• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for Insanity?

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Anyone got suggestions for insanity rules? Thinking of running a horror themed campaign that might benefit from them. I suppose the players could do wisdom checks or will checks, take a point when they fail, and have various maladies associated with different levels of points or something. Points would be cumulative on a short-term basis, but wear off over time. Maybe the check's more difficult at night, when the moon's full, in a dungeon or confined space, or when friends are hurt or dead.

Any ideas or systems already out there?

Nur-ab-sal

First Post
Off the top of my head I would think something similar to disease tracks, with Will or Wisdom or an appropriate skill replacing Endurance, would be a good place to start.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Thanks. I checked out those disease tracks and may incorporate that mechanic. We're having a mostly low magic, human campaign. I want interactions ith monsters and magic to have added gravitas and long-term effects. I want to avoid, "oh, another 9 headed, undead demon spawn hydra. big deal."

Incidentally, I must be the only DM sadistic enough to desire rules for insanity, heh. 42 views, 1 response! I suppose this sort of interest is why such rules weren't included to begin with. The players face enough challenges as it is, I suppose.

Nur-ab-sal

First Post
I would guess that a lot of people would be interested in mechanics for it, but aren't interested enough to go to the work of coming up with ideas for it themselves. ;)

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Shouldn't take too much effort to design a simple system. I'm not interested in building "Freud, the RPG," just adding some flavorful, if temporary, eccentricities and phobias for characters who've come into contact with bizzare or terrifying beasts. Seemed smarter to check the Great ENWorld before potentially reinventing the wheel, that's all.

Triangleman27

First Post
FYI: Some monsters and attack powers inflict 'Psychic Damage' that deducts from your usual Hit Points.
Something to consider before you convert the CoC sanity rules.

Remove ads