• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a session of Basic D&D -- my game group's experience

Grimstaff

Explorer
Cool notes BG!

B1 is a great showcase of the exploratory side of D&D.

Its very likely B1 was written as an OD&D module originally. With that in mind, I'd recommend using the alternate OD&D monster xp rules: 1HD = 100xp, 2HD = 200xp, and so on, if you want faster leveling.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
It's beyond "very likely." It was written for Dungeons & Dragons as it existed in 1978. TSR didn't distinguish between what we now call "Basic" and "Original" D&D. They were the same game, published concurrently for three years. The former an introduction to the latter. The pastel version of B1 is clearly an OD&D product. The Brown version was lightly edited to be updated to the 1981 Moldvay version of D&D.

And yes, using the original D&D xp set up instead of the one in the Greyhawk Supplement/Holmes book would very likely make up for a lot of the xp lost due to the light amount of treasure.

Ariosto

First Post
100 x.p. per h.d. by itself puts the emphasis even more on getting into fights with monsters -- without being rewarding enough to make surviving all those fights to reach second level very likely. I like it, but in conjunction with a fair number of lairs with treasures in the thousands of gold pieces.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I use 100 xp/hd and my players nevertheless scorn combat as a source of advancement. In our last session they killed 52 HD worth of creatures and it still came to less than 700 xp apiece. We start PCs at 3rd, so you're unlikely to survive long enough to hit 4th if you don't learn to avoid fights. I like 100 xp/hd because it's easy to calculate, and gives some reward for seeking overwhelming victories where you slaughter many foes, Kane-style. Plus it pleases the LBB-only grognard in me!

Votan

Explorer
i use 100 xp/hd and my players nevertheless scorn combat as a source of advancement. In our last session they killed 52 hd worth of creatures and it still came to less than 700 xp apiece. We start pcs at 3rd, so you're unlikely to survive long enough to hit 4th if you don't learn to avoid fights. I like 100 xp/hd because it's easy to calculate, and gives some reward for seeking overwhelming victories where you slaughter many foes, kane-style. Plus it pleases the lbb-only grognard in me!

lbb??

Votan

Explorer
Roll ability scores, 3d6, in order, no arranging or changing. (There’s an option for lowering certain stats by 2 points to raise a certain other stat 1 point, but I skipped this for our first time.) The overall ability score range fell between 16 and 7. No one rolled up a “helpless character.”

-- Ability score order in BD&D is different than in the contemporary editions: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma

Check the ability score tables for modifiers.

-- Ability score modifier grouping in BD&D is different than in the contemporary editions: 3, 4-5, 6-8, 9-12 (average), 13-15, 16-17, 18
-- Strength modifies attack, damage, and open doors rolls
-- Intelligence gives bonus languages (1 to 3)
-- Wisdom modifies saving throws versus magic
-- Dexterity modifies range attacks and AC
-- Constitution modifies hit points
-- Charisma modifies encounter reaction rolls, and sets max number and morale of hirelings

I liked this version of ability scores a lot. I think the lower dependence on them was a purely good thing and rolling them in order resulted in interesting character decisions. I also found the larger range of no bonus or penalty reduced the "swingyness" of character generation!

Ariosto

First Post
I am not taking issue with 100 x.p./h.d., which I myself used. I am taking issue with the notion that it solves the problems that too-small treasures pose.

You can stock B1 as 3rd level, but that's not the default -- and it would bring the shortage of treasure even more into sharp relief. (There are potentially too-great treasures in, e.g., the trophy room, if the DM is overly generous in adjudication. A better spread may reduce the temptation.)

FWIW, I think the 100 XP per hit die guideline is viable if you treat it as a guideline, and if you apply the relative XP rules from pg. 18 of Men & Magic (i.e. reduced XP according to the ratio when the total PC levels outweigh the monster levels). That helps in keeping higher level PCs from seeing much benefit in hanging around the first level to take out gangs of wimp monsters for a 100 xp per HD reward.

Remove ads