Rumour that Disney will have to sell Lucas Film and some parks to pay for Hulu

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, that's not quite true from what I understand. This is what I wrote-

3. While Comcast would like to get Hulu (Comcast also owns Peacock), for various reasons that is very unlikely and it is much more likely that Disney will buy out Comcast.

You know, the difference of opinion of what "would like to get" means is not worth arguing over.

On this.

Don't believe internet clickbait. PLEASE. I'll give you a quick example from your OP-

So here's what we know.

1. Disney owns 2/3 of Hulu. Comcast owns the other third.

2. That situation is untenable. In January, 2024, both sides have the option to force the sale.

3. While Comcast would like to get Hulu (Comcast also owns Peacock), for various reasons that is very unlikely and it is much more likely that Disney will buy out Comcast.

4. However, because of Disney's acquisition of Fox ($71.3 billion, 2017), as well as taking out loans during the pandemic, Disney has more debt right now than they would like.

5. In 2019, the guarantee Disney gave to Comcast was ~$9 billion for their portion.

6. Disney's long-term debt last quarter was $48.5 billion (net debt is considerably less), which is substantially less year-over-year. About $ 6 billion less.

7. The debt is 3.4 times EBITDA, which is a little higher than they want. but fine for the industry.

Just from that, we can quickly surmise that they could finance the purchase if they wanted to. However, they might want to unload some underperforming assets. Which ones? Maybe none. But some of the speculation is just wrong. For example, the international parks are not wholly owned by Disney, but are all joint ventures with partners; there would be obvious issues with Disney exiting from the ... Disney business. So that's a no-go, and anyone suggesting that as likely is just trying to accumulate traffic without any analysis.

Fundamentally, that's the issue. The best performing part of Disney is the Parks (including Cruises) right now. Quite literally, they can't afford to get rid of those. On the other hand, it makes no sense to divest themselves of content creation in order to add Hulu to Disney+, given that they will need ... content. They also want the content for ... the Parks! So Lucasfilms and Fox also seem incredibly unlikely. Not to mention that would be undoing two of the biggest wins in Iger's legacy.

What's it going to be? Who knows. Maybe debt. Maybe ESPN and ABC? I would wait for something sourced from a reliable report- the rest will just be noise.

Lucasfilm is not a win for Igor, even a Star Wars none fan like me knows that.

Zardnaar

Legend
Only thing I've seen is a YouTube thumbnail from usual suspects so didn't click on it.
It's possible Disney hasn't made money on Star Wars. They only get around half the box office so 4 billion paid plus oroduction costs of the movies.

They're losing money on streaming. They lost money on galactic Star Cruiser.

That leaves them park attractions, merchandise (books, toys, comics etc) and games. Seems unlikely they have made billions on that.

I find it very unlikely George will buy I back. Not impossible they'll sell it but I doubt it he's the one buying it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It decreases it because now the biggest entertainment company owns a huge part of its rival.
No, it increases competition, because it allows Comcast to disentangle and reinvest in their own platform. No way this would be stopped by regulators, pure fantasy land wishful thinking on some Internet click batters part.

Only thing I've seen is a YouTube thumbnail from usual suspects so didn't click on it.
It's possible Disney hasn't made money on Star Wars. They only get around half the box office so 4 billion paid plus oroduction costs of the movies.

They're losing money on streaming. They lost money on galactic Star Cruiser.

That leaves them park attractions, merchandise (books, toys, comics etc) and games. Seems unlikely they have made billions on that.

I find it very unlikely George will buy I back. Not impossible they'll sell it but I doubt it he's the one buying it.

They may have made some money on the old Star Wars merch at first and Baby Yoda, but merch tied to other Disney Star Wars characters and their gear hasn't done well at all.

George Lucas HATES what Disney did with Star Wars, he compared them to White Slavers. They wrecked pretty much everything he made at Lucasfilm.

Indy is on track to lose massive amounts of money, its audience score among top critics is 40% at RT, all critics 51%, the reviews are nightmare fuel. They had to stop making Star Wars movies because they started at making 2 billion dollars and end up on a downward spiral to losing money on Solo. Weather that is normal for Star Wars or not, it looks horrible to investors. It has a massively divided fan base, and unlike Star Trek that rift isn't healing its growing wider. The streaming shows have been massively hemeraging audience, even the Mandolarian.

The Galaxy Hotel was a disaster.

Willow didn't just get cancelled, it got pulled after 6 months. So yeah George Lucas is likely pissed and perhaps with rich partners he will buy Star Wars back, he is a multibillionaire with connections to other rich folks. I mean Disney literally destroyed the man's entire legacy, they even killed off most of his most iconic characters, Luke, Leia, and Solo.

All this while other parts of Disney are imploding, no one will watch Pirates without Johnny Depp, Marvel is starting to spiral downwards mostly and taking the Superhero genre down with it, folks are sick of increasingly poorly done live action remakes of Disney classics and they are running out of run way for it anyways, Pixar is dropping duece after deuce with Elemental likely tanking as well.

The only studio largely uneffected at Disney is Fox Studios with Avatar movie making billions, Orville very popular, and a possible Serenity/Firefly revival series coming.

You add the none optional Hulu deal and Disney may be very inclined to sell Lucasfilm to George Lucas, it'd be less embarrassing then selling it to a large rival.

Also Star Wars is about to be under more competition then ever before.

Also its fandom is aging out very quickly compared to other fandoms in the sci fi sphere.

No, it increases competition, because it allows Comcast to disentangle and reinvest in their own platform. No way this would be stopped by regulators, pure fantasy land wishful thinking on some Internet click batters part.

No, what the US government would object to is Comcast owning so much of Disney, it'd give them too much power over a rival, they won't object to Disney buying Hulu, its Comcast having a huge stake in Disney. Disney needs to spend cold hard cash on this deal.

Remove ads