Rules Light Modern RPG

A follow up. The newest version of BRP was released this month as well. It’s the same system behind Call or Cthulhu and Runequest in addition to other games. I’d probably describe it as rules medium, but it is a solid generic system to power modern games as well as other eras.

Also open D6/mini D6/D6 dice pools are pretty easy to deal with as well and might be worth a try.

R_J_K75

Legend
After reviewing all the suggestions, I decided to try the free quickstart of Modern AGE from Green Ronin. I decided on this for two reasons, I can try it for free and its strictly a Modern game like I was looking for. Thanks for all the feedback.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I Kickstarted Everyday Heroes, the book is very nice and I'm sure that its a great game. Seeing the KS was probably over a year ago, since then we've decided to get away from the 5E/d20 system. Its just more complex than our group is after nowadays. I'm of the mind now, let the players roleplay their characters, use their brains and come up with clever ways to overcome obstacles and not automatically look to there character sheets for every answer. Give me just enough rules I need and I can interpret the rest as I see fit and keep the game moving.
I get you, I have kind of the same philosophy.

aramis erak

Legend
A number of Traveller Refs use CT, TNE, or Mongoose Traveller for moderns, just by ignoring the ships and all the post TL8 tech.

Note that for all the bulk, Twilight:2000 mechanics in play are very light; character gen is rather process heavy. Dark Conspiracy 1e is the same mechanics, and TTNE adds a lot for higher tech... but all three are interoperable.

T2K 4E is also medium-light, but is Year Zero Engine, and in play is really smooth.

Blade Runner is a lighter version of the T2K 4e flavor of Year Zero. Just drop the flying cars, replicants, and it can do modern pretty well.

Remove ads