RUNEQUEST: Classic Game Is Being Revived On Kickstarter

Runequest was created back in the 1970s by Chaosium. It was probably one of the bigger systems at the time, along with D&D and Traveller, with its setting of Glorantha and its new percentile system. This year was Chaosium's 40th anniversary. Next year is Glorantha's 50th anniversary. And they're trying to bring the classic Runequest 2E back into print! "Bringing the iconic RuneQuest 2nd edition rulebook back into print to kick-off the 50th Anniversary of Glorantha celebrations in 2016."

Runequest was created back in the 1970s by Chaosium. It was probably one of the bigger systems at the time, along with D&D and Traveller, with its setting of Glorantha and its new percentile system. This year was Chaosium's 40th anniversary. Next year is Glorantha's 50th anniversary. And they're trying to bring the classic Runequest 2E back into print! "Bringing the iconic RuneQuest 2nd edition rulebook back into print to kick-off the 50th Anniversary of Glorantha celebrations in 2016."

photo-original.jpg

It's a Kickstarter which just launched, and has almost reached its $30,000 goal already. $15 gets you the PDF, and $30 gets you the hardcover (which is considerably less than many Kickstarter hardcovers these days!) For a bit more, you can get "leatherette" versions with dustaackets, GM screens, and so on. Shipping, of course, is as much as the book itself in some countries, as is fairly common these days.

The hardcover is 144 pages, and includes 2nd Edition errata. There's extra material in the appendices. The book is complete, ready to print, and PDF versions are available as soon as the Kickstarter ends.

There's a review of Runequest 2E from 2009 by EN World member MonsterMash.

For someone like me who already owns BRP, Magic World, Mongoos RuneQuest, Legend, OpenQuest 1e & 2e, RuneQuest 6 what would RQ2 have to offer me besides the collector factor? Does anyone find it superior mechanically to any of the versions I've listed that I already own? I never got to read or play RQ2.
If you already own all those, why wouldn't you want to complete your collection with what started it all?

In terms of actual game play the eye opener lies in how concise the rules and setting are in their presentation. It's a factor in modern RPGs that we have become inured to massively fat rulebooks.

pemerton

Legend
In terms of actual game play the eye opener lies in how concise the rules and setting are in their presentation. It's a factor in modern RPGs that we have become inured to massively fat rulebooks.
I have 3 or 4 versions of the AH edition (RQ3?) - a large softbound ("Deluxe"), a version in 5 paper-bound volumes, a less deluxe version in 2 paper-bound volumes (fewer monsters and spells, mostly, and no setting) and a slim hardbound version published by GW under licence.

The latter is a very good example of concise presentation, though RQ2 (which I think I've never seen) may be even superior in that respect.

daddystabz

Explorer
I just can't see me using RQ2 and since I'm not running an RPG museum I don't really need it for nostalgia/historical significance. I'd probably just run OpenQuest 2 over this.

Given the recent history of Chaosium taking forever to fulfill Kickstarters, I'll wait and buy it when (and if) it's actually completed and printed. I know the company is under new management, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.

Given the recent history of Chaosium taking forever to fulfill Kickstarters, I'll wait and buy it when (and if) it's actually completed and printed. I know the company is under new management, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ng-Revived-On-Kickstarter/page3#ixzz3tQjRHp3E

A legitimate concern off set, somewhat, by it not being a Chaosium campaign, and the statement that pdfs will be sent out on completion of the campaign, and the printed copies sent out immediately after they are printed. The actual text, layout, printing set up are already done.

Basically, Moon Design had to take a financial hit to bail out Chaosium, now they are raising coffers again with their IP assets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
MOB from Chaosium here. The KS is entering its last 48 hours and has just past the 160K mark, which unlocks the PAVIS scenario pack stretch goal. We've also just added a $99 SHAMAN backer level, which is PDF only - which includes PDFs of RuneQuest Classic Edition, RuneQuest 1, handouts, the GM screen, Old School Source Pack, and ALL the Stretch Goals (11 unlocked so far).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads