D&D General Rules from other systems to use in D&D

Paul Smart

Explorer
Hello everyone.

With the announcement of D&D One, let us talk about improving the rule system for D&D. I am curious, Are there any rules from other systems that you think should be implemented in the new version? For me, there are two.

Having played many games over more than 40 years, I believe the Shadowrun character creation system is the best system yet invented. If you want to start rich, make that your top priority; skilled put that at the top of your list. I love the flexibility of this system; it allows you to generate precisely the character you want. Unfortunately, without a total redesign of the underlying system, it is impossible to get this granularity level in D&D character creation. However, we can get close using a power level system.

If you want a game with more powerful characters, use the high power stat array, a classic game, no change; for a low-powered game, use the lower power stat array.

High-powered array - 18, 17, 16, 14,14,12
Low-powered array - 12, 11, 10, 8, 8, 6.

The same can be done for feats, wealth etc.

Another system I would like to bring over is the success chance system from the new GI Joe RPG. Instead of advantages and disadvantages, a floating die is used. You have the high ground, which gives you an edge; move up one die size. On the other hand, you are firing through the fog, a disadvantage; move down a die size. I find this system elegant and would love to see something like it in the new version of D&D.

What does everyone think?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've used a Standard Array for stats in my games for over 20 years now, so I clearly like that idea.

A rule I love/use comes from Dungeon Crawl Classics. In DCC experience points are awarded for surviving encounters. It incentivizes thinking outside the box and keeps encounters from all being fights to the deaths.

Last edited:

Remove ads