• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Runepriest multiclass

tobiasosir

First Post
I seem to remember seeing this come up before, so please forgive my asking it again, but I couldn't find the original thread...

I understand that when one hybrids with Runepriest, you do get Runic Artistry (selection between wrathful hammer an defiant word), but Rune Master (extra benefit while in a rune state) costs a feat. So, when you use a power with the runic keyword, you can select the rune of destruction or protection, but don't get the associated bonus to attack rolls or resistance to damage without the rune master feat.

But what about Multiclassing? All the PHB3 says is that you gain the Rune of Mending power. I assume that because the runic keyword is still there in powers you take through multiclassing, you can choose between destruction and protection, but do you get the associated extra benefit? Unless I'm missing something, the PHB3 doesn't say...I would guess that because it doesn't say you also receive the rune master class feature, you dno't get it, but I wanted to be sure!

Aulirophile

First Post
Let's pretend the Runepriest class doesn't exist at all, for a moment.

When you use a Power with the Runic keyword, no matter who you are, what class you are, what level you are, etc., you enter that Runestate and get the associated Rider. This is explicit under the "Runic" keyword entry in the PHB3.

The only thing that Rune Mastery gives, the class feature, is the semi-aura like benefit. You cannot have this without being a Runepriest or a Hybrid Runepriest who took it as a Hybrid Talent. Has nothing to do with Riders, being in a Runestate, or etc. Multiclassers don't get it.

The last bit is relevant because if you MC and take a Runepriest PP that offers a Runestate, it will work.

Last edited:

tobiasosir

First Post
Thanks, all...this confirms my suspicions. I had thought as much--and ultimately, it's not a big deal as with the way our party is built, only one of them will be close enough to benifit most of the time--but I want to know the ins and outs of the class!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads