• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Blackjack

First Post
I believe his words were "Do you not even remember all the people whose graves you robbed?"
Er, actually, it was, "Don't you even remember what you did to my sister?" This led me to believe he was the sister of someone from my backstory. Only after the combat started did I learn these were Vodisians, and I was incorrect.

Last edited:

Iceman

First Post
I don't typically blow an entire wad in a single round. I like to save Low Slash for when I miss with my standard action, so I can still get my sneak attack damage in for the round.
Always a good idea - something the rogue in our home group has picked up on as well.

At 7th level, I was usually doing 1d4+5+2d8+3, for about 20 points of damage in a typical round. Occasional crappy dice notwithstanding, I was at +16 to hit with CA (which I almost always had), so i was hitting most of the time. Still, 20 damage per round doesn't seem particularly high to me for a 7th level striker.
Actually, I don't think it's that bad. A big part might be the weapon, which I imagine is an obvious observation. ;)
If you were using a rapier instead, that's two points per [W] more. (( but then it cannot be thrown and takes a feat and so on, i know *shrug* ))

My archer, at 7th with twin strike, did 2d12 + d6 + 10 iff he hit with both shots, but his attack was only +13 (and rarely getting CA) so 60% of the time or so, it was d12 + d6 + 5 per round. And no one batted an eye at consistent mid-teen dmg every round, with good rounds in mid 20's.

At 8th level I'll be doing 1d4+7+2d8+5, for typical damage of 24. So, in your scenario, if I blow Low Slash and an Action Point in the same round and I have CA on the enemy, and I hit with all three attacks, I rate to do (1d4+7+2d8+5) x2, plus another 1d4+7+5 for low slash, which is an average of 62 points.
Again, I think that's pretty nice for nothing but two at-wills and the minor encounter power.
Throw in a [2W] encounter power that adds your strength to the dmg regardless of SA (or some other boost, such as Bloodbath) and you can have one very nice nova round every fight. And *that's* what a striker should be able to do, imo.

Also, regarding Slaying Action, we usually have non-combat encounters between combats, so with most combats we earn a Milestone and an additional Action Point.
Yeah, my expectation when considering feats is to assume an AP in any fight you'll want it. Either because you forgo using one in one fight or because you get those other scenes mixed in there.
So slaying action, to me, equals 2d8+5 dmg per fight. I'd call that worth the slot.

Whereas other feats of a similar nature (AP or racial-power dependent) often look soft because their once-per-encounter restriction is Not paid off with a decent-enough benefit.

Cheers.
-VIC

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Apropos of nothing: The Merchant Prince group (my other campaign) is down south in Snakejaw, in the remnants of the old dragonborn empire Arkhosia. While the Grey Guard were having a city flattened around them, the Merchant Princes fought off an assassination while naked in a steam bath, then were given a reward before being invited to stay in a subpalace and attend a dragonborn opera (the ones where all the melee on stage is real fighting.) The heroes were draped in rich fabrics and given dinner. There is a festival going on. There was not a swamp in sight.

I think running two simultaneous campaigns would be much tougher if they had a similar tone. The Merchant Prince heroes are from very high society and are typically treated as such, but they're adventuring on the southern jungle continent that hasn't yet been colonized by Capria. That sets up some fascinating social challenges and makes for an exploration- and politics-heavy game. In comparison, the Grey Guard are politically neutral monster-hunters in the middle of great political upheaval.

I don't have much of a point with this, other than to say it's good to think about the theme of each of your games. Both of these ongoing campaigns are going to change and intersect in some interesting ways. Making sure they feel different and distinct will help.

Blackjack

First Post
but they're adventuring on the southern jungle continent that hasn't yet been colonized by Capria.
Indeed, it's a tough living in that uncolonized wilderness, where the group is routinely forced to cope with big fancy ships, large amounts of wealth, and spending time in saunas.

-a member of the Grey Guard
who needs to stop for a bit to get all this swamp muck out of his ash-covered boots

(There's a bit of friendly rivalry between the two groups. :) )

the Jester

Legend
Both of these ongoing campaigns are going to change and intersect in some interesting ways. Making sure they feel different and distinct will help.

Any chance you'll ever have a crossover and maybe change up the groups a little (trade a couple players from one group to the other) or something? Or maybe do a "JLA vs. Avengers" style misunderstanding-fight-teamup type thing?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh man. This is in the 4e forum now.
Yup. It's super-4e-specific, so this is definitely the right place for it. (If it were more story-based and not mechanics-based, it'd be in Story Hour instead.)

I don't foresee a crossover between the two groups. I have a personal dislike for that sort of self-referential game, so I tend to avoid them. Besides, they'd spend the whole time comparing their warforged and swamp exposure.

Blood Jester

First Post
Indeed, it's a tough living in that uncolonized wilderness, where the group is routinely forced to cope with big fancy ships, large amounts of wealth, and spending time in saunas.

-a member of the Grey Guard
who needs to stop for a bit to get all this swamp muck out of his ash-covered boots

(There's a bit of friendly rivalry between the two groups. :) )

Rivalry?

Would it help you feel better if we sent over some petit fours and a bottle of this amazing wine I picked up from the mansion on the plantation we just acquired a couple of weeks ago? :angel:

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
Rivalry?

Would it help you feel better if we sent over some petit fours and a bottle of this amazing wine I picked up from the mansion on the plantation we just acquired a couple of weeks ago? :angel:

We did send them cake not three months ago!

And, excuse me, but we were attacked IN THE BATH! I mean, seriously, if the people at court knew the barbarism of this backwater town...

Remove ads