• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rumour that Disney will have to sell Lucas Film and some parks to pay for Hulu

MGibster

Legend
PS: I love the Star Wars Holiday Special. I mean, it's terrible, but I love it.
I tried watching it armed with the foreknowledge that it was mind numbingly bad and I still couldn't finish it. I can enjoy watching a bad movie like Battlefield Earth or Hell Comes to Frog Town, but the Holiday Special isn't even fun to watch in a it's-so-bad-its-good kind of way. It's just an awful experience all around.

Prequels were rough but coherent and they landed the ending.
Bingo. The sequel series was an incoherent mess. The Last Jedi was so bad that for the first time ever I refused to see a Star Wars movie in the theater when Rise of the Skywalker came out.

Respectfully, strongly disagree. The third sequel is about as bad as the best of the prequels. Force Awakens is super fun, and The Last Jedi was fantastic (consider the reviews on both); the only problem there was they didn't stick with that direction and used the third film to try to please the unappeasable, toxic but loud minority of their fan base. The same ones who create ridiculous rumours like the OP cited.

And Andor was the best Star Wars thing since Empire. Fight me!

PS: I love the Star Wars Holiday Special. I mean, it's terrible, but I love it.

I've heard Andor is very Star Trek like by Star Wars standards, is that true?

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Last Jedi was better than Return of the Jedi, or any of the prequels.
Man! This is like hearing someone tell me about the comedy genius of Tom Green. But almost everything about that movie was awful from the pacing to the character development. The only nice thing I can say about it is the special effects were great and the actors were fine.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Man! This is like hearing someone tell me about the comedy genius of Tom Green. But almost everything about that movie was awful from the pacing to the character development. The only nice thing I can say about it is the special effects were great and the actors were fine.
It's actually a pretty decent movie, but my statement may say more about Return of the Jedi and the prequels than Last Jedi.

I watched the original Star Wars straight through with my kids a couple years ago, and...RotJ is just obviously a huge jumping of the shark for the series without my childhood goggles on (I have also been informed in sassy terms that Star Wars, full stop, is "boring, daddy").

Disney didn't "destroy Luchas legacy," he's been working overtime on that since the 80's.

the Jester

Legend
Even Rise of the Skywalkers was only as bad as attack of the Clones
I disagree so hard on this. I think AotC is largely pretty good, excepting the awful forced romance. And I think Rise of Skywalker is as bad as a whole movie that was just 10 hours of recycled clips of Jar Jar from tPM would be. In fact, the only Star Wars media I have ever seen that I would rate lower is the Holiday Special, and I'd have to rewatch it to be sure that it deserves that lower rating.

Different tastes and all that, I guess.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree so hard on this. I think AotC is largely pretty good, excepting the awful forced romance. And I think Rise of Skywalker is as bad as a whole movie that was just 10 hours of recycled clips of Jar Jar from tPM would be. In fact, the only Star Wars media I have ever seen that I would rate lower is the Holiday Special, and I'd have to rewatch it to be sure that it deserves that lower rating.

Different tastes and all that, I guess.
I actually hate and deapise Rise of Skywalker, as well...I just have similar disguist for Attack of the Clones.

My emotions on Star Wars are Hella weird, considering how much love I have for the franchise, but I despise most of the movies.

Clint_L

Hero
The Last Jedi actually had the guts to try to expand the Star Wars universe past a simple fable of a magical family and to present the possibility of a universe with other stories to tell. An idea that Andor has built upon. It is the only Star Wars film since Empire that had fresh ideas and moments that were not entirely predictable. I think this is why a certain, vocal segment of the fan base hates it: that group are inherently reactionary and just want Star Wars to keep going back to the same comfortable narrative. (You can dislike it for other reasons, but here I am referring to crowd that likes to review bomb films, etc.). Note that critics loved The Last Jedi, and I think they were right.

I've heard Andor is very Star Trek like by Star Wars standards, is that true?

Star Trek should be so lucky, since nothing in Star Trek has ever had writing remotely at that level. Star Trek is basically formula with sometimes exceptional casting, and I say that as a moderate fan (enough of a fan that I have watched and mostly enjoyed every series). However, I get the comparison in that Andor is the first Star Wars property to actually make the Galactic Empire feel like a real, functional setting, the home of actual people, akin to but much more believable than the Federation of Planets.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Last Jedi actually had the guts to try to expand the Star Wars universe past a simple fable of a magical family and to present the possibility of a universe with other stories to tell. An idea that Andor has built upon. It is the only Star Wars film since Empire that had fresh ideas and moments that were not entirely predictable. I think this is why a certain, vocal segment of the fan base hates it: that group are inherently reactionary and just want Star Wars to keep going back to the same comfortable narrative. (You can dislike it for other reasons, but here I am referring to crowd that likes to review bomb films, etc.). Note that critics loved The Last Jedi, and I think they were right.

Star Trek should be so lucky, since nothing in Star Trek has ever had writing remotely at that level. Star Trek is basically formula with sometimes exceptional casting, and I say that as a moderate fan (enough of a fan that I have watched and mostly enjoyed every series). However, I get the comparison in that Andor is the first Star Wars property to actually make the Galactic Empire feel like a real, functional setting, the home of actual people, akin to but much more believable than the Federation of Planets.
The Metacritic ranking of Star Wars movies is pretty accurate in my book, except for overeating Revenge of the Sith considerably. And Last Jedi was very, very well received.

Remove ads