• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Rumor: OGL will not be supported starting with One D&D

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I explained to a player once that TSR killed D&D during the lifetime of 2E and WotC buried it.

Apparently now WotC wants to dig it up and have it cremated instead. 🤷‍♂️
D&D is more popular than ever, by at least one order of magnitude. It's not dead. It's thriving.
They pretty much closed things off during 4E, and I don't see that worked to their benefit. If they rope 5E off from 3rd party, that's just pure stupid greed on their part and it will hurt them more than anything else.
Either the 2024 version is backwards compatible and the current OGL/SRD is valid or it's not.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Unless they radically alter the core terminology and make it non-compatible with the existing game, I can’t see how this makes a difference. All the core terminology is open and has been for 20 years. Horse, barn door, and all that.

(I guess it might affect people who want to reproduce the core rulebooks in another format, but not 3PPs who want to make compatible material).

I’m not worried.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Roll20 support will pretty much determine how much/little of the new edition* I buy. I'm not sure if that counts as "third party" or not, but I'm sure it's in the same ballpark.

*don't call it a new edition. It's totally not a new edition, wink wink.

Remove ads