• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running Palladium Fantasy RPG

Gilwen

Explorer
I loved first edition. My favorite monster to use was the Zavor...had the nasty ability to split into separate creatures when struck witha magic item. Favorite spell carpet of adhesion.

gil

pawsplay

Hero
Yeah, that one always annoyed me. The fluff says rune weapons are unbelievably rare and kings will give up their kingdoms just to possess one. The actual treasure tables imply the existence of thousands of the stupid things, and sure enough every 3rd NPC has one. :hmm:

Yeah, runeswords are kind of the adamantium skeletons of Palladium.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, runeswords are kind of the adamantium skeletons of Palladium.

I don't know, the few I saw written up in Paladium did a pretty good job of making your life miserable. Heck I had a 9th level character that had one and I hated it. It ate my PC's armor so fast he fought naked many times. It was one written up in some adventure where it was found in a cave along the coast of the ocean. The tide coming in and out was dangerous to us as well.

Voadam

Legend
Don't go by the selling prices for a lot of things. There are markets for buying wizards' tongues, dragon flesh, etc. My memory is we killed a sea serpent or some other huge multi-ton beast with valuable bones or meat, sold its body for hundreds of gold per pound as described in the book and bought up ridiculous a la carte magic. This route turns the game into monte hall quickly so I'd advise to be aware of the issue and rule accordingly.

Expect combat to go like old edition D&D but slower as there are the defense rolls, and corresponding increases to wittling down hps, which there are more of (basically getting D&D hp plus con as a starting bonus). Armor tracking is another paperwork task.

Dive into the flavor of the world and the races and classes etc. though. It is great descriptive stuff to base a game on.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Don't go by the selling prices for a lot of things. There are markets for buying wizards' tongues, dragon flesh, etc. My memory is we killed a sea serpent or some other huge multi-ton beast with valuable bones or meat, sold its body for hundreds of gold per pound as described in the book and bought up ridiculous a la carte magic. This route turns the game into monte hall quickly so I'd advise to be aware of the issue and rule accordingly.
Yeah, what I heard when rolling up my first PFRPG character was something like: "You're going to play an Elf? Do you have any idea how much their body parts are worth?" The party didn't kill the character for the gold they could get for his organs, but I had to talk fast to convince them he was worth more to them alive in the long run! Fun times!

Neil Bishop

First Post
I loved the idea behind the sword Deathkiss that appears in the adventure included in the 1st edition rule book. Imagine having to roll the rough equivalent of a saving throw to know that you have been damaged by it! I have been meaning to include this in a D&D game for a long time but keep neglecting to do it.

Remove ads