• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

rules for ship-to-ship combat and PC's as crew

Aus_Snow

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
One of the biggest problems with air combat in D&D is that all the available rules return to facing. D&D on the ground does not have this.
It did when I was running it, gosh darn it. :]

:D

GlassJaw said:
Also, are there products with rules that handle PC responsbilities if they are acting as crew or on a ship during combat?
I'm also interested in these questions, particularly the one quoted. How many of these ship-to-ship combat rules handle the entire party being involved? I know I'm looking for something that won't leave players bored while the captain does all the work.

I have some ideas with boarding parties, quick repairs to damaged sections, rescuing fallen crew members, etc. but am definitely looking for more concrete ideas.

Edheldur

First Post
kenmarable said:
I'm also interested in these questions, particularly the one quoted. How many of these ship-to-ship combat rules handle the entire party being involved? I know I'm looking for something that won't leave players bored while the captain does all the work.
In Aerial Adventure Guide, there's a designated captain that chooses the ship's action, and half the minimum crew size of a ship must tend to it just to keep it moving, while the rest may do something else (fight, operate ship's weapons, heal someone, sing a song...). When the captain chooses to use evasive maneuvers, the entire crew must tend to the ship. Basically, that's it.

I might also be tempted to run vehicle vs vehicle combats using the rules from "Hot Pursuit" since it already covers collisions between vehicles and actions for the passengers/crew.

Remove ads