D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Blackjack

First Post
I think Caldwell was the only one who hadn’t used their Daily. (Hey, Blackjack... is that true? And if so, what were you waiting for? :))
It's true. What was I waiting for? The right time to enter melee! At the start of the fight I was running around trying to keep Logan alive; thereafter, I deemed it better to focus on our top priority -- getting the kid. Someone had to grab the kid, and everyone else in the party but Logan was already engaged in the combat; given the configuration of the battle at that point, with me behind Logan, I figured it'd be better to send him back in, to flank with you, than to rush around him and enter the fray myself.

But let me echo Sagiro: this session was indeed twelve kinds of awesome.

I luuurve 4e's movement-related powers -- whether they're the ones that let the PC move before/after an attack (like the rogue's at-will Deft Strike) or the ones that let the PC move the monsters around (like the wizard's at-will Thunderwave, or the rogue's encounter 1 Positioning Strike).

I think one of the keys when DMing 4e, as touched on in this thread, is that the monsters should move around too. It's simplistic (and a bit insulting ;) ), but for the players, it's often "Monkey see, monkey do." If the DM sets the example, the players will often follow. Even if the monsters are going to absorb OAs or fighter power punishment, move 'em! The game is boring when people just stand next to each other and slug away.

Andor

First Post
Also, after the battle, our Grey Guard cloak pins -- made of some mystery-substance called "Witch-water," glowed with power, and became +1 cloak pins (neck slot) -- woot! (And a very cool way to deliver a treasure parcel.)

Am I the only one who got creeped out by Witch Hunter Robin flashbacks on reading about the glowy vials of witch water?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I luuurve 4e's movement-related powers -- whether they're the ones that let the PC move before/after an attack (like the rogue's at-will Deft Strike) or the ones that let the PC move the monsters around (like the wizard's at-will Thunderwave, or the rogue's encounter 1 Positioning Strike).

I think one of the keys when DMing 4e, as touched on in this thread, is that the monsters should move around too. It's simplistic (and a bit insulting ;) ), but for the players, it's often "Monkey see, monkey do." If the DM sets the example, the players will often follow. Even if the monsters are going to absorb OAs or fighter power punishment, move 'em! The game is boring when people just stand next to each other and slug away.

I completely agree with this. I'm lucky to have Khynal in my group, who loves to stride forwards and use his Thunderwave. This means monsters go EVERYWHERE in combats, and I've started to pick up on other monsters needing to do the same.

When you've got sneaky monsters trying to run through the lines and get to the Cleric/Wizard/Warlock, suddenly everything kicks up a notch for the players!

theskyfullofdust

First Post
This is a good thread: when's the next installment?

I played my first game (as a player) at the weekend, and I liked how combat was a lot more fun than 3.5. Our DM was very much a 'yes' DM, and we were moving a hell of a lot and using all sorts of stunts.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Our game falls on Thanksgiving this week, so we're canceled. Next game is two weeks from now on 12/9. Too far away! I have some interesting things planned...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
D'ohhh, I was just wondering when the next post for this was going to occur. Bring back the dog gobblers!!
They've apparently sealed the dog-gobblers behind their faerie-door by piling iron in front of it. The PCs are the heroes of Grat, even if it's a small town of halfling fishermen.

But other things are afoot.

Speaking from a game-planning perspective, this is a good opportunity for me to give them two choices and let them select the style of adventure they want right now. Both could potentially be done in either order, but in both cases something will be different if it's completed sooner rather than later. That makes their choice meaningful, even if they don't know and understand what the stakes are if they delay. It's a simple branching path, but it's a nice technique for a low level campaign.

Aravis

First Post
Speaking from a game-planning perspective, this is a good opportunity for me to give them two choices and let them select the style of adventure they want right now. Both could potentially be done in either order, but in both cases something will be different if it's completed sooner rather than later. That makes their choice meaningful, even if they don't know and understand what the stakes are if they delay. It's a simple branching path, but it's a nice technique for a low level campaign.

But then you know us. What if we steadfastly refuse to take either of the two choices and make up a third choice instead?

Remove ads