set of rules for just that. Basically, one of the players wanted to run a game centering around nobility and intrigue. i started with the old 2nd ed book A Mighty Fortress, which has a 3 -18 range for social status, along with a monthly upkeep cost. I have expanded it out to relect the more open ended nature of 3rd ed.

From there, have been working on a set of 6 stats useful or an intrigue type game like: social status, influence, and wealth (both starting and monthly income). These will be a point buy system just like the standard stats.

The costs associated with each level are based on the economy of my home grown campaign world, though... probably not much help to you.

DreadArchon

First Post
Pagan priest said:
From there, have been working on a set of 6 stats useful or an intrigue type game like: social status, influence, and wealth (both starting and monthly income). These will be a point buy system just like the standard stats.
Oooooh, I approve. And may have to swipe.

Remove ads